Can you dance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you dance?

My 16-year old daughter will be having a double fusion down to L2 in a week. She loves to dance - not professionally - but is in Orchesis at school, takes 5 classes a week, and loves hip hop, MTV, going to teen dance clubs and parties, etc. where people are dancing. To those of you who were/are dancers and have had some of your lumbar vertebrae fused, I would like to know if your dancing has changed as a result of the surgery or can you dance pretty much as well as you did before? This is the thing she loves the most, and I want to find out what to expect post-op and post-recovery. I know she will be going through a period of time where she "shouldn't" be doing certain dance moves. What I am wondering about is after that time --- maybe a year later. Please don't "sugar coat" anything - we need to know what to expect. Many thanks!

I have been taking tap and jazz dancing classes for the last 13 years, it's been 4 months since my surgery, and I am back to dancing somewhat. We have our recital in May, which will be 6 months for me, and I should be able to make it through 3 recital dances for the 2 nights the recital runs. I am a senior, and this is my last year dancing. I didn't go to classes or school for 5 weeks, and after those 5 weeks, I cam back and sat out on classes for a while. After 3 months, I "walked" through the dances so I knew the steps and my places in the dances. Within 3 1/2 months, I was dancing somewhat (of course no fast turns, kicks, etc.) but I watched very carefully what I did. I am just saying it's been 4 months for me, and if her surgery goes as successfully as my spinal fusion did, AND if she takes it easy and doesn't overdue it too much, she should be back to some limited dancing within 4-5 months, in my opinion. Just note that of course it will take AT LEAST 6 months for the spine to even fuse completely, so take care.
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom."
    "Talent takes you to the top. Character keeps you there."

Comment

I danced (5 days a week, competitively) for nine years before I had my surgery... (nov. 2001) when I was seventeen. I missed a good two months of school, and never went back to competitive dancing.

About four months after my surgery I went out dancing with friends... I found it kind of awkward, and had to get used to how my body couldn't bend anymore. I had the lumbaric & thoracic section of my back fused..so she will have more flexibility than I do. three years later I go out and dance and have fun all the time, but really miss full time dancing like I used to do. I took up singing and put all my efforts into that since... (which is what I'm at University for right now)

She'll know her limits once she's had the surgery. She'll be in a lot of pain and afraid to do anything strenuous for a while. It also sounds as though she's a smart girl who will take her time getting back into dancing.

It might just take some time for her to build up her endurance once she's recovered. You're supposed to take it easy for a year after the surgery (like you mentioned), to make sure the fusion has taken so just make sure she doesn't push herself too much to get back into the dancing and high-energy activites.

All the best,
      lisanicole
      Last edited by lisanicole; 03-11-2004, 02:32 PM.
      lisanicolegrace
      29/F/Canada
      Surgery - 11/10/2000
      80° curve to 19° post op.
      www.lisanicolegrace.com
      @lisanicolegrace
      facebook
      x-rays
      picture of my back

Comment

hi! i dance(ballet tap jazz hip hop)and i have twelve fused vertbrae. i had my surgery when i was three so i don't know about post-op but i know what its like to not be able to do certain moves. in hip hop on body rolls you can't always do it like everyone else and in ballet you can feel yourself not be able to bend back certain ways. its not really a big deal. good luck!

Comment

Hi, I'm new here.... (my name is Andrea btw)
          I'm over 18 (turning 19 in a few days), and though this place is for 'under 18' I thought I might be able to offer some knowledge or something, since I've dealt with scoliosis for about 10 or 11 years.

I don't dance a lot, but I do ice figure skate quite a bit - twice a week on average. I had surgery nearly 6 years ago, and started figure skating a couple of years after that. In some ways skating has similarity to dancing. I haven't had any real problems. I do a little ballet too, but not as much as I've skated. The only obstacle is I can't bend my back as much as some people; everything else is normal.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your replies. My daughter's surgery on March 18 went great and she is now post-op and heading into the recovery phase. She already is a whole lot more flexible than I had anticipated. Of course, there is still a long road ahead of her regarding regaining her flexibility, but she still feels that having the surgery was the right choice for her regardless of the eventual outcome. You guys can't begin to know how much I appreciate your support during all this - I feel like I am beginning to emerge from some swirling cloud of chaos.

