No announcement yet.

Current bracing options and procedures?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current bracing options and procedures?

Hi! In 1991, after 4 years with the Charleston Bending Brace, I had corrective surgery performed on my scoliosis. I was almost 16. Now I'm writing a middle grade novel on the subject, and want to share details of my experience, but updated, so that the story can be as immediate, personal, and helpful as possible for potential future readers. My questions for those of you who are going through this with your kids now are first of all, what kind of braces are your kids wearing? Any Charleston brace-wearers out there? Second, how were the braces cast? Mine was cast while lying on a casting board.

I had my surgery performed at the University of Utah Hospital. For those of you in the area, do they still serve adolescent idiopathic scoliosis patients, or are most referred to Shriners or Primary Children's?

Thanks for any info you may have. Since my surgery, I have lived a fully active life, including Varsity Soccer in high school, and now chasing after my three small children. Pregnancy was never a problem with my rods and scoliosis. I'm so grateful for the correction I received! If you have any questions for me, please ask!

Hi Janessa,

Dr. Dunn is now retired from the U of U. However, they do have great PEDIATRIC orthopedic surgeons there, as well as the new Shriners facility (10years new). I have two children who have scoliosis (one congenital and one idiopathic) who have both been treated by UofU docs at PCMC. We have had exceptional care there. I would highly recommend them. Adult scoliosis, not sure. I don't know if the quality of adult scoliosis care is what it should be. Just not enough experience, my guess. Good luck with your novel.
    Carmell
    mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Working...
    X