upper curve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• upper curve

hi i have a boston brace for my lower curve. which was 29 degrees before i got my brace. i also have an upper curve of 17 degrees. i guess we're just hoping it doesn't get worse. if it does what will happen is there like a different kind of brace??? (right now mine is only for my lower curve).
    LIBBY

14 yrs old
    28 t
    29 L before brace
    right now: 21 L
    now i'm doing basketball, ballet, and piano

Boston Brace

Hey
    I wore a Boston Brace when my curves were in the late 20's to early 30's before I had it removed. There is another brace but you may have to do some research into it.
    2002 - 42 degree curve (top) and 38 degree curve (bottom)

2003 - 43 degree curve (top) and 37 degree curve (bottom)

2007 - 46 degree curve (top) and 48 degree curve (bottom)

Anterior/Posterior surgery 17th of July and 31st of July 2007 and 2.5 cm's taller

Comment

hey, Libby!
      If your upper curve does become worse, I believe the next brace they would put you in is the kind I wore- a TLSO (I think it stands for Thoracic Lumbar Sacral Orthopedic). It's used for curves that are too high for a Boston brace and too low for a Milwaukee... with the peak of the curve kind of between the bottom of your shoulder blades. So, depending on where your upper curve actually is, your doctor may put you in a TLSO (which still holds your lower curve). The TLSO will go up to your upper back, but (the nice thing) it doesn't go above your shoulders at all. One thing, though- if you're fairly close to being done growing, they most likely won't change the brace you're wearing because there won't be a good chance of your upper curve progressing. I wasn't "done" growing according to the Risser scale until I was 16, but a lot of people are done by 15, so you're close. If you have any questions, I know way too much about it because I was in mine for so long, so just ask!

-Rachel
      diagnosed at 11, braced at 13
      TLSO brace for 3 years
      now: 19 years old, 37 T & 20 L

Comment

Working...
      X