Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm totally confused about the myelogram...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm totally confused about the myelogram...

I will be having a myelogram on Friday of this week. I have printed several instructions about what to do after the myelogram that I got off the internet. Some say to sit in a recliner or in bed with at least two pillows to keep head elevated to avoid headache. The instructions from my doctor's office say I must lay flat for the remainder of the day (preferable for 24 hours)

These seem to be opposites. I want to be sure to do whatever it takes to avoid the horrible headache that I hear so much about. Being in a hotel room, I won't have much comfort in the way of chairs or bed.

Hi...

You should do whatever they tell you when you have the procedure.

It seems that everyone gets different instructions. I had to stay at the hospital for, I think, 2 hours from the time the dye was injected. After that, they sent me off with instructions to take it a little easy. I had no headache or any other problem.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I had this procedure and the actual procedure was pretty easy. They kept me there two hours after but this was really because of the medication they gave me to calm me down. I stayed home one day from work. They told me to lay flat for two days. I went back to work and got the worst headache of my life. I had to go back for a "blood patch". Spinal fluid was leaking out of the hole they had made during the procedure causing a headache.

My advice is listen to what they tell you to do and do it.
      Background - Diagnosed in 1981 with a s-curve. Very progressive. Wore a Milwalkee brace from 1981-1986. I had back surgery in 1989....spinal fusion with Harrington rods and bone from my hip.

Comment

I was just like Linda. I laid around for the remainder of that day and I was fine. I also had to stay at the hospital a couple of hours to make sure I was ok. Just follow the instructions you are given is the best advice I can give.

Comment

Just a note to end this thread.......I had my myelogram and it wasn't bad at all! I spent so much time dreading it and it wasn't a problem. I followed their directions to lay (with slightly elevated pillow) for 24 hours. They said it was ok for me to get up to go to the bathroom and to sit up to eat a bite. I took some Tylenol P.M. and slept the afternoon and night away without any problem. By the next day I rested a lot but also went for a car ride and out to eat at a restaurant. No headaches!

All the "dread" was much worse than the procedure itself!
          Last edited by Marcia; 08-20-2006, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Marcia,

So glad to hear it wasn't bad after all. I will be having mine in Nov. I know it has to be a big relief to have one more thing done and out of the way.

Linda G.

Comment

Working...
            X