New and nervous

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New and nervous

My 11yr (almost 12) old daughter was just diagnosed with scoliosis. At her yearly physical, our pediatrician was checking her back from just a standing position and noticed the difference in her shoulder blades (left higher than the right). When she bent over at the waist it was even more noticable. The Dr. used some hand held instrument that looked like a leveling device that a carpenter might use, to see what the curvature would measure. Using that instrument, the pediatrician said that she thought the curve was 11 degrees or so. We then were told to get x-rays for a more accurate measurement. After the radiologist read the x-rays, we were told our daughter had a 10 and a 15 degree curve. The thing is....I'm confused.....does this mean she has 2 curves or is it two measurements for one curve???? I have been doing some reading online and I realize that 10 and 15 degrees are very small curves but my daughter has not yet started menstrating and that means that she still has quite a bit of growing left to do. I have made an appointment with a pediatric othopedist but am not even sure of this dr's track record.

I guess i need to know
    a. has anyone else had curves this small and have them NOT progress OR if they did progress, at what point did treatment begin

b. how do i find out if the dr. I've selected is a good doc....don't know anyone near me that has used an orthopedist before.....I have a niece that has been diagnosed with scoliosis but she is in PA and we're in NJ (central)

I'm just overwhelmed with this and kinda feel like I've been blindsided.

Hang in there

Hi, I have also just found out that my 13 year old daughter has an S shape she has to see a Dr. in Kansas City,ks I had a friend that told me to check out www.iscoliosis.com . I'v been tring to look up diffrent web site's on scoliosis and they seem's to help.It help's reading up on it I was scared for my daughter too. Not knowing what to do but the more people I talked to about it the more I found out. wish you all well. And hang in there.

Comment

Hi and welcome to our group! I also live in Central New Jersey. The doctor who we see is Dr. Samual Lauffler in East Brunswick. He is the best in the area. Everyone that I know who has scoliosis, with or without surgery goes to him. He did my daughter's surgery in March, and the whole thing from the first time we walked in the door has been a wonderful experience. The name of the group is Pediatric Orthopedic group. They have a web site. Let me know if I can be of any more help.

Comment

To new and nervous

You might want to consider checking out the SpineCor brace - small curves can get bigger quickly at your daughter's age and once the progression gets going it's really next to impossible to stop. There is a lot of information on this forum under Bracing/SpineCor thread or you can go to their website. They've had great results with curves of your daughter's size, especially if caught before the big adolescent growth spurt. I think the website is Spinecorporation.com.

My daughter wears the brace in an attempt to stabile 40+ degree curves - we didn't catch it in time to prevent progression. If you want more info, send me a private message and I'll be happy to respond.

Comment

Hi Katlengis,
          My son has scoliosis, when we found his curve he was also 11. His curve was quite big when I noticed it, it was 32*. His doctor told us that he doesn't start the bracing treatment until a curve reaches 30*. So he was put into a brace right away. He stops the brace if the curve goes beyond 45*. My son ended up needing surgery, and he is just fine today. He has receintly went back for a post op check up and all is well. Good luck with your doctors appointment. I guess the only sure way to find out if the doctor you have chosen is right for you, is to go and see him/her. Ask them some basic questions, like for instance,
          1. How many scoliosis patients do they see. This question is very important, the more patients, the more experience.
          2. Are they experienced with children, and is your daughter comfortable with the doctor.
          3. When do they prefer to start bracing.
          4. How often will she need to be seen. The usual evaulation is about every three to six months.
          5. And finally, ask them for some past patients names for reference.
          I hope this can help you.
          Sincerely,
          LeaEvelyn

Comment

Feeling better about Dr. choice

The more I've researched AND saw on this site....I feel that choosing Dr Laufer was a good move. Although the earliest appointment was when we're going to be on vacation (figures), a mid-September appointment isn't that far off. So now its 'wait and see if the curve is larger'. My daughter is handling this all in stride and has even told her friends that she may have to wear a brace...so all is not bad. Thanks for the responses.

Comment

Working...
            X