Comment

dancing after scoliosis surgery

My 14-year old daughter had her surgery 4 months ago. She has been a serious dancer for many years, and is anxiously waiting to start dancing again. I am wanting to speak to others in this situation, and am curious about how flexible she will be.
              Last edited by Yvonne; 04-01-2004, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Hi, Bleach Girl -

Thank you for your reply regarding your activities. I am so glad things are going so well with you. I think ice skating is very similar to dancing. I kept trying to explain to our doctor why talking to girls who ride horses, play volleyball and basketball, etc. was just not quite what I needed to do. In those cases, the movement is done to accomplish something (i.e., dunk a ball). But in dance (and in ice skating), the movement ISI was wondering if you know which of your vertebrae are fused, particularly if any of your lumbar vertebrae are fused.

Comment

SORRY ABOUT THE PREVIOUS GARBLED MESSAGE - I ACCIDENTLY SENT THE MESSAGE BEFORE I WAS FINISHED!

Hi, Bleach Girl -

Thank you for your reply regarding your activities. I am so glad things are going so well with you. I think ice skating is very similar to dancing. I kept trying to explain to our doctor why talking to girls who ride horses, play volleyball and basketball, etc. was just not quite what I needed to do. In those cases, the movement is done to accomplish something (i.e., dunk a ball). But in dance (and in ice skating), the movement IS the activity so you can't just figure out a different way to do something. I was wondering if you know which of your vertebrae are fused, particularly if any of your lumbar vertebrae are fused.
                  Thanks!

Paula

Comment

I can relate to this post because not only do I barrel race horses, I dance tap and jazz as well, as I mentioned earlier...I have for 13 years. It's different w/horses however for me because I don't just go out and hop on the horse to go trail ride or for pleasure...we ride barrel horses, which basically are racehorses, you just have to control their 1,000+ lb. bodies around a small cloverleaf barrel pattern. The main thing I'm worried about is how my body gets twisted, or when the times come that I'll get jerked again by these powerful equine athletes...jockeying a barrel horse is a tough thing to do, but hopefully I can be back to it soon. I hope ya'll are careful w/whatever activities you do, and I hope everyone on here who's had the surgery are back to their activities like normal, or at least almost. Fighting this spinal deformity and recovering from one of the most major surgeries in the world is a tough thing to do, but it can all make us stronger! Just wanted to add my thoughts! Have a nice day everyone...

Comment

Hi, Racintowin,

Thanks for explaining what barrel racing is. I have often wondered what it entails. It sounds exciting but very difficult! It is obvious that you love it, and I sure hope you are able to return to it soon. What does your doctor have to say about that?

Comment

i started dancing after my sergery so i cant really help with the post op stuf, but my mom was very woried when i wanted to get into swing dance, she called the place i was going to be going to dance and asked about the stress it would put on my back, the answer she got from one of the teachers was, " not much if you know your limits, i had scoliosis sergery and i am teaching" after that my mom wasnt woried, now iv been dancing for 2 1/2 years and its helped me get back much of my flexibility, it wont happen over night and youll never be able to do somethings the way you uesd to, but theres no reason at all to not find better ways of doing the things ppl say you cant. just know your limits, and dont go beond them (it can be painful)

glad everything has gone well for you this far!!

Comment

Hi Paulasue2~
                          It's now officially been 6 months for me, and my surgeon said he lets up on a lot of the restrictions he gives his patients throughout the first few months. He said I can slowly start to get back on a horse again now--over the summer I'm going to try to just lightly walk and jog, and workout on my own to build my strength back up. When it's the year mark in November, like mostly all surgeons do say, there will hopefully be no restrictions for me. Since I'm going to college in the fall, but I'm only about 50 min. from home where I'm going, I will be able to come home on the weekends and hopefully be able to continue traveling with my family, and still be doing a lot of slow work with the animals. From Thanksgiving to New Years is our winter break, and therefore will be the year mark for me, so we'll see how I am and if I can make a comeback run on my horse. I hope so! And from there...hopefully...we'll see if I can do it, but I'm basically getting all the okays medically I need to start a "rehab" program I'm even dancing all of my dances in my recital this weekend! Thanks for asking!

Comment

I have been dancing for about a year. I had surgery in February. I dance mostly hip-hop and my fusion went down to L4. I have no problem when it comes to dancing she may be a ittle stiff but if she goes to physical therapy she won't be as stiff so it will be easier to move around in the dance. Just make sure she keeps on stretching but don't take things too fast.

Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
                            X