Personal question....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personal question....

I'm sorry to be so personal with this question, but I have to ask. At what age did anyone start their menstrual cycle and also at what age did you stop growing (if you have) or at what age is your doctor predicting that you will stop growing?

My daughter is 12 1/2 years old and started her period when she was 11 1/2 years old. She wears a Boston brace and her doctor says she will only need to wear it for one more year because she should be done growing by then. I hope not! She is only 4' 10" tall!

Thanks,
    Mary Lou

Hi Mary Lou

My daughter began menstrating 3months after her 13th b-day. She was diagnosed with scoliosis on her 13th b-day. Our ortho told us that most girls have their biggest growth spurts (their spine grows the most) the year prior to and the year after they begin menstrating. For my daughter, this was fairly accurate. She grew several inches taller and her scoliosis progressed from 22 degrees to 39 degrees and holding within the year and a half of her diagnosis. She has been about the same height as she was at 14-1/2 (5'7" - not fair!). I can see other changes in her body after that age (i.e., hips widening more, more shapely appearance, maturing in her face, etc.) but her height and spine growth pretty much stopped when it was supposed to. I hope your daughter isn't the norm - but then again, being short isn't the worst thing in the world.
    Carmell
    mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

You know. I was diagnosed with this problem only 6 mths. ago at a physical i had to do for sports. By that time I had my cycle for two years and was told by my orthopedic that i was done growing. I was 16 when i found out and i had started my cycle around13 or so. But what got me is that the doctors, even with all the xrays and the CAT scan they did on me when i had appendicitis they never told me i had scoliosis. You'd think that having my appendix behind my bladder would tell them something... O well....Being short is always a good thing....

Comment

hi! i'm 15 and at my last visit i was told i stopped growing. i had my first period 2 1/2 years ago. i'm also 4 10. don't worry too much about ur daughters height. my moms always worried about it but its not that big of a deal to me. just let her know that being short and petite can be cute and a good thing.

Comment

being small is good, guys like petite girls cause they think they are cute....... i realized that after i got a guy...it's hard to shop for clothes at times, but it all works out in the end....

Comment

Thanks for your replies. As my Mom always told my brother growing up, "Good things come in small packages." My daughter says her height doesn't bother her, but it does affect her. She struggles with finding clothes to fit her right. Part of that issue is her height/weight and part of it is from her Kyphoscoliosis.

I am still not convinced that at 12 1/2 years old that she is done growing. I know that her Kyphoscoliosis has robbed her of some height, but her doctor says she is still a Risser 0, so that gives me hope that she'll grow a little bit more.

If she doesn't grow taller, she's okay with that. As one of you said we Moms worry more about height than our kids do! Sorry, but it's our job. Thanks again for all your help and support.

Mary Lou

Comment

I'm 5'9" on a good day when gravity hasn't hit my spine yet...I'm also almost 19, I think I quit growing about age 14, and I started my period 4 months before I turned 13. But I've been "abnormally" tall my whole life, always one of the tallest in my class. (I took after my great-grandma, born in 1906, she was 5'8") There were definitely girls taller, but I was it for a long time. And hey, to all the short girls, don't feel bad about not being able to find clothes, you can't find long enough pants AT ALL if you're tall...I ended up with a 36 inch inseam, and I have maybe three pairs of jeans I actually enjoy wearing because of the length...it's hard to find shirts long enough to cover my stomach, too. If you're short...there's always the alternative to shop in the younger girls sections, the clothes look about the same these days, and could fit a whole lot better...don't think that I'm making fun of you in any way, I know exactly how you feel, I wear guys jeans sometimes just because they are made longer.
              Sarah Ann

Comment

I had kyphoscoliosis too. It was found when I was 13 and surgery was done right away because the curves were getting worse quickly. After surgery I was 5'7" and the doc said I would grow to 6' tall!! I havn't grown an inch. I'm 28 and still 5'7". It really depends on the individuals body.

If your daughter wants info from someone who has the same type of kyphoscoliosis as she does I would love to answer any q's I can!! And I agree with your daughter, don't worry about the height thing!!

Comment

I'm 16 and I still haven't started my menstrual cycle! Crazy, huh? That made my back worse because I grew very slowly instead of one big spurt, making it easier for my curve to progress the way that it did.

I was short for a long time (4'9'' in 8th grade, 5'1 1/2'' in 9th). I was really looking foward to gaining extra height from my surgery. Post-surgery, I'm 5'5'' and I really don't feel that different. Barely anyone notices I'm taller. Thus, for out the smaller girls out there, having those extra inches isn't all its cracked up to be!
                  Charlotte

48 degree upper curve
                  L2 to T4
                  Braced for 4 years
                  Surgery 2/4/04

Comment

hey maryK~
                    i was just wondering...what exactly is kyphoscoliosis?! jw g2g tho...bye ~*ellen*
                    much <3
                    ~*ellen*

curves before and after surgery*oct6 03*
                    before--51 and 21
                    after--15 and 14

Comment

I know that question wasn't directed at me, but I just want to say that I believe its when the curvature is foward and backward instead of left and right. I could very possibly be wrong though.
                      Charlotte

48 degree upper curve
                      L2 to T4
                      Braced for 4 years
                      Surgery 2/4/04

Comment

RE: Kyphoscoliosis

Hey Ellen....
                        Since I started this post I'll answer your question. Kyphoscoliosis is as follows: Kyphosis-curvature of the spine in a front to back direction and Scoliosis-as you know, is a curvature from side to side. They measure my daughter's Kyphosis in the same manner as Scoliosis. Does that answer your question? If not, feel free to ask. That's how we all learn!
                        Thank you everyone for your input.
                        Mary Lou

Comment

hey! its fine i wasnt meaning for tha question to be directly at just maryK....thank you dapsbounce and mary lou for tha response...im pretty sure i understand now!! thank you again!!much luv~ *ellen*
                          much <3
                          ~*ellen*

curves before and after surgery*oct6 03*
                          before--51 and 21
                          after--15 and 14

Comment

i was 12 when i started mine and now i am 14 i well be on growing at age 15.
                            If you brake it ou buy it.you got it now.

Comment

i started my period 1 month before i turned 14. now, 4 months later, my doctor said that i get my brace off in SIX MONTHS because i have slowed down my growth. he say that i will probably grrow another 1/2 inch more. o well, im already 5'4.
                              ¢¾ aura ¢¾

Comment

Working...
                              X