Scoliosis and Sleep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scoliosis and Sleep

I have a curve, I can't recall the degree, but if it gets any worse I'll need surgery. Anyway, I have been having problems sleeping latley because my back hurts.. Does this happen to anyone else? Any suggestions?
    thanks

Suggestions

Questions: Have you had a new bed recently? Do you sleep with lots of pillows? Have you had alot of stress lately? Do you sleep on one side of the bed all the time? (That's if you have a full or queen size mattress.)
    Try sleeping on your side rather than your back. Also getting an egg crate mattress to go between the sheets and the bed might help. Drinking sleepy time tea before you go to bed can also help relax the body. changing sides of the bed can be benefitual too.

Hope you get some relief soon.

Jer

Comment

Thanks..
      I had a nice pillowtop, but i thought that might be the problem so I took it off. I usually do sleep on my side, but now sleep on my stomacj because thats the only way it feels like it doesn't hurt, but I wake up and then it does. Not a lot of stress latley ( summer=no school ) and I only sleep with two pillows.

I guess I'm just scared it's gotten worse.. But I dunno

Comment

No . . . that is a normal reaction.

No, I think your pain might be valid from what your describing. You might want to get with your doctor and be frank with him/her about what your experiancing.

Comment

So you think it might be getting worse?

Comment

How well do you know your back?

I woke up very sore today because I went to bed with a sore back and didnt do any yoga exercises. kicking myself now but plan to pool and go to a new yoga class tonight.

I can mail you in person if you would like some basic stetches, you dont need any equipment and they are very tame...

It might be a stage you are at with muscle tension in the body and the only way I find helps is to warm up and do 30 mins stretches a day for a week. Worth it if the pain goes away. Sleep disrupted? I have that if I cant move into a new position without pain waking me up. I would think it takes the body much more effort to roll over from the stomach!

Cheers, 3Curves

Comment

Hiya, I have sever back pain and at night I do struggle to sleep. Beacuse of my curve I can only sleep on my right hand side, not on my left as it is uncomfortable.

I just take pain killers just before I go to sleep and lay on my back with a pillow supporting it (sometimes under knees, sometimes under my Lumbar back). Also get a furmer mattress to help support yoyr back.
              Last edited by Jadey; 06-20-2006, 11:12 AM.
              Adolescent Idiopathic Thoracic Lumbar Scoliosis

Back Pain started in October 2001
              Diagnosed - June 2003

Thoracic and Lumbar curves- 37 degrees
              Started Hospital examination - June 2003
              Discharged from hospital - November 2006

Comment

I don't struggle to sleep, but my back does hurt if I get in the wong position. From what my doctor told me, this isn't uncommon. It also hurts if I lay down for a while and then sit straight up. That happen to anyone else?
                Thanks,
                Abby

Comment

I can not sit up straight without it hurting after a while. It's annoying because you were taught at school to sit up straight to have a nice posture, now I have to sloundge to stop it from hurting.

What can I say? School never teaches you anything, lol.
                  Adolescent Idiopathic Thoracic Lumbar Scoliosis

Back Pain started in October 2001
                  Diagnosed - June 2003

Thoracic and Lumbar curves- 37 degrees
                  Started Hospital examination - June 2003
                  Discharged from hospital - November 2006

Comment

Originally posted by eyesoftragedy
                    So you think it might be getting worse?

Sorry for the delay in responding to your question . . . been on vacation.

No, I don't think it is getting worst, but anytime you have continual pain like that it needs to be addressed. I can honestly say that on occassion I still have pain in the mornings, but it is normally due to an activity fron the day before or how I slept on it wrong (or in a different bed.). I did notice last year when i got a new queen size bed that it took a month for me to get use to the firmer mattress.

Comment

so do u have a brace
                      for me sleeping on my stomache takes the most pain away but that is in my boston brace
                      before u posision yourself to sleep lie on your back for a couple mintues this makes the spine go a bit straighter
                      Hope this helps
                      Veronika
                      Mák Veronika
                      14 yr.o. girl 9th grade
                      40T
                      54L
                      +rotation
                      Boston Brace since December 2005
                      Location in Florida

I play flute.
                      I LOVE ROCK!!!!!

Comment

i just had the surgery and im having a really hard time sleeping.. im still pretty sore.

but i just take some motrin or whatever and i do a little activity like standing or sitting (thats about all i can do) with my family to talk or watch a movie or something. it makes me tired a little.

but i still wake up and its hard to turn in bed so once i reposition myself on a different side or to my back its another hour before i go to sleep again.

a friend reccomended taking a benedryl before i go to bed to help me sleep. does anyone else do this?

Comment

Working...
                        X