I fell down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I fell down

Well, I am 6 months out from my surgery and generally feeling pretty good. The other day, I was picking up some cat puke from our kitchen floor. I was keeping my back straignt, and in a very deep knee bend, so much so that my butt was pretty much on my heels. Well, I lost my balance and fell backwards, hitting my right back/shoulderblade on our garbage can and then wall. (I was about 2 feet from wall, 1 foot from garbage can.) It hurt, in a weird way since I don't yet have complete feeling in my back yet. I don't hurt too badly now, but I also don't have complete sensation. I do notice some twinges in the affected area while in certain sleeping positions.

How concerned should I be?? Is it possible to dislodge something?
    Meg is Spinewhine
    31 years old with thoracic curve
    Wore Boston brace as teenager, but curve continued to progress.
    Surgery on 12/13/2005 with correction from over 55 degrees to under 25 degrees. (Ya baby!)

The nitty gritty at:
    http://spinewhine.blogspot.com/

Hi Meg...

Of course it's possible, but I'm guessing that it's not very probable.

When I was about the same amount of time post-op, I fell down an entire flight of stairs. I was scared more than I was hurt, although I was definitely sore for the next week. I called my surgeon's office, and they had me come in for an x-ray, which looked fine.

Even if you have dislodged something, it would probably not be an emergency at this stage. When is your next appointment? If it's not soon, perhaps you should call your surgeon's office just for your own piece of mind.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Meg,
      I'm so sorry that you fell. I can imagine how unnerving that must have been for you. Like you, I was initally trying to bend down with my back completely straight, but I always felt very awkward and off balance. When I started PT 4 months post-op, my therapist showed me how to bend by leaning slightly forward (I'm fused to L4 and feel fine when I do this). It helped me keep my balance as it's a more natural posture. I'm not saying this is right for everyone, but it worked for me. Maybe you could give it a try and see how it works for you too. I hope you're feeling better....

Comment

Hi Meg,

I too had quite a scare at 3 1/2 months. I called the Dr. and they told me you have to wack the heck out of your back to mess it up. I was so nervous! I was finally able to breath normal and quit with the "what if's" after talking to them. Best wishes.

P.S.How much did you gain in height? Your before and after pics. on your blog make it look like 3-4"

Comment

Working...
        X