sciatic nerve pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sciatic nerve pain

anyone else suffer with sciatic nerve pain? i had pain in my left leg that ran from my hip to the botto of my leg..then went away after i had fallen.well now after my blood patch i was asked to lay flat for 4 hours at the hospital so it would stay ok.well after that i gotr the sharp shooting pain again in that leg and im wondering if its common with scolioisis? they gave me pain medicine for it and it takes away the pain but i dont want to keep taking it.any advice for the pain? and does it usually go away? trudy,
    Trudy T60 L70 posterior surgery feb.8th 2007

Very common with scoliosis

Hi Gayle,

Sciatic leg and hip pain seems to be one of the most common things that people on this board with scoliosis have, especially with a lumbar curve. I had problems with it for years before my surgery. They treated it with physical therapy (helped), pain injections (didn't help much), lower back traction (from a chiropractor, helped temporarily), also a heel lift (my pelvis is tilted from the scoliosis causing one hip to be higher than the other).

I found on my own that icing helps; also certain stretches and exercises that the physical therapist gives you will help if done regularly.

Not sure if you are looking into surgery; some people say that it gets better or goes away after their scoliosis surgery; others say it got worse. I had surgery 5 weeks ago and mine seems to be about the same. My pelvis is still uneven although my spine is straiter.

Deb

Comment

My sciatic pain was lessened after surgery, it came on an off. When it got too bad I went in for some PT. But this last surgery I got a good chair and since sitting not low and not on couches that are not firm, it really has helped even more. The pillow between or under knees while sleeping and lying down is now imperative. I have read that Neurontin can help too.

Since I have better posture and sit better I have noticed how much it affects back pain. I got a few books from the library saying just how to sit and stand, and on what, how to pick up stuff, etc. I believe it affects a very high percentage of people's back pain, and everybody-wether they have back pain, scoliosis or not-should inform themselves about it, as it can prevent a lot of pain and injuries.
      35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
      Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
      Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
      Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
      Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Working...
      X