Bone growth stimulator.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bone growth stimulator.

Brandi (bbest), posted a comment on my blog yesterday asking about my stim. She asked if all patients get them.
    I can't answer that for you as I'm not a doctor and have no idea if all patients get them or even if hers or yours for that matter, will give you one.
    Doc Moreno prescribed one for me and it is covered by insurance.
    I posted this yesterday as a follow up in my 3 month post-op thread but figured I'd start a new one in case people missed that or they might be getting one themselves.

--------------------
    Yesterday*

The bone guy was here finally, at like 5pm. I waited since 3:30pm for him. Traffic was sucky again due to wildfires again today.
    But this is what it looks like.

The controls to mine are on the front for it.
    It has to be worn 4 hours a day. You don't feel anything at all when wearing it. That was the first thing I asked. Does it stim like a tens unit does? I don't want to be shocked 4 hours a day...lol
    Nope, you don't feel anything at all.
    You wear it around your waist and it has a piece for front and back to stimulate bone growth.
    It can be worn with or without the brace, preferably with he said. But, after my brace comes off in June, then I can just wear it by itself.

So tonight I'm gonna give it it's first go round to get these bones a growin'.
    Later days.

EDIT* I wore it last night and already did my 4 hours today too. You don't feel anything at all and when wearing it over the brace, it's just another contraption to wear. No big deal to me. The brace is by far, more uncomfortable than this lightweight stim.
    36 year old single mom of teens ages 14 & 15.
    Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
    Fused from T-3 to S-1 (sacrum)
    Curve pre-op = 70 degrees
    Curve post op = 20 degrees
    No pain anymore!!
    Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

Thanks for posting this here, Kat. I'm sure it will help someone who is curious (like me) and if nothing else, it will give patients something to discuss with their doctors.
    Brandi
    Congenital Scoliosis, 58* lumbar curve
    Combined Anterior/Posterior Spinal Fusion w/Laminectomy May 22, 2006
    L1-S1
    Dr. William Lauerman
    Georgetown University Hospital, Washington, DC
    Pedicle Subtraction Osteotomy @ L3, Posterior Spinal Fusion L2-L4, rod removal with re-instrumentation T10-S1 and Laminectomy February 5, 2009 to correct flatback
    http://brandi816.wordpress.com/

Comment

You're welcome.
      Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
      No pain anymore!!
      Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

Comment

Thanks from me too, always wanted to know what one looks like.

Didn't wear no brace except a soft one for support for my first surgery- at 26. This time at 34(now 35), for my non union surgery I asked about the brace and the stimulator, and my doc said it wasn't necessary but if I wanted a brace, to get one, my guess is he covers his butt. I will ask again about the stimulator and why some patients get one and others not. Maybe it's b/c of the longer fusion.
        35 y/old female from Montreal, Canada
        Diagnosed with scoliosis(double major) at age 12, wore Boston brace 4 years at least 23 hours a day-curve progressed
        Surgery age 26 for 60 degree curve in Oct. 1997 by Dr.Max Aebi-fused T5 to L2
        Surgery age 28 for a hook removal in Feb. 1999 by Dr.Max Aebi-pain free for 5 years
        Surgery age 34 in Dec.2005 for broken rod replacement, bigger screws and crosslinks added and pseudarthrosis(non union) by Dr. Jean Ouellet

Comment

I was talking to my sis today about the stim and how the bone guy said that if for some reason the insurance wouldn't cover it or medicare which I was just approved for, that the company, orthofix.com, has funds set aside to make them as "grants" to patients. The stim would be given to them free of charge because a doctor prescribed it.

I was telling her that when I'm done with it, I'm just going to donate it to Docs office so if he has a patient he wants to have one, he can just give them one right there on the spot.
          This will be awhile, I have to wear it till November, but the unit will still be in great shape because it does not come in any contact with your skin. It's all worn outside of clothing or braces and you only wear it 4 hours so why not donate it?

Is that like a bad idea? Used medical equipment? I would hate to just put this thing in my closet when it's perfectly good to give to someone who may need it.
          No pain anymore!!
          Google is your friend

Comment

Working...
          X