Any Aussies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Aussies?

Hi again, so many questions keep popping to my head now thats its only 2 weeks away. Was wondering if theres anyone in here who has had Dr angus gray at sydney childrens or prince of wales hospital? Just wondering how your experience was with him. also, for all other aussies in here, how did you get referred for physio or was that up to you. a lot of americans in here seem to have had that as part of their recovery. Am i meant to fend for myself on this one. I have been told that many post fusion patients become wanderers in the street because all they can do is walk for the first couple of months.
    Any help would be great.
    Katie.
    Katie

Can't tell you how it is down under but here in Canada, I had no PT for my back(just for my arms and legs and it started in the hospital) and it was for the best, as the first year it would have hurt my back more in my case. PT is usually only good for strenghtening the lower back(besides the arms and legs) if it isn't fused to support the fused vertebreas, and for me, it makes the healing fusion hurt more and gets my lower back muscles way too tense and hard and I prefer lighter exercises. I do know it has helped some people, but you have to wait and ask your ortho for when you can start post op, that's if he's pro PT so early post surgery. Walking and going to the pool(after the three month mark) was what I could do.
    Last edited by sweetness514; 06-20-2006, 05:28 PM.
    35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
    Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
    Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
    Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
    Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

physio in AU

I'm an American living in Sydney. I had scoliosis surgery last year at Westmead private. My surgeon did not give any specific recommendations for physio. He just told me no heavy lifting or torso twisting. I got some recommendations from my GP and I tried several, but I didn't think they understood what exercises I need to do. My surgeon recommended swimming or walking in deep water after six months. Another adult patient of my surgeon gave me the name of a physio who is good with people with fusions. I didn't go because the northern beach area was too far for me to travel, but I could find out her name (the physio) if you want.

Comment

Thanks. Well i actually live on the south coast about 3 hours from North Sydney so i won't take you up on that. I have a great remedial masseuse who is researching some physio methods over the next couple of weeks. I'll get back to you if anything works really well.
        Katie.
        Katie

Comment

Originally posted by katiev25
          Hi again, so many questions keep popping to my head now thats its only 2 weeks away. Was wondering if theres anyone in here who has had Dr angus gray at sydney childrens or prince of wales hospital? Just wondering how your experience was with him. also, for all other aussies in here, how did you get referred for physio or was that up to you. a lot of americans in here seem to have had that as part of their recovery. Am i meant to fend for myself on this one. I have been told that many post fusion patients become wanderers in the street because all they can do is walk for the first couple of months.
          Any help would be great.
          Katie.
          hi im from perth wa and had fusion 15 years ago, back then it was up to me to organise physio, but the hospital should give you some names of places to contact.

Comment

Hi Katie
            3 hours south of North Sydney should put you about the Nowra area right?
            I live on the Gold Coast moved here from Sydney 2 1/2 years ago.
            Am having a disc replacement and fusion done in 13 days (who's counting?)
            My surgeon sends all his patients to physio within 2 weeks of discharge and the physiotherapist visits in hospital the day after surgery to teach you how to correctly get in/out of bed etc.
            Each surgeon has their own views on physiotherapy, some for , some against.
            Walking is definitely encouraged, it helps the muscles, wakes up the intestines and helps disperse the anaesthetic.
            Good luck
            Cathy

Comment

Am in Sydney

Hi all

I know this is an old thread but thought I'd post my details just in case anyone is searching.

I would love to hear from anyone else in Sydney - I am scheduled to have revision surgery with Dr Cree at Mater in Crows Nest on the 19th June 2008. Has anyone else had Dr Cree? Is there any other surgeons in Sydney that does revision surgery?

I orginally had a fusion and harrington rods in 1984 with Mr Morley at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in UK and had 32 degree curve. Transpires rod displaced and curve currently estimated to be 64 degrees (so original surgery failed).

I now live in Sydney and Professor Ryan said he was too old to do this type of complex stuff and referred me to Dr Cree.

Please get in touch if you live in Sydney....

Cheers

Mags
              Mags

1984 - Harrington Rods & fusion T4 to L1 when 32 degrees - Mr Morley London RNOH - failed as curve has progressed to 64 degrees and rod displaced.

2008 - revision surgery with Dr Cree, Sydney at Mater in Crows Nest CANCELLED

Comment

Originally posted by Mags
                Hi all

Has anyone else had Dr Cree?Please get in touch if you live in Sydney....

Cheers

Mags
                Hi Mags,

I had surgery to correct scoliosis in 2004 and it was done by Dr (Andrew) Cree but not at the same hosp u are scheduled to go to, though I assume it is no doubt the same doctor?...

Here is a link to an old post of mine from the year after i had surgery (& when i discovered this forum ) http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...highlight=Cree

Good luck with your surgery.

I_luv_Jay

Comment

I am an Australian MATE! Well half aussie anyways. I am going to see Mr Gray on the 25th of this month. He better be good!
                  45L/40T
                  Surgery 25/1/2010
                  Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

Working...
                  X