Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long were you under?

Hi,
    I'm having Anterior/Posterior surgery and i was told it will take about 8 hours i think that is such a long time under.

Would like to know how long others surgeries went for?

Also can anyone give me any pointers of things to do before surgery like strengthing my muscles or getting fit?

Thanks
    Had surgery May 28th 2007 Anterior/Posterior getting fused from T3 - L3

http://curvedgirl.blogspot.com

Hi LeeLee...

I was under for 11-12 hours.

The best advice I can give you would be to eat a good, balanced diet. Get some sort of aerobic exercise, and work on building up your thigh muscles. You'll be doing a lot of knee bends in the first 6 mos. or so post-op.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I was under for 12 hours. My surgeon originally thought 7-8 hours based on my x-rays, but once he was in there, he realized that he could get more correction and needed more time.

Comment

Hello

Hi! I was under 8 hours, twice.
        So do not be upset. Everything will be all right.
        Good luck. Majo

[
        QUOTE=LEELEE85]Hi,
        I'm having Anterior/Posterior surgery and i was told it will take about 8 hours i think that is such a long time under.

Would like to know how long others surgeries went for?

Also can anyone give me any pointers of things to do before surgery like strengthing my muscles or getting fit?

Thanks [/QUOTE]

Comment

I was under for 8 hours. I was originally told it would be about 10 but he was able to do what he needed to in less time. I know I sound like a broken record, but each case is different. Your's may require more time or even less it all depends.
          Brandi
          Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
          Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
          L1-S1
          Dr. William Lauerman
          Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
          Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
          http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

I was under for at least 5 hours, but I had posterior only and not anterior.

I would suggest working your thighs and legs, but not your back muscles, as they will be cut open and it could hurt more if they're strong and tight.

The thing is my thighs were of steel for this last surgery last December(I walked a lot and did a lot of stationary bicycling), but only a couple of days not walking made them feel like jell-o, wich was so weird and annoyed me. I am stobburn so I started my walking as soon as I could and the muscles came back pretty quickly.
            35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
            Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
            Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
            Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
            Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

My anterior surgery was on a Monday and lasted approx. 4 hours and my posterior was that Wed. and lasted about 7 hours. I did a lot of yoga which helped my mind and body. It made me less anxious and more flexible.
              Jenn
              37 y/o female
              60 degree lumbar
              45 degree thoracic
              1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
              T 5 to S 1
              NYC

Comment

My A/P was in two parts for a total of 15 hours
                SandyC

Comment

that's a long time. the doctor I saw today told me mine would last around 2 hours (whether I had it done posterior or anterior). wierrrd.

Comment

The first day I was under for 15 hours then 4 days later 7 hours.
                    Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
                    Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
                    Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
                    Fused T2 to sacrum
                    June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
                    MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

The first surgery, 14 1/2, second a week later, 10 1/2.
                      36 year old single mom of teens ages 14 & 15.
                      Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
                      Fused from T-3 to S-1 (sacrum)
                      Curve pre-op = 70 degrees
                      Curve post op = 20 degrees
                      No pain anymore!!
                      Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

Comment

Working...
                      X