Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many tall, blonde dancers are out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many tall, blonde dancers are out there?

Hello everyone!

Whenever I go for a clinic at the doc for my back... the waiting room is always full of tall, blonde girls just like me! By talking with them and several other people who have scoliosis, I've found that many of them are or were dancers sometime during their lives... I danced for nine years and stopped once I had surgery (when I was 17, I'm now 20) .... Anyone else with a similar story to share? I'd luv to hear about it... has anyone KEPT dancing after their surgery? I was always too ashamed and limited in my movement to go back to dancing.

Godbless!
    lisanicole
    lisanicolegrace
    29/F/Canada
    Surgery - 11/10/2000
    80° curve to 19° post op.
    www.lisanicolegrace.com
    @lisanicolegrace
    facebook
    x-rays
    picture of my back

I have been a dancer for many years - tap, ballet, jazz, hip hop, modern...you name it and I've danced it. I'm not blonde...or tall sadly enough, but I can't wait to dance again (I had surgery about five weeks ago). I'm planning on returning in a bout a year. Don't be shy about dancing, do what makes you happy and don't worry about what others think !
    Charlotte

48 degree upper curve
    L2 to T4
    Braced for 4 years
    Surgery 2/4/04

Comment

Re: How many tall, blonde dancers are out there?

hey my name is hannah and i am tall with blonde hair and i have danced for a while. i am in 8th grade and i am on a danceteam at my school , because i love it. i missed our competition because of my surgery, and it was hard for me. I have been waiting to try out for the highschool team forever, the tryouts are in 2 weeks, but i cant because of my surgery, and i am taking that pretty hard, because both of my sisters were on that team!! hope your surgery goes well!

best of luck
      hannah

Comment

Hannah,

I had my surgery three years ago. Afterwards, I never went back to dancing competitively. I still go out and dance at clubs with friends, but never went back into dancing full time. I really miss it, but my physical limitations just don't work with the kind of dancing I used to do. I took up singing instead soon after my surgery.. and now I'm in university for it.

I'm sorry about you missing the try outs. Maybe next year...

Godbless,
        lisanicole
        lisanicolegrace
        29/F/Canada
        Surgery - 11/10/2000
        www.lisanicolegrace.com
        @lisanicolegrace
        facebook
        x-rays
        picture of my back

Comment

hi! i am a short blonde dancer! i had my surgery when i was three and have been dancing since i was five. i take tap jazz ballet pointe and am a member of my schools dance team. i can't always have perfect technique since i have twelve fused vertbrae but i love to dance and wouldn't give it up for anything. when i get out there and act like i'm having the time of my life it doesn't matter if its not perfect. i'm not embarrassed of it. keep on dancing!

Comment

PETITE blonde dancer here! Tap and jazz dancing for 13 years now, I'm a senior this year however, so it will be my last year for dancing where I take lessons at. It's been 4 months since my surgery, and I'm back to dancing somewhat, just not full out, no leg kicks, strenuous moves, etc. for a while though...for those getting ready to go through or trying to get over surgery, my advice is keep a positive attitude, take care of yourself, and you should hopefully get back to most of your normal activities sometime w/in a year's time
            "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom."
            "Talent takes you to the top. Character keeps you there."

Comment

I think you are on to something

My 12-year-old daughter has a 40° RTC. She has been wearing a Wilmington Jacket since she was 10 1/2 yrs old. She had ballet practice 5 nights per week since age 7 and before the Christmas Nutcracker and spring performances, she rehearsed every night for weeks during those years? I have wondered about the link to dancing for some time.

She is 5-1 petite and blonde. Not sure if being blonde matters, yet she does have several café-au-lait spots but not Neurofibromatosis which is sometimes associated with Scoliosis.

NOTE: I would like others to post if they are dancers.

Here is an interesting study from the New England Journal of Medicine. >

Title: Scoliosis and fractures in young ballet dancers. Relation to delayed menarche and secondary amenorrhea

MP Warren, J Brooks-Gunn, LH Hamilton, LF Warren, and WG Hamilton

Abstract:
              In a survey of 75 dancers (mean age, 24.3 years) in four professional ballet companies, we found that the prevalence of scoliosis was 24 percent and that it rose with increases in age at menarche. Fifteen of 18 dancers (83 percent) with scoliosis had had a delayed menarche (14 years or older), as compared with 31 of 57 dancers (54 percent) without scoliosis (P less than 0.04). The dancers with scoliosis had a slightly higher prevalence of secondary amenorrhea (44 percent vs. 31 percent), the mean (+/- SD) duration of their amenorrhea was longer (11.4 +/- 18.3 vs. 4.1 +/- 7.4 months; P less than 0.05), and they scored higher on a questionnaire that assessed anorectic behavior. The incidence of fractures was 61 percent (46 of 75 dancers), and it rose with increasing age at menarche. Sixty-nine percent of the fractures that were described were stress fractures (mostly in the metatarsals), and their occurrence had an even stronger correlation with increased age at menarche. The incidence of secondary amenorrhea was twice as high among the dancers with stress fractures (P less than 0.01), and its duration was longer (P less than 0.05). In 7 of 10 dancers in whom endocrine studies were performed, the amenorrheic intervals were marked by prolonged hypoestrogenism. These data suggest that a delay in menarche and prolonged intervals of amenorrhea that reflect prolonged hypoestrogenism may predispose ballet dancers to scoliosis and stress fractures.

Comment

Not exactly.... I'm more like an average-height, brunette, figure skater who dances (ballet) sometimes. So far I've been self-taught in ballet, until I decide whether I can afford classes.

Andrea

Comment

My 12 1/2 year old daughter also has Cafe-latte spots but the doctors say she doesn't have enough to classify it as Neurofibromitosis. She has never been a dancer and she isn't blonde!

Comment

Its possible that scoliosis and ballet are linked, but it just doesn't make sense to me. I also think that its just a coincidence for a lot of people - for example I used to do ballet a lot and have scoliosis, but I know that my scoliosis is hereditary (my mom had it).
                    Charlotte

48 degree upper curve
                    L2 to T4
                    Braced for 4 years
                    Surgery 2/4/04

Comment

Scoliosis apparently isn't hereditary. They don't know the causes for it, so the fact that you and your mum both have scoliosis is just a coincidence. Both my sister and I have it and no one in our entire family (extended family included) has ever had it.

lisanicole
                      lisanicolegrace
                      29/F/Canada
                      Surgery - 11/10/2000
                      www.lisanicolegrace.com
                      @lisanicolegrace
                      facebook
                      x-rays
                      picture of my back

Comment

From what I understand, Scoliosis isn't hereditary but it does tend to run in families sometimes. When someone has Scoliosis, your doctor should be checking your siblings (my daughter's doctors check her 11 year old sister) and someday when you have children, you should be sure to make your doctor aware that you have Scoliosis.

Comment

Maybe "herditary" wasn't the best choice of word, but there is no doubt that scoliosis tends to run in families - maybe not because of a direct transfer of "scoliosis genes," but because of similar body types and circumstances.
                          Charlotte

48 degree upper curve
                          L2 to T4
                          Braced for 4 years
                          Surgery 2/4/04

Comment

Charlotte....

I agree completely! I don't know if there is a Scoliosis gene, but it does tend to run in families like we said. There are many types of Scoliosis with many different causes.
                            There is a disease that has been in my husband's family for atleast three or four generations and no one ever knew that Scoliosis was a rare side effect of the disease! Now that I found that information it makes me wonder if that is the cause of my daughter's Scoliosis instead of classifying it as idiopathic.

Mary Lou

Comment

Working...
                            X