help , my daughter is 12 w milwalkee brace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help , my daughter is 12 w milwalkee brace

we are about 3 months into it still having problems with the fit and sleeping with it. she is a twin and was born w diaphragmatic hernia. anyone she is a gymnast anyone w similar circumstance or that she can email would help we are stumbling our way through. we got more info when she sprained her ankle thanks

RE: Milwaukee brace

Hi. May I ask what degree and where your daughter's curve is located. The reason I ask is that my daughter wore a Milwaukee brace (and didn't do well at all) and from what I hear doctors don't prescribe Milwaukees too often any more. My daughter has Kyphoscoliosis with the Kyphosis being 79* and a thoracic curve of 35*. Maybe I shouldn't tell you this, but she is now in a Boston brace with "a few extras" because of her Kyphosis. She just could not/would not wear the Milwaukee brace. Bad thing is, she isn't getting the correction with this brace that she would have in the Milwaukee.
    Mary Lou

Comment

she has a 28 degree in the thorasic and then in the lumbar 2 and 3 this is so new to me i am just now doing reading to comprehend what they have told us and to try and research dr. and treatment. do you have any suggestions for questions to ask? does that answer the question u asked me?

Comment

Momofmaggie....

Hang in there! You've found the best place to get information. My suggestions for now are: 1) I always get a copy of the doctor's report so that I know what questions to ask at the next visit; 2) keep trying-if your doctor prescribed a Milwaukee, it is the best brace for your daughter; 3) make sure your daughter is seeing a pediatric doctor who specializes in Scoliosis; 4) keep talking in this forum--it really helps, I get more support/information from here than anywhere else;5) you are not alone in this struggle--we are all in this together!

Hope that helps for now. And yes, you answered my questions from previously. I'm learning that Milwaukee braces are being prescribed mostly for thoracic curves. Oh, by the way, is her brace considered a "low profile" or does it have the neck ring?

Mary Lou

Comment

options

my expirence with back bone problems

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...=&threadid=436

You need Vojta or Schroth therapie for your daughter

then you should search a brace maker (cheaneau-style) there are big differences. I was in schorth-klinik in germany there were people which were demaged because they get bad braces or people like me who get good braces were corrected.

Comment

Bosnian - I was wondering what your credentials are to be giving out treatment advice. Honestly, you can't tell someone what treatment will work for them if you don't know their exact bone structure and situation.
            Charlotte

48 degree upper curve
            L2 to T4
            Braced for 4 years
            Surgery 2/4/04

Comment

Mary Lou,

What does a Milwaukee "low profile" brace look like ? My daughter is now 3 1/2 and has been in serial casts for the last little while. She will have to eventually go into a brace and the Milwaukee is one that shows some promise. I've read it doesn't cause rib cage compression as the other underarm braces do, and I've read many accounts of children being cured of scoliosis wearing the Milwaukee brace ! She is too young for the SpineCor brace - which is the other one I was looking into.

Celia

Canadian eh
              Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

Milwaukee brace

Hi Celia.
                From what we were told, my daughter's brace was considered "low profile" because she didn't have a neck ring. I don't know if all doctors would label any brace "low profile" or not, but that's how it was described to us. Most Milwaukees have hard plastic around the torso which is custom made for each person. There was also a strap with a pad placed under her left armpit and another one on the right side in a different position. Most Milwaukees have a neck ring that comes up just under the chin. My daughter's didn't have that. She had a metal bar that came over each shoulder from the back and solid metal bars coming up the front and back. Because she also has Kyphosis, she had a pad which pressed on her chest are to try and correct this. My best advice, make sure your pediatrician follows your daugher closely while in a brace. Our family doctor checks my daughter's heart and lungs about every three months. Best of luck and feel free to contact me again if you need more information.
                Mary Lou

Comment

momofmaggie,
                  Hi, my name is bekah and I am 13. I wore the COPES brace 4 11 months so I know what wearing a brace is like. I had to wear mine 4 20 hours a day. If u or ur daughter wants to e-mail me my e-mail address is bekahmd@juno.com and my screen name is baybuttafly03. Please if u contact me please specificly say who u are so I know .

Comment

Milwaukee brace

Thanks Mary Lou. I'll mention the Milwaukee brace to our doctor the next time I see him. I think that will be the next step with us.
                    Gosh, this is such a long battle, isn't it ?

Canadian eh
                    Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

Working...
                    X