surgery??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• surgery??

im an18 year old male with a 50 degree curve..ive been thinkin about surgery..my mom doesnt want me to get it, but i kind of do...she says that if i have the surgery that my back will hurt me the rest of my life, i was just wondering if this is true. i want the surgery to correct the curve, because i have a rib hump and am really self concsious about it...there is some pain, but not a lot, but im sure that will progress as i get older...but my question is if i get the surgery will i have back problems the rest of my life??

Hi!
    U wont have back problems the rest of u life!!! im really self consios about my rib hump to. my surgery did not correct it. the surgery was one of the best things that ever happened to me. Im almost back 2 normal after 5 weeks. but everybody is different with thier recovery. If ur doc. recomends it u should do it as soon as posible!The sooner u do it the more ur curve can b reduced!!
    luve allways,
    *Paige*
    __-------______--------______-------__
    12years old had postier fusion Jan.22,o4!!

Comment

To Brad284...

Hi
      Listen, I have learned so much through my surgery I had, and my experiences, and it's the toughest thing a kid could go through, but it can also be the best thing in building strength and character.
      Listen: What your mother needs to know, is that while she's saying "you'll have back pain the rest of your life" what does she think is going to actually happen to your back if you DO NOT get it done? Yes this is scary, but if your curves progress even more, your back will be crippled and your hump will just worsen. Letting your scoliosis curves continue to get worse w/o some form of correction is the worst thing to let happen! If you get the surgery done, it will hopefully be the best choice considering your curves should hopefully not get any worse, your hump can go down (mine did amazingly) and you will not have to worry about possible future crippling/respiratory breathing issues that could develop if the surgery would not be done.
      Just tell your mom to think about that. I can't believe what I've been through personally the last several months, and I would tell anyone w/major curves, or progressing curves, to get the surgery done while you're young, so you won't have to worry about your back getting worse in the future! Hope I helped...
      "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom."
      "Talent takes you to the top. Character keeps you there."

Comment

Paiger,

I'm just curious why you said the surgery did not correct the hump but surgery is the best thing that ever happened to you.

Lily

Comment

It did not correct my rib hump but thats not what u get the surgery for. it was one of the best things that ever happened to me because it made me stronger.If it doesnt kill ya it makes you stronger. and now i feel so much better. i dont have as much pain as before. And my curve was to the point were it was effecting my organs so now those are fine to!!!
          luve allways,
          *Paige*
          __-------______--------______-------__
          12years old had postier fusion Jan.22,o4!!

Comment

Paiger...

Hi Paiger
            Glad to hear your surgery went well, and it made you stronger! I agree the whole experience does...
            It's great too that your organs are no longer going to be affected by your scoliosis, and that your curves are better. Sorry that your rib hump did not go down. But I have to disagree on one thing--of course the spinal fusion is done to straighten out the spine as much as the surgeon can, and to help the curves from not getting any worse, but the surgery IS done to help decrease a rib hump. The fusion is done to help A LOT of things. My hump fortunately decreased amazingly, and I'm sorry to hear your's didn't go down as much, but I just wanted to add that not only does a fusion surgery try to prevent scoliosis curves from progressing, it does help rib humps a lot of the time.
            Have a nice day everyone...
            "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom."
            "Talent takes you to the top. Character keeps you there."

Comment

your decision not hers...

Brad,

Hey there! I had surgery in 2001, L5-T1. My curve was 81 degrees when I had the surgery. I just wanted you to know that my rib hump didn't completely go away, which seems to be the main reason why you want the surgery. But it did decrease by about half. Since the surgery I've had more back pain that I did before, you definitley have to stay active and take good care of yourself. But I would say all in all the surgery was well worth it. I'm three inches taller now (5'11") and I feel good. I can't bend, so my posture is great I would get a doctor to talk about this to your mum. She's probably afraid for you to have the surgery, but if you want it , that's your decision not hers.

I hope you're doing well!!

All the best,
              lisanicole
              lisanicolegrace
              29/F/Canada
              Surgery - 11/10/2000
              80° curve to 19° post op.
              www.lisanicolegrace.com
              @lisanicolegrace
              facebook
              x-rays
              picture of my back

Comment

Hump Reduction

If your hump is the only thing you're concerned about then its very possible that this surgery is not right for you. On the other hand, if you are having pain because of your back or the doctor has recommended surgery you should most definately look into spinal fusion. I had a HUGE hump on my right side, so I actually had a procedure included with my surgery that removed 5 ribs. (My surgery was three weeks ago by the way). Now my hump is completely gone. Ask your doctor if rib removal is right for you.
                Charlotte

48 degree upper curve
                L2 to T4
                Braced for 4 years
                Surgery 2/4/04

Comment

hey charlotte thanks for the info..so what was your degree of the curve, and did you have a lot of back pain..hows your back feelin now??

Comment

Hey Brad,
                    I'm glad my info was helpful. I'm not sure about what my curve was but I believe it was around 70 degrees. I never had much back pain until about a month before my surgery. I started to get a lot of soreness and cramps while I was horseback riding. I also had soreness and a sort of hot, bleeding sensation when I bent my neck for too long, like when i was as doing dishes or homework.

Now my back feels pretty good, but its hard to tell because I have a lot of movement restrictions that keep me from doing anything that might be painful. The most everyday pain I have is in my ribs and hips. Its actually a good sign because that means that the rods are pulling me into the correct position. I should also mention that the anesthesia hasn't worn off along my spine or right side of my torso so there might be more pain there later on.

I do want to stress that I feel better than before. Sometimes I forget I ever had surgery because my movement has become so normal. Again, I hope I've been helpful and good luck in the future.
                    Charlotte

48 degree upper curve
                    L2 to T4
                    Braced for 4 years
                    Surgery 2/4/04

Comment

Working...
                    X