Tethered cord

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tethered cord

Well I just learned last week that I have teathed spine. I have been experiencing incontinence and frequent urinary tract infections for about 8-9 months now. The neurosurgeoun looked at my MRI and he immedietly said tethered cord and I will most likely have to get surgery. He told me that he was not experienced enough on tethered spine and referred me to a neurosurgeon who he used work with. I had plans to go into the Army National Guard but with incontinence being a sympton that has been put on hold and I am scared that I may not be able to go after all. My question is mainly, is this surgery guaranteed, like will it work and reverse the side effects? I am not experiencing any pain or discomfort just incontinence and urinary tract infections. I really want to go to the army and if this is going to hold me back I will feel useless and ruined. By the way I am a 19 year old male who is in good shape(not sure if that matters or not). I hope I posted this is the right forum and hopefully tethered cord is somthing which is talked about on here.

Kylesal,

My son (age 11yrs old) had surgery to release a tethered spinal cord when he was 4 yrs old. His symptoms (occasional changes in bladder habits, occasional leg/foot pain/weakness, etc.) went away after his release surgery. He is doing very well now.

If you have been having incontinence problems for a long time, and your symptoms have increased over time, there is a chance you will have permanent damage to the nerves in that area. There is a great chance the symptoms will not get worse after surgery, and the bonus will be that the symptoms will go away completely.

I suggest you find a PEDIATRIC neurosurgeon who has treated many patients with tethered cord issues. There is a great team of neurosurgeons in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area who treat adults as well as pediatric cases. I don't know where you live.

Also, I know of a great email list for adults and parents of children who have tethered spinal cords. If you'd like to sign up, let me know.

My best,
    Carmell
    mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Thank you Carmell for your reply, if anyone else has any information regarding please reply because I am rather nervous about this whole thing and I really dont know what to do.

Comment

Working...
      X