Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recent problems

Hi all new to here

I have congenital scoliosis and recently have had some nasty pain problems. At 1st i t has started on my lower back and mainly on the right sround the hip and down the leg this differs at time from numbing pain to pins and needles down the back but i always have a sharp pain fron the lower centre of the back and this is more intense when sitting. As time is going on it seems to effect the rest of my back more as though my body is twisting.

During the the last few months i have had a few tests and have found out i have a horse shoe kidney in essence only 1 kidney which i believe is common in congenital scoliousis.

Has anyone had any troubles like this ?

Glad i found this site as its been very informative.

cheers
    Dave

Hi Dave - Welcome

My son is 11yrs old and was born with several structural anomalies including congenital scoliosis, a form of horseshoe kidney, a right clubfoot, etc. Yes, its fairly common to have malformations of the kidneys and even heart with congenital scoliosis. The kidneys function fine, they are just fused together.

Having fused kidneys means they both likely still function fine. The only problem would be if one failed, they couldn't remove one without the other (too many blood vessels connecting them to separate fused kidneys). Braydon has renal ultrasounds every year to keep an eye on his kidneys. So far, he's doing just fine.

My biggest worry for Braydon is that he'll have chronic back pain as an adult. I hope that doesn't happen, but I'm trying to be realistic about things like that.

Have you had a brain and full spine MRI to rule out any spinal cord abnormalities that may be causing your tingling/pain issues? Have they ruled out things like Chiari malformation or a tethered spinal cord?

Best wishes,
    Carmell
    mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Hi and thanks for reply

At the moment I have not had a MRI I did have a bone scan to make sure there were no infections and reffered to the physiotherapist for a few months but he has now reffered me back to my orthopaedic surgeon.

It seems as time is going on its not only my lower back but the rest of the back is becoming more painfull and more so on my right side.

My right arm has issues of going numb down 1 side and i have constant sore necks which often make me tired.

When my leg pain 1st started it was just around the back and stomach which was hurting and going numb then it has gradually started to go further.

I was off from work for atleast 6 months and went back and was only there for 3 months now back on the sick as it is very hard for me to stay in work due to the pain.

Im only 26 and feel like im falling apart, i have been in pain most of my life but at the moment this kind of pain is having a more physical and mentel effect and its starting to effect my sleeping alot more.

When i was young i had a upper body brace from neck to hips which seemed to have helped with the progression of the spine. I have noticed latley my right hip is more outward that it usually is.

Comment

Working...
      X