Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have a carbon fiber cage in place of damaged disks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have a carbon fiber cage in place of damaged disks?

My surgery for scoliosis will be from T2 to S1. I have over 80 degree S curve top and bottom. In addition I have spondyilolthesis. For this they are going to remove 3 disks and insert what they call a carbon fiber cage filled with bone material.

I am curious if others know about cages and if it relieved the pain sufficiently. Right now my left hip and all the way down my leg hurts constantly.

Hi Marcia,
    I don't know about the carbon-fiber cage but I'll be fused T-2 to sacrum so it seems....Ly

Comment

cage

I have a titanium cage and am pain free.
      Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
      Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

I appreciate your responses.

Comment

I have a metal cage (titanium I assume) and although I am not pain free, I am still only 4 months post op. If I didn't have the cage I would not be able to stand upright as they used a wedge shaped cage which not only replaced missing disc and bone but also corrected a stoop at the waist that developed during surgery. It has to be worth doing - I am certainly in no more pain than I was pre- surgery - possibly a bit less.
          Double 63(T)/75(L) deg curve with big sideways shift - Surgery in UK on 8th February 2006.
          Post op 30(T)/33(L)
          http://warpedwoman.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hey Marcia,

We were up in your area Sunday. Thought about giving you a call but it was all so last minute. We went to the home show.

I don't remember if I told you or not, but I had six discs removed and replaced with the cages and bone material. As you know I'm still in alot of pain and having the problem with standing upright. The Dr. still has not released me. I am starting a new therapy session with a different therapist. Until my muscles are strong enough to where I can stay upright, we won't know if the pain is coming from the muscles still being weak or from my extra vertrabra. The doctor told me the other day that they did not fuse that partial vertrabra because they was so little movement there.

Are you still going to see Dr. H this month? Let me know how it goes?

Take Care.
            Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
            Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
            Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
            Fused T2 to sacrum
            June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
            MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Theresa,
              If you told me.....I didn't get it all. At the time I didn't have in words what all they are planning to do to me either, so "cage" didn't ring any bells! LOL I emailed and got the description of my planned surgery so now I know what terms to use!!! I sure hope you get more answers to your pain and problems with standing upright. You've been through so much and have such a good attitude.

My visit with Dr. H is next Tuesday, so I'll let you know how that goes.

Comment

Working...
              X