Cincinnati Children's Hospital

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cincinnati Children's Hospital

Hey! I usually go to shriner's in lexington, kentucky, but I'm not really satisfied with my treatment, so I'm getting a second opinion at the Cincinnati Children's Hospital. Has anyone been there, specfically seeing Dr. Crawford. I'd love it if you could tell me about your experiences! thanks!
    ~Leelee ♪
    [-] 17 years old
    _[-] 12th grade
    [-] scoliosis, 45T and 42 L
    _[-] kyphosis, 67*
    [-] Boston brace for 4 years
    _[-] Stopped 6/8/05 at 4:32 PM

Hi,
    My 15 year old daughter just had surgery April &th at Cincinnati Childrens. Her surgeon was Dr. Wall. We started treatment 3 years ago with Dr. Crawford but switched to Dr. Wall. Both are excellent surgeons but Dr. Wall's personality was a better fit for us. Let me know if you have other questions.
    Kate

Comment

Hi Kate! Are there any doctors there besides Dr. Crawford and Dr. Wall? Dr. Crawford wasn't like....mean or anything was he? Oh, and do you mind if I ask what your daughter's curves were when you decided on surgery and kinda what happened before then? Like if she had a brace or anything? I'm just trying to get an idea because your daughter and I are the same age. and I'm also considering surgery. thanks for your help!
      ~Leelee ♪
      [-] 17 years old
      _[-] 12th grade
      _[-] kyphosis, 67*

Comment

Leelee,
        My daughter's curve was 52 thoracic. She wore a brace for 2+ years. She also wore a bending brace at night(per her request) hoping to work double hard to prevent the curve. Unfortunately it continued to progress. Once it hit the 50 mark her Dr. suggested surgery and we agreed because she was already having some lung restriction. Her pulmologist she sees because of asthma agreed surgery was necessary. She was very upset because she will have to take a long break from sports while her spine fuses. Soccer is her passion. There are other surgeons at Children's who do spinal fusions. Check out their web site www.cincinnatichildrens.org You can go to orthopedics and find a bio on each of the doctors. Just browse their web site and you'll find lots of info. Hope this helps. Good luck. Let me know if you have any further questions.
        Kate

Comment

ahhh I see. I'm wondering if my curve's going to get that high because it already increased 10* in a little bit over 6 months. I can see how asthma would be a problem with scoliosis, my mom has asthma too. Thanks for the link to the website, I'll definetly check that out! I've looked through it before, but I havent really looked at the other doctors. But that website really is great! they have so much information for you to read! Just out of curiosity were you given the option of choosing a traditional fusion or a VATS surgery? Because from what I understand that's a big thing at cincinnati childrens. My mom wants me to have VATS instead of a traditional one. well tell your daughter I hope her recovery is going well and she can get back to soccer soon! Thanks so much for the information!
          ~Leelee ♪
          [-] 17 years old
          _[-] 12th grade
          _[-] kyphosis, 67*

Comment

my son had Dr. Crawford. Just got back from seeing him today.

Hi there. We just got back to Michigan from Cincinnati today. My son is one year post op from his spinal fusion. I cannot say enough about Dr. Crawford's abilities. He is such a dedicated man to his patients. I know he doesn't have much of a bedside manner and that can really put people off. We just got the bedside manner from His Fellows working under him. He corrected a toracic spinal curve of 78 degrees. My son went in on a Monday to the Children's Hospital and had his spinal release surgery on Tuesday. A week later Dr. Crawford performed the spinal fusion. My son finally stands tall!!!! We looked at his x-rays from when we started seeing Dr. Crawford in 2001 and the x-rays they took today, it is simply amazing!! There has never been a moment when I regretted traveling so far for my son to have the surgery and appointments. I wanted the best in the country and Dr. Crawford is it, as far as I am concerned. I also can't say enough about the Children's Hospital. It is one of the cleanest and most efficient run hospitals. We had no complaints. For one of Christian's surgeries, I lived in his room for a week and had use of bathroom and shower and microwave. If you have any other questions, I wil check this to see if I can help you.

Comment

hi! Sorry it took me a bit to see this, I don't visit this forum often. I do most of my talk about scoliosis at a scoliosis site for kids and their parents only. it's called spinekids (Http://spinekids.com/boards). Anyway, you're sure right about Dr. Crawfords bedside manner. I was extremely disatisfied with the treatment I got from him, right was okay because he told me to stick with my first doctor and didn't scedule any follow up appointments with me or anything. From the first 3 minutes I spent with him I realized that I did not want him to be my doctor. He came in, introduced himself, I introduced myself, and then he asked me a question, I don't remember what it was. But he asked it in a weird round-about way, and I wasn't quite sure what he was asking, so I just went, "Ummmmmm..." Hoping for him to either ask it in a different way, or for my mom to anwser for me. But instead Dr. Crawford went, "Excuse me? Do you speak English?" and I went, "Yes." and then he said, "Great, then anwser my question." I could not believe I was getting treatment like that from someone that I was paying top dollar to see. And especially since I had traveled 2 hours to see him and was taking a whole day out of school and also my mother who is a surgeon herself was taking a whole day out of her busy scedule. And that wasn't all, he kept on making rude comments like that the whole time. And also I did not get the treatment I deserved. You don't know me, or my story with scoliosis, so I'll share a bit with you. I was diagnosed when I was 10 years old, with two curves of 20* each. And living in Lexington, Kentucky I opted to go to shriner's hospital of lexington, however the waiting list for that hospital was extremely long. So by the time I had an appointment there, my curves had increased to 32* and 35*. And I was promptly given a boston brace to wear 23 hours a day. I did that from the time I was 11 to the time I was 15, In early june of 2005. My curves were then 35* and 36* My doctor in Lexington wished to see one year later in june of 2006. But that summer I began to have a lot of back pain, so I did physical therapy at a rehabilitation hosptial 2 times a week for 5 months, with no reduction in back pain. So I went back to see my doctor in Lexington. And found that my thoracic curve had increased a whopping 10* in 6 months, they were now 44* and 39*. However my lexington doctor was not at all concerned about this increased and told me to come back in March of 2007. It was then that I decided to seek a 2nd opinion. And after a lot of reading about how great Dr. Crawford is, that was who I decided to see. But at my appointment with him, he took x-rays and then didn't measure them. He only looked at them and announced that I had no significant changes. But that is not accurate because he was comparing them to x-rays taken only 2 months before, and you would not expect to see significant changes in only 2 months time. He also had no advice for me regarding pain. The only thing Dr. Crawford provided me with was a diagnosis of kyphosis as well as scoliosis. But he didn't provide me with a measurement of it. All he told me was that I had it and it was at a "borderline surgery level". So based on that and his awful bedside manor, I decided to stay with shriner's in lexington. But you are right about cincinnati children's. It was a wonderful hospital! For such a large hospital it was very orangized and also very friendly. Everything was organzied nicely so that you did not have to go all the way across the hospital for xrays and such. They were also very effecient, my whole appointment was done in 1.5 hours, where as at shriners it probably would've taken 3.5 hours. I have no complaints with the hospital itself, only about Dr. Crawford.
              Last edited by Leelee; 06-26-2006, 03:37 PM. Reason: forgot something
              ~Leelee ♪
              [-] 17 years old
              _[-] 12th grade
              _[-] kyphosis, 67*

Comment

I have not visited Dr Crawford however, he did perform fusion surgery on the son of one of my friends. She was very impressed with is skill. Let me know how you like him, I need to find someone who works with adults with Scoliosis.

Comment

Working...
                X