Back to Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to Work

Tomorrow is the day I go back to work full time. Wish me well as I will undoubtedly need it. I know it's going to be tough at first, but I'm hoping I'll be ready. I will need to take lots of breaks so I can get up and walk around. Otherwise, my back and ribs really start to hurt. I am anticipating being totally wiped out be the end of the day. I am curious to know how it went for those of you who had to return to work after surgery? Did you start part-time and work your way back into a full-time schedule? Were you exhausted? Did you regret returning when you did? I feel like I am ready, although I am not looking forward to getting up before the crack of dawn. School also starts tomorrow so it will be a fun filled day for all!
    Brandi
    Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
    Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
    L1-S1
    Dr. William Lauerman
    Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
    Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
    http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Good luck tomorrow! I'll be curious to know what everyone says also about their first day back at work. My surgerie(s) were Aug. 3rd & 8th....so I assume I'll return in mid-September...or late September...don't know. I hate to use up all my sick time. But I don't want to push it either...and go back too soon.

Comment

Thanks, Not only did I use up all my sick leave, I also exhausted all my vacation time as well. I am lucky enough to have short-term and long-term disability insurance through my employer and had to use up all my leave before benefits kicked in.
      Brandi
      L1-S1
      Dr. William Lauerman
      Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback

Comment

I went to work part time (4 hours per day) at week 11. I was exhausted at the end of each day and found that I needed lots of breaks. I was also given an electronic desk that raises and lowers as I needed to alternate between sitting and standing. A few weeks later, I went to 6 hours per day and one week past my 4 months mark, I was back to 8 hours per day. Each increase in hours left me exhausted for the first week, but it felt great to get back to work and get out of the house! I admit, that things were a bit foggy for the first few weeks, but I don't regret at all the timing of my return to work.

I took a week of sick time, then my STD (short-term disability) benefits kicked in. When I returned to work part-time, I was still paid for my out of office time off through my STD benefits. Fortunately, I work for an insurance company, so they were really good about my time off and gradual return to work.

Comment

Best of luck tommarow BBEST! I'm excited for you! I am soooooo jealous! I had to apply for Social Security Disability- as my employer (who I plan on suing the heck out of by the way!!!) decided to tell me they no longer want me back as I am "too much of a liability and would only consider me to come back part-time, no benefits and took away my full pension plan too! I was soooo looking forward to going back to work! Oh well, things happen and I admit that I am not too awful sure anyhow if I would be able to handle my job now post-op. I was/am (not sure how to put that one now) an Insurance Underwriter. High Stress for sure and a definite sit down 8-10 hrs a day job. Prob is- now I am uninsurable and most insurance companies will want me to pass a physical and they will undoubtfully pull my MIB and see what has gone on- so now I am unemployable. Okay sorry BBEST- I sure did not mean to get into a full blown pity party here- I'm just down right pissed right now. Please let me know how it goes for you- and good luck with both work tommarow and with school starting! Sorry for the pity party- but by the way has anyone else out there dealt with this type of employer crap? Thanks!
          Angela
          29 y/o f w/76 degree curve.Surgery done on June 26th, A/P, rods, instumentaion, rib removal- now 18 degrees!!

Comment

Wishing you lots of luck tomorrow....

Hi Brandi,

I hope your day tomorrow will go by smoothly and not so tiring!!

I can only imagine how you feel .... coming back to work ad not knowing how your body will react but you might be just fine and so good luck tomorrow. I would also love to know how it will be going back since I am also nervous about it myself. I have surgery coming up on Sep 19 and so this has been one of my worries as well!!!

Well good luck and hope you have a great day tomorrow!!

Mariya
            30 yrs, mom to two girls ages 9 and 7
            8/9/04 - 18* thoracic and 42* lumbar
            3/7/06 - 22* thoracic and 45* lumbar (38*kyphosis)
            4/8/08 - 38* thoracic and 50-52* lumbar (54* kyphosis)

2007 - Scheduled surgery but cancelled due to no major health issues at the time.
            2011 - Back pain, spasms, sciatica, difficulty doing any physical work/activities w/o following back pain and spasms. Revisiting surgery decision and soon to schedule a doctors appointment to determine the progression since 2008.

Comment

Hi Brandi,

I think it's remarkable that you are going back to work so soon!!! At 3 months post-op I couldn't return to my job. You are doing great!!!

Have a great day and don't push yourself too hard.

Shari

Comment

Brandi:

Sending happy thoughts your way for a succesful first day back at work!

Just wanted to say to everyone, reading thru the different posts and seeing how much adults have to go thru with surgery, recovery, etc. makes me feel better about our decision to have our son's surgery at the age of 13. As much as it hurts to see him in pain and limited in his activites, I know it would be far worse for him down the road if we hadn't done this now. I feel very fortunate to be able to learn from everyone's experiences and I truly wish everyone well in their individual journies.
                Laurie
                mom to Josh age 15, double curves 77T/55L Posterior spinal fusion done at age 13 on July 10, 2006 from T2 - L5 Now 35T/25L

Comment

Hi Laurie,

We all wish happy thoughts for you as well. The technology today is so much more advance than when most of us were his age. It will most likely be hard on you at first, but I seriously doubt that you will regret making this decision down the road. Don't be too hard on yourself for making such an extreme decision. His future will reflect your courage and his!!! That's all that matters.

Shari

Comment

Well, I made it through the day! I am a little tired and sore, but I thought it would be worse. It was great to be back, to feel like I am a part of society again. Everyone was happy to see me and of course they had lots of questions. The worst part of the day was waking up early. I'm ready to do it all over again tomorrow (after a hot bath and good nights sleep of course ).
                    Brandi
                    L1-S1
                    Dr. William Lauerman

Comment

Glad to hear your first day back went well Brandi! As difficult as it will seem, try to get some rest throughout the day. Tomorrow or Wednesday might be your toughest days as you had a lot of excitement today and that probably helped you get through the day. Good luck and keep up the great improvement!

Comment

That sounds great Brandi! Congrats on being back at work!! I'm happy for you!
                        Angela
                        29 y/o f w/76 degree curve.Surgery done on June 26th, A/P, rods, instumentaion, rib removal- now 18 degrees!!

Comment

Working...
                        X