How do you dress up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you dress up?

I've had scoliosis since I was !3, but never received follow up till I was 43(last year). I never knew my once 13 degree curvature could develop into a 65 degree curvature probably due to having 6 babies. I am told my curvature is "balanced" and any pain I have in my back is due to arthritic changes in my spine. I have lost weight and feel pretty good. How can dressing up be made to look "normal" when so many clothes today are tight fitting?
    It does discourage me that I am self conscious about my back.
    I don't want to scare people or have them think me a freak.
    I think of myself as a crooked person. That is bad I know, but it will never get better. Yes, there are much worse things than this. I suppose I am venting. It amazes me how much I notice straight backs (and envy them). People take so much for granted. Well, I've rambled enough. I mention clothes as this is always an issue for me, and I saw nothing like that in the postings that I saw
    Ann

Ann,

We all can relate to you. Dressing can be such a challenge. For me, with 53 degrees curvature, I never wear tight fitting clothes. All my clothes are loose. I especially like dressing up in winter when clothes are thick and bulky. Jackets and sweaters are good at concealing the curve. Good posture plays an important role too. Last Saturday, I was carrying my granddaughter and a cousin said, "what is that hump on your back?" I said, "I have scoliosis." And she kept insisting that I didn't have the hump yesterday. I said I did and I had scoliosis since I was a teen. She was so surprised. What's so good is that my husband joined the conversation and said he doesn't even notice it. He didn't know I had scoliosis until I told him a few years ago and it was already pretty bad when we got married 33 years ago. That's probaby because he loves me, with all the hump and curves. LOL. I'm sure It was my posture and my not too loose clothes that diplayed it that day. Other people won't even notice it although we are all so very self conscious about our back. Sometimes people who notice my scoliosis ask about it and I tell them it is scoliosis. Others probably know about it and don't say anything. Still others, like my cousin don't even know about it for a long time. Keep smiling. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Lily

Comment

Wow! Your curve certainly moved a lot! My curve is about half of yours, but I still have trouble with clothes. I went shopping yesterday and was trying on shirts and dresses in a dressing room with a two-way mirror. I couldn't believe how big my rib hump was. Dresses do not fit me right at all. I mainly wear skirts to dress up. I still wear form fitting shirts. I know that people can see my crooked back, but I don't really care. Everyone has physical flaws. Ours may be more so than others but I don't want to hide in big clothes. Maybe I shouldn't think like this. People at school probably think I'm a freak, but it doesn't really matter to me. I have a husband that loves me and a great group of friends who don't seem to mind my crooked spine (except my brother. He thinks it's so digusting).

Anyway, don't worry what other people think.
      Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
      2003- 33 degrees
      2005- 37 degrees
      2006- 44 degrees
      May 2007- 47 degrees
      December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
      Fused T1 to L2
      Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment

I think the best invention I have found in clothing are the shirts with the uneven hem line. I love these things so much. Also the dress shirts that have one scrunched side. Any piece of clothing that is not symetrical 'hides' the curve better or so I have found.

Comment

You are so right. All the dresses that you described are so good at concealing our unevenness. Shopping for clothes is always a challenge. We will be okay, everyone. We will be okay. We will overcome. Have a positive attitude.

Comment

I am so glad I have found this site.....I have had scoliosis since I was 7. I am now 29. I have an S curve which makes my sholders and hips pretty much even. My top curve is 60 degrees and my bottom curve is 49 degrees. I used to have long hair to cover my back but I cut it several years back and most people don't realize I have scoliosis. I have always worked on having good posture. I rarely ever slouch. I am a dancer so that has helped me alot. I also go to the chiropractor regularly. Foe clothes shopping I have found that I have to get one size larger then I would normally wear because half my body is bigger then the other half. Its kind of a pain especially trying to get dresses or tank tops. The dresses always have to be altered and the tank tops never fit properly. I don't have alot of back pain anymore. I have lost some weight and started dancing and working out more. This has helped tremendously. I havn't checked out this site thoroughly but are there support groups or something that I can join? Also are there scoliosis conventions or newsletters that I can get?

Thanks!!
            Erin Potter

Comment

That was nice to hear from you, Erin. You know what, I also wear clothes that are 1 size bigger. I want my clothes loose to hide the scoliosis. Exercise helps a lot for me and plus of course, good posture. I'm sure dance is very good. The more flexible we are, the better. More power to you.

Lily

Comment

It is so nice to know there are people out there w/ the same types of problems! Clothes shopping can be a real hassle. I too buy things a size larger. Jackets and vests do help. Dresses are difficult. I find that skirts and tops work better. I stay away from white blouses without something over them.
                Good posture and being tall seems to help, too. I love to wear t-shirts but am not always sure if I can get away w/ it. I think it really depends on what makes you comfortable and confident.
                Colleen

Comment

I just joined and never knew so many people have the same problem as me. I usually wear bigger close and my hair is long. It is psychological but the longer hair covers up the back. My back is 42 degrees and I am in the army. It is hard to stay in shape. How do you do it? Are there any excersises that don't hurt? Keep up the hard work.

Comment

I have found that swimming is the best excersize for scoliosis. There is no stress on your back from your feet hitting the ground or pressure being put on your back. Its also good because it works both sides equally. I was told that with scoliosis you should not do one sided things like baseball or bowling. I do go bowling I just have learned to bowl both sides. My scores not too great but at least my back doesn't get worse!

Comment

Exercise that doesn't hurt...

Exercises that involve warming up and stretching afterwards really seem to help. I really love to do a full spinal type twist.
                      It sures seems to help the flexibility.
                      My curves are pretty well- balanced 47/48. I'm holding off on surgery as long as possible.
                      Colleen

Comment

Colleen,

How do you do a full spinal type twist? I think I have an idea as I do a lot of stretching too. I'm interested in learning new ones.

Lily

Comment

Colleen,

How do you do a full spinal type twist? I think I have an idea as I do a lot of stretching too. I'm interested in learning new ones.

Lily

Comment

Hi Lily,
                            I've been using Karen Voight fitness cds since the first of the year. In it there is a lot of stretching especially w/ your side muscles in your waist.
                            It really seems to help. I just love the stretching at the beg. and end.
                            Colleen
                            Colleen

Comment

I am also having problems in wearing dress. So when buying clothes I have to get 1 size bigger. I have to wear printed or dark clothes but here in the Philippines, our climate requires light colored shirts andI got a hard time wearing light clothes because my scoliosis can be seen in light clothes esp. white color. And when I go out I have to carry a bag on my left arm so that my shoulder will lift up because my left side is where my tight muscle is so I have to bring it forward so I carry my shoulder bag on my left to control my shoulder. Although its really depressing that I cannot wear latest fashions in clothes oftentimes I just had to breath and accept the fact that I have scoliosis. Lately my doctor told me that even if I undergo surgery there is no way that it can straighten my back because of my age, I am 35 years old and my bone is already matured and it hurts to hear that.

Comment

Working...
                              X