Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 21 and frustrated

Hello.

I was diagnosed with scoliosis when I was seventeen with a 40 degree curve in my lower spine and a 29 degree curve between my shoulder blades. I remember going to the hospital more times then I can count and walking out feeling the same emotion. Anger. I was angry at my parents, I was angry at the hospital and more then anything else I was angry at my body. I didn't understand why I was going to the hospital only to hear, "You have Scoliosis...and you have back pain...but there isn't anything we can do about it except maybe tell you to take pain killers."

I gave up going when I was nineteen. I just couldn't find the will in myself to walk back through those hospital doors only to hear what I already knew. Now that I am twenty one it's getting hard to sleep and I don't know if my back has gotten worse or not at all. I also moved and don't know where to go to see, or if I even have the will to do this all over again. I wanted surgery so bad when I was younger and I still do. I don't think I have the guts to hear, "That's not the best option" again.

I don't really know what I am asking for, maybe just talk with people that know how I feel, know that there are people out there like me that have a hard time sleeping...and an even harder time looking in the mirror and clothes shopping.

Rainya

Please email me at rosesharon4065@hotmail.com. I can identify myself to what you said although I am older than you. I would be happy to hear from you and anybody who would like to talk about our experience with scoliosis.

Comment

Hi! I'm 21 too and feel like we have a similar situation. E-mail me if you'd like briarrose24@juno.com.
      Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
      2003- 33 degrees
      2005- 37 degrees
      2006- 44 degrees
      May 2007- 47 degrees
      December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
      Fused T1 to L2
      Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment

Hi!

I also have 2 curves (60 degrees on top and 49 degrees on bottom)and have had scoliosis since I was 7. I am now 29. At the beggining I was very angry with my back. I wore my hair long to cover it. I would wear baggy clothes....anything to cover it up. I should have worn a brace but at that time there was "new" technology by Medtronic that I ended up doing instead. It didn't make my back straight but it did stop it from getting worse. I do not have much pain in my back anymore and I do not take pain medication. I have several reasons why I have no pain. The number one reason is that I go to a Chiropractor. Not just any Chiropractor who does manual adjustments. He uses a technique that trains my body to hold the adjustment and with my wacked back thats important. The longer you hold your adjustment the less pain you have. I used to go to the Chiropractor 3 times a week for years! I now only go once a month. He is my hero and my life saver. I didn't realize how much pain I was in until it went away. The second thing that has helped is excercize. I am a dancer which has taught me good posture and it has strengthened my back muscles. The third thing is that I have accepted that I have Scoliosis. I cut my hair short, I wear tighter fitting clothing(even though most of it has to be altered). I try to make the best of it. I am a musical theater teacher so my nickname is Hunchback. I know that sounds sad but I do a mean Hunchback impression!! Anyway if you want someone to talk to who has really been through it all (except surgery, I won't do that) email me at erin564032@aol.com. I would love to talk to you or anyone that has scoliosis.

Thanks!
        Erin Potter

Comment

Rainya,

in order to find some relief for your pain, you might try Backlife. This is a device, which uses Continuous Passive Movement and it can ease your pain. Check it out at www.backlife.com.

I hope very much that this can be of any help to you.
          Cathrine

Comment

Working...
          X