Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

has anyone had a cosmetic type surgery to fix a disfigured back ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• has anyone had a cosmetic type surgery to fix a disfigured back ?

last summer when i went for my checkup we talked about having a cosmetic surgery to fix one side of my back that sticks out. it involves breaking some ribs and kind of putting them back together. has anyone had a procedure like this? if u could share any info you have it would be great! thanks!

nO BUT I REALLY REALLY WANT ribhump surgery!! But my doc wont let me!! He says there is to many risks and thata my hump doesnt lok bad enough to get it! But i feel really self counios about it and sometimes it even hurts to sit against a chair!!
    luve allways,
    *Paige*
    __-------______--------______-------__
    12years old had postier fusion Jan.22,o4!!

Comment

I had a similar surgery, but five of my ribs were just removed, not broken and rearranged. This surgery was done at the same time as my spinal fusion. It is pretty painful - I had shallow breathing and lots of sharp pain. Luckily, the results are terrific. I have absolutely no back hump and I'm totally happy with the results.

Hope I've been helpful.
      Charlotte

48 degree upper curve
      L2 to T4
      Braced for 4 years
      Surgery 2/4/04

Comment

Thanks charlotte!! So you think i should have the surgery?!?!?!?
        luve allways,
        *Paige*

Comment

This surgery is really difficult and painful, so I would only have the surgery if your rib hump is very prominent. Its really your decision to make as to whether or not the pain is worth the gain. Also, if you could potentially go through spinal fusion in the future, wait for that and do both surgerys at once.

Good luck!
          Charlotte

48 degree upper curve
          L2 to T4
          Braced for 4 years
          Surgery 2/4/04

Comment

I dnot think im goin to have any other spinal fusions on my back. My rib hump is really super big!! when i lean against the back of a chair that shoulder cant touch the back of the seat no matter how hard i try to sit up strait!!!
            luve allways,
            *Paige*

Comment

Thats sounds similar to what I had. I would definately recommend looking into with your doctor. How recent was your spinal fusion? I'm not sure if its a good idea to go into a second surgery if you are still recovering from your first. But, getting rid of that hump is a great boost for your self confidence, so keep it in mind.
              Charlotte

48 degree upper curve
              L2 to T4
              Braced for 4 years
              Surgery 2/4/04

Comment

i had my fusion on Jan.22 o4!! Im pretty much completely recovered exept for a few aches and pains every now and then!!! How old are you!?!???? My mom and i were wondering.she didnt know what age i should be to have the surgery.!!. our surgerys were pretty close togather!!!!!
                luve allways,
                *Paige*

Comment

Paiger,
                  Glad to hear your surgery went well and you're recovering quickly! I know how it is, I had my surgery back in November.
                  I just felt I needed to make a point though here. While some of us may have a high pain-tolerance, or our post-surgery healing process is going well, no one is ever completely recovered, not even "almost" completely recovered after just 3 months. It's only been about 4 1/2 since my surgery, and while I'm feeling great too, it still takes at least 6 months-1 year for the spine to fuse and heal COMPLETELY. So just continue to take it easy, even though I know how it feels to be feeling well after such a major surgery, and wanting to return to physical activities. Just wanted to make it known to others on here who don't know, or who are about to undergo a spinal fusion to take it easy...even after just a few short months, we're still not COMPLETELY 100% Take care.
                  "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom."
                  "Talent takes you to the top. Character keeps you there."

Comment

Racin2win,
                    ok i know my spine isnt fused completly but i feel "almost 'completely back 2 normal. is that better!?!?!lol!!!
                    luve allways,
                    *Paige*

Comment

Sure, since I understand what you mean. It feels great to be feeling almost normal again after we went through such major surgeries most people never dream of going through! Take care
                      "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom."
                      "Talent takes you to the top. Character keeps you there."

Comment

Hey paiger,
                        I'm 16 years old, but I don't know if age affects whether or not you should have the rib correction. Racin2win makes a good point that you won't be completely healed for at least a year. You need to let your body heal completely before you go for a second surgery. Then again, I'm not a doctor and I don't know whats best for you, so consult your surgeon.
                        Charlotte

48 degree upper curve
                        L2 to T4
                        Braced for 4 years
                        Surgery 2/4/04

Comment

The only reason i want it now is cuz i dont want to wait though a whole nother recovery~~!!
                          luve allways,
                          *Paige*

Comment

Working...
                          X