Exercise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exercise?

I was just wondering when you could resume normal physical activity after surgery. I know that every one is different, but a general idea. I try and stay active and I am worried about the long period of inactivity. I like to do step aerobics, weight training and jogging. I know that I can walk, but how long before I am back to my usual routine?

Hi Dorigirl...

You absolutely need to check with your surgeon about his/her recommendations. With that said, I have a chart on resuming activities on my website:

http://www.scoliosislinks.com/PostSurgActivities.htm

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Linda, I am curious how old those reccomendations are. For example it says no waterskiing for one year. My Dr. said NO way never again. As did my P.T. Due to the speed and impact no fusion patient should do that.

Dorigirl, My Dr. wasn't thrilled when at my 3 month appt. I asked about P.T. I waited till 4 months and started easy stuff. I have noticed the common restriction we all seem to have is on lifting. 5 lbs. till 3 months then up to 10 lbs. till 6 months. I think it's lifted at 6 months from what I have read but I won't know for sure till my 6 month check up next week. I tried fast walking on the treadmill and it hurts. Obviously only 10 lbs is what I can lift for now. But I felt I got some workout from even just that amount in the gym. (I was a weightlifter prior to surgery.) I never did step aerobics ( I would end up just dancing to the beat.) I do most normal things these days. I catch myself dancing around the house, I pull weeds, shop the mall. My life is pretty much normal except for the discomfort when I over do it and the lifting restrictions. We own jet skiis I won't be on till next year due to the rough ride. But, that is all I think I am not doing these days. Hope that helps.

Comment

Hi Suzy....

That's why I said to check with one's own surgeon. The recommendations are only about a year old. I've known doctors who tell their patients they have no restrictions and others who tell their patients they should not do anything to physical.

In The Scoliosis Sourcebook Michael Neuwirth writes:
        "After six months, when you visit your othopedist for the third time, you can do absolutely anything -- all activities without restrictions of any kind -- as long as your x-rays look good. You can ski or sky dive, whatever you want to do. Although complete fusion usually takes between six months and a year, I let my patients be fully active after six months because by this time the fusion has progressed to a significant degree."

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

From what I have read and info I have gathered, it's usually six months for some and others who are more conservative a year.

I know even if I wanted to I can't jog or do anything that makes me jump, it hurts too much.
          35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
          Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
          Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
          Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
          Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

I had a PT and OT visit me twice a week for the first 6 weeks post op and did very light sitting exercises with each of them to get my muscles back in working order. At 4 months post-op, I started PT at a facility near my home for lower back stiffness. I was on the eliptical, stationary bike, stair climber, used weights, an exercise ball and the Total Gym everyday as part of my workout and after 2 weeks, the workout got pretty intense. It felt great though and my body responded really well to it.

If your surgeon clears you and feels that you're ready, I'm sure that you could slowly work your way back to step aerobics. I have tons of energy and now I find myself dancing around the house, running around the backyard with the dog, practicing self defense (complete with karate kicks) and it doesn't hurt at all. I started to really feel great at about 6-9 months post op. BUT....that's me. Like Linda suggested, check with your surgeon.

At one year post-op, my surgeon cleared me 100% to do, in his words, "Anything and everything that you did before sugery. Don't be afraid to do anything. You have no limits on whatever it is you want to do" I asked about skydiving (something I've done in the past) and he said it would be fine. As would softball, golf & hiking...

Comment

Wow Heidi, that's really amazing. I know I've tried to run as much as I wanted to it just wasn't happening(very slow), even in my years where I had the least pain possible.
              35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
              Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
              Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
              Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
              Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

Working...
              X