Before and After

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Before and After

I'm just wondering what were degrees were before your operation and what they are post op.

I might as well start...
    Jessica:

Before the operation, on my first appointment after my diagnosis (which would've been around February/April 2002) my degrees were 95 (top) and 70 (bottom). Before my surgery (August 2002) I was supposed to go in for another x-ray but time ran out and it we weren't obliged to.

Now, October 2003, my top is fused together (11 whole vertebrae) being 48 degrees now. The bottom managed to decrease to 49 without anything there. I do have 2 iosoles(?) rods but they're there for the fused bone. My surgeon thought it would be best if he left my bottom spine alone to leave me with more flexibility and if there would be any complications then I would have to get them fused too but (thank-god!!!) I've seen him and I've been given the all-clear.

If you would like to know anything about me feel free to ask. Now share your info...
    **Jessica**

Jessica~ Hi I'm Lisa. Before my surgery, my spine was curved 58' on top and barely anything on the bottom. The bottom curve used to be bad but then my brace corrected it. After my surgery, I saw my x-rays and there is practically no curve!!! My doc didn't say what the curve was tho. Hmmmmmm... Since your curves are still 48 and 49' do you have to wear a brace to correct them still? Cuz some people get surgery on their backs for 45' or higher. Just wondering. ttyl
    Lisa

Comment

to Jessica

Tell me the pain straight after surgery and also what it feels like with rods

Comment

Sarah
        After my surgery, I was in a lot of pain. I couldn't move or anything. My nurses rolled me over every two hours. I can't really describe the pain except that it hurt sooo much and I wasen't expecting it. My doctor wanted me to be on morphine but it really didn't work for me. After two days of being on it and my nurses seeing that it wasen't working a bit, they finally called my doctor to get the okay to give me Demerale. <--spelling? The minute after they gave me that, my back felt SOO MUCH BETTER! I can't feel the rods in my back unless I lean against a hard surface. Then I can feel them which can get uncomforatable at times. My doctor said that not everyone can feel their rods though. Other than that tho, you won't be able to feel them when you walk or run. (that i know of) Sorry this is kinda long!
        Lisa

Comment

I have a question. We just found out my daughter is having surgery in January. She is twelve and she has worn a brace since she as 8 months old. We knew that she would have surgery but now that it is happening we are all a mess. One thing I am wondering is how much you were able to move after your recovery? Her top curve and bottom curve are just about 60, she is having two rods put in. I know she is going to be in a lot of pain for a while and miss 5-7 weeks of school. I am hoping we don't regret this. I guess we really dont have a choice though. How does it feel when you move? Do you eventually just get used to the stiffness? I would appreciate any information you could give me. I am trying to get her to come to this web site, but she refuses.
          Thanks, Jenn
          Jenn

Comment

Hi Jenn,
            Wow, she refuses to come to the website? As a 23 year old female who had this surgery when I was 13, I would encourage her to come to this site. It has been an AMAZING thing in my daily life already. I recently joined a few months ago, and before I did I felt lost...but now I know sooo many people are going through the same exact thing as I am....people you don't meet in your daily life. Anyways, I did have pain after my surgery. I had two rods put into my back as well. I don't remember too much of it now. I was on morphine at first, then Tylenol w/ codine. As far as the stiffness goes I know it was stiff for me to move with the brace on, so I think that helps prepare you for the ways you can move with rods in...both of them restrict you obviously. About a year after my surgery I ran track for all 4 years in high school and did cross country. No one really knew I had a back problem. I was girls' captain of both teams. I can't do some exercises because I do not wan to strain myself. And I'm not even sure if it's good to run b/c one doctor said the impact of the running could "jar" my back, but I found this out AFTER I had run track in high school. But you should not regret it. It's something that is a part of me and has always been...so it's my "normal." But I am now looking into scheduling an appt. for an update on my back and to see if I possibly need revision surgery....just preparing myself for whatever I may need. I would definitely encourage her to come to the forum to hear other people's stories before she goes in, b/c I know I would have liked to have had something like this b/c all I knew is what the doctor told me. If you have any other questions, let me know b/c I've been there...as well as most everyone else on this site! =)

--Julie

Comment

Julie,
              Thanks for information. It really does help me to prepare for it when I am more informed. I am going to try to get her to read your reply. Is it common to have to have more than one surgery? How much straighter was your back after surgery?
              Jenn
              Jenn

Comment

to Sarah1973

The pain the first week after surgery is the worst. But after that is slowly gets better. As for the rods, I can't feel them at all! Now that I am totally healed, (it's 4 years later) my back feels "normal". Aside from more limited flexibility and range of motion, I dont "feel" differrent.
                Rachel

Comment

i had a 60 and 65 curvature and neither decreased. o yeah. with the polls. the pain is crazy. argh.
                  there is worse pain than yours

Comment

question

just a question how is the operation like afterwards does it hurt at all because i have scoliosis and i am waiting for a letter to see when i could have it done plz tell me
                    thanks
                    Ben Thrower

Comment

Hi Jenn--don't worry if your daughter won't come to this site. My daughter is 12 years old and was diagnosed in August with Kyphoscoliosis and she also refuses to come to this site. She loves the information I relay to her that I've read, but won't look at the site herself. My advice: keep coming to the site. I've found more support, comfort and reassurance from this site than any doctor could ever provide. The doctors are great with the medical aspect, but this site has people who understand when our daughter's complain about wearing their braces; they understand our fears as parents; and they are just plain wonderful! To everyone on this site: THANK YOU and God bless you all. You have saved my sanity through all this.

Comment

Working...
                      X