Pre-op.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-op.....

Hi! I had my PRE-OP apptment yesterday & it was quite exhausting & dramatic to say the least....
    seems there is some history of clotting with my middle sister & her daughter(MTHFR factor) so I need to be tested.....partial update of the day on my blog--Lynne http://lynnebackattack.blogspot.com

Jeeze, Lynne, I hope this doesn't hold you up. On the other hand, you really don't want a blood clot with this surgery!!
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Hree's what I know on the whole clotting issue - I am genetically predisposed to get clots, I have factor V leiden. (Sort of like MTHF)

I saw a hemotologist before my back surgery to see if I needed to be on any sort of pre-emptive blood thinners so I would not clot while recovering from surgery. They decided against it, only having me where the compression stockngs (which don't truly do anything) and and the air boots that inflate and deflate and keep you awake at night because of the noise they make. I was not put on blood thinners after the surgery either, for fear that they would interfere with the fusion process (Clotting around the fused area is what makes you heal!) So, blood thinners would interfere with the good clotting, in addition to the bad clotting.

Needless to say, I did have a pulmonary embolism about 2.5 months after my surgery. Nobody can tell me if it is directly coorelated to my surgery though. I can say that once you have had a clot, your predisposition to having another goes up. SO if you have been clot free prior to your surgery, that is helpful!!

Good luck and just know to pay close attention and monitor everything if you have the MTHFR genes. Nothing that can't be handled, just one more thing you have to be aware of and look out for.
      Meg is Spinewhine
      31 years old with thoracic curve
      Wore Boston brace as teenager, but curve continued to progress.
      Surgery on 12/13/2005 with correction from over 55 degrees to under 25 degrees. (Ya baby!)

The nitty gritty at:
      http://spinewhine.blogspot.com/

Comment

Sorry for all the typos, but I think you get the gist...

Meg is Spinewhine
        31 years old with thoracic curve
        Wore Boston brace as teenager, but curve continued to progress.
        Surgery on 12/13/2005 with correction from over 55 degrees to under 25 degrees. (Ya baby!)

The nitty gritty at:
        http://spinewhine.blogspot.com/

Comment

Lynne, I really hope this doesn't hold you up.

Perhaps you could ask about the IVC filter like I got installed?
          I'm not advocating it or saying it's right for everyone, but blood thinners are bad for fusion and blood clots are bad for you, so a IVC filter may be exactly what is needed to help people predisposed to clots with this type of surgery.

It's a question I would suggest anyone with a history or predisposition to clotting ask their surgeon.
          The installment is painless and it stays in forever so no clots for the rest of your life.
          It was a one day thing. The whole procedure took less than 1 hour and then rest in outpatient for 6 hours.
          36 year old single mom of teens ages 14 & 15.
          Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
          Fused from T-3 to S-1 (sacrum)
          Curve pre-op = 70 degrees
          Curve post op = 20 degrees
          No pain anymore!!
          Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

Comment

Lynne -

You know I am thinking of you. I left a message on your blog.

Brandi
            Brandi
            Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
            Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
            L1-S1
            Dr. William Lauerman
            Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
            Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
            http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

Lynne,
              I am so sorry to hear that you are having to deal with issues that you didn't expect. But it sure is good to know ahead of time and do all that you can to be sure of a successful outcome without life-threatening issues. I'll be thinking of you.

My husband has Factor V Leiden also Spinewine. He has had serious clots in his legs and also a pulmonary embolism; so surgery really is a big issue with him regarding blood and clotting factors!

Keep us informed.

Comment

Hi Lynne,

It is very frustrating and frightening to be thrown such a curve ball right before surgery. I know you surgery date is fast approaching. I have been and will be thinking of you, and wishing nothing but the best.

Take care,
                Shari

Comment

thks all! Lynne Tues dau's approaching fast......

Comment

Working...
                  X