Post Surgery Sadness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post Surgery Sadness

Hi, my name is Charlotte and I had spinal fusion surgery about three weeks ago. I was completely calm approaching my surgery, but I am very upset about giving up horseback riding. I've been riding English for four years and I am an accomplished jumper. Being away from my barn and all of my friends (horse and human) has devastated me. I feel like I will fall behind the girls in my level and I miss riding dearly.

I would give anything to get back on again, so much that I'm not sure whether or not I should have had the surgery in the first place. Its really hard for me to get over it - I just want my old life back.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Could you give me advice on how to feel better? Thanks.
    Charlotte

48 degree upper curve
    L2 to T4
    Braced for 4 years
    Surgery 2/4/04

I AM SO GLAD I READ THIS!
    Hi Charlotte-
    I am a barrel racer, my family trains and shows barrel horses for a living, and up until my surgery back in November, I spent almost every weekend at a barrel race. I do it competitively--we hit the largest barrel races in the world--and I have been very depressed by not even being able to sit on a horse since September (Sept. I had a tethered spinal cord surgery, and in Nov. had the fusion). The last time I sat on a horse was at our State Championships, and it of course was my last race for a while.
    The way I've kept occupied is just keeping up on my schoolwork, college preparations (I'm a senior this year), as well as my dance classes. It's been almost 4 months for me, and I'm allowed to do some dancing again.
    I have found the best thing to do is keep a positive attitude. I've told others on this board that it's ok to be mad at this surgery, wonder "why me?", cry, etc. but it's better to just stay focused and positive because the more negative you are towards this whole experience, the more you just let it and the pain get the better of you. Just remember, we WILL be back on soon, and we'll be able to look back and realize just what an amazing thing we've gone through. By staying positive, you can be inspiration to others.
    I had an emotional evening last night--it was our National Barrel Horse Association's Ohio District awards banquet, and a bunch of my friends had gotten together and ordered a belt buckle for me that had my name on it, and read "Inspirational Cowgirl 2004." They presented it in front of everyone! That buckle now means as much to me as my State Champion buckle from 2001. To know you are an inspiration to others is the best feeling in the world.
    Just stay strong--and when you need me, a fellow horse lover and rider, just let me know.
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom."
    "Talent takes you to the top. Character keeps you there."

Comment

Thank you for sharing your positive attitude. Its comforting to know that there are people out there dealing with the same worries as me. Congratulations on your special belt buckle and thanks again for your advice.
      Charlotte

48 degree upper curve
      L2 to T4
      Braced for 4 years
      Surgery 2/4/04

Comment

Working...
      X