Ibuprofen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ibuprofen?

I had surgery over a week ago...and am weening myself off of the Hydrocodone. Is it not good to take Advil? (because it's an anti-inflammatory)? Any suggestions on any other OTC pain med to take?

Is your surgeon o.k. with you weaning yourself off your meds so soon? You just had surgery a week ago, right? I really do not know of anything OTC that can help with post-surgical pain. I had surgery in May and am still on Oxycontin twice per day. In fact, I just refilled my prescription the day before yesterday and will likely be on narcotic meds a few months longer.
    Brandi
    Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
    Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
    L1-S1
    Dr. William Lauerman
    Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
    Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
    http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

I began taking less of my hydrocodone at about week 3 or 4 and taking Tylenol in it's place. With my surgeon's ok, I was off of it totally by week 8, so it is possible for you to be off of your pain meds shortly after surgery, it just depends on the extent of your surgery, your comfort level with pain meds (I wanted off of them as soon as possible!) and your pain levels.

As for ibuprofen, my surgeon did not allow me to take it for one year post op as some studies have shown that it is a bone-growth inhibitor. You'll definitely need to check with your surgeon as to whether he/she feels your ready to move completely or even partially off of your pain meds and as to whether ibuprofen is ok for you to take. Each surgeon's recommendation is different... Good luck!

Comment

Thanks!

I will definitely call my surgeon tomorrow to find out what type of meds I should take ...and will stop with taking the Ibuprofen. Thanks everyone!

Comment

Working...
        X