Theory on Cause of Scoliosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Theory on Cause of Scoliosis

The cause of scoliosis is based on the following readings - I know some of them are a little dated but I think a lot of the research done in the 70's and 80's by doctors such as Min Mehta and the like was actually pivotal to a better understanding.... I do believe idiopathic scoliosis is genetic but what causes it is not so much muscular imbalances/ligaments and such because all those things are secondary to the condition. I think the answer lies in the asymmetric shape of the ribs which causes a chain reaction.

The Role Of The Ribs In The Pathogenesis Of Idiopathic Scoliosis

J.A. Sevastik, MD

Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Huddinge University Hospital, Karolinska,

Institute,Stockholm, Sweden

The main results of a series of experimental and clinical investigations have shown: a) that rib osteotomy/shortening in growing rabbits induces scoliosis which was ascribed to stimulation of the longitudinal rib growth because of the fracture and led to the hypothesis that the spinal deformity in IS can be triggered by asymmetric longitudinal rib growth, b) that in 5 of 6 deceased women with right convex thoracic IS, the left ribs were somewhat longer than the right ones c) that the left breast in scoliotic, but not in normal, girls was significantly more vascularized than that of the right one, c) that there is a slight vertebral rotation towards the right predisposing the normal spine to rotate to the same direction, d) that in growing rabbits resection of 4 intercostal nerves, including the sympathetic fibres, leads to increased vascularity of the denervated hemithorax, increased osteogenetic activity at the costochondral junction, increased longitudinal rib growth and progressive scoliosis concave to the side of denervation,with decreased kyphosis and vertebral rotation to the convexity, e) that similar results were obtained by forced mechanical lengthening of one rib in rabbits and f) that in girls with early IS the 3-D structural vertebral changes appear simultaneously and not in any particular plane. The presented set of facts when analysed in relation to one another, lend strong support to a new, the thoracospinal theory of the pathogenesis of IS according to which overgrowth of the left ribs, due to hypervascularity of the ipsilateral anterior hemithorax, alters the equilibrium of forces controlling the alignment of the normal spine, as it is predisposed to rotate to the right, and triggers the thoracospinal deformity in IS. The theory better than any other hypothesis explains the mode of origin of at least the most common form of IS, with location on the thoracic spine, concavity to the left, apex at the T7-T9 level, vertebral rotation to the right, decreased kyphosis and almost exclusive affection of adolescent girls.

The Role Of The Rib Cage In Infantile Idiopathic Scoliosis (IIS)

R. K. Pratt, R. G. Burwell and J. K. Webb

The Centre for Spinal Studies and Surgery and the School of Biomedical

Sciences, Queen’s Medical Centre, Nottingham, England

The ribs may cause scoliosis by transmission of abnormal muscle forces to the spine (Stromeyer 1836, Taylor 1904, Wojcik 1990), by unbalanced load transmission (Pal 1991) or by asymmetric rib growth (Sevastik 1984). What is the evidence for these mechanisms in IIS?

The X-ray films were reviewed of 13 patients with IIS treated by Luque trolley and convex epiphysiodesis who had 5 year follow-up. Spinal curvature (Cobb angle), vertebral tilt and rotation and the angle the ribs at the apex of the curve made with the T1S1 line were measured. Spearman rank correlation coefficients and multiple linear regression analysis were used.

The findings are as follows:

Pre-operative concave rib angle predicts both the change in spinal curvature due to surgery (p= 0.003) and the spinal curvature at 5 year follow-up (p= 0.038).

During follow-up, the concave and convex apical ribs tend to move together (p= 0.027, r= 0.58). The direction of movement of the convex apical rib during follow-up correlates negatively with the direction of movement of both convex (p= 0.019) and concave apical ribs (p= 0.031) with surgery.

Apical rib angle changes were not associated with changes in spine length (T1S1) at surgery (concave p= 0.31; convex p= 0.20) or during follow-up (concave p= 0.148; convex p= 0.886).

It is suggested that the concave apical rib angle indicates the extent to which the rib cage allows surgical correction of spinal curvature. Surgery forces a change in rib cage configuration which reverses during follow-up. Consideration of changes in spine length does not reveal evidence for the action of a muscle tether on the apical ribs.

In conclusion, the rib cage appears to act as a buttress to the spine, stabilising it against both deforming and correcting forces.

(Supported by AO/ASIF Research Commission Project 96-W21)

http://www.jbjs.org.uk/cgi/reprint/58-B/1/64

Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery British Volume 1972, 54-B, pages 230-43, titled - The rib-vertebra angle in the early diagnosis between resolving and progressive infantile scoliosis.
    Last edited by Celia; 04-12-2006, 07:16 AM.

Canadian eh
    Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

mmhhhhh, if you understand all that you're a clever person, and claiming to know "the" cause of scoliosis is very brave

"my" theory remains on the lines of; whatever causes it, and likely there are lots of different factors, what is most important is what provides the force to steer the spine (and ribcage) into growing in a different than its natural direction and counterbalancing those forces is what is required to minimise the damage or even correct it. Not necessarily rocketscience.
    Last edited by gerbo; 04-12-2006, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gerbo
      mmhhhhh, if you understand all that you're a clever person, and claiming to know "the" cause of scoliosis is like getting on thin ice, (in a snowstorm) (during a period of rapid global warming) without a lead dog to guide you.

Gerbo, Gerbo, Gerbo.....must you always fall back on the Inuit theme ? Refer back to thread title "Theory" I didn't do any of this research, I'm simply bringing it to the forefront so that people can take a look at it and say hmmmmmmm...... there is something here, no ?

Canadian eh
      Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

Gerbo, Gerbo, Gerbo.....must you always fall back on the Inuit theme ?
        sorry and apologise, do have a bit of an obsessive element to my character, have removed that bit

Comment

Refer back to thread title "Theory" I didn't do any of this research, I'm simply bringing it to the forefront so that people can take a look at it and say hmmmmmmm...... there is something here, no ?
          ok, be interesting what others think and what other theories deserve attention. Surely many of us affected in one way or another by this condition will have tried to work out what causes it, and what therefore might be succesful in treating it

Comment

Originally posted by gerbo
            sorry and apologise, do have a bit of an obsessive element to my character, have removed that bit
            You don't have to apologize ! I find those comments really funny, honest Indian

Canadian eh

Comment

well, in that case, still got a few left to use at appropriate moments......

cheers

Comment

My ribs were perfectly normal until age 11 when my scoliosis saga began.
                Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
                Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

In my daughter´s lastest x-rays, I see that the ribs are now more asymmetric than a year ago, although her Cobb angle is smaller. I´ve allways thouhgt, that the ribs´s deformity was one of the scoliosis effects.. But who knows???
                  Reading your lastest post about ligaments, ribs, grown factors...everything seems to be posible with this "Unknown Scoliosis"!!
                  I wish my english was better, so I could join your discussions...I´ll improve it, and meanwhile I will try to learn more things reading your posts, they´re full of interesting information!
                  2004: Daughter diagnosed at 13 L38º. Risser 0.
                  Treatment: Cheneau brace
                  2009: Brace free, 18 years old, Risser 5, L25º

Comment

Originally posted by AILEA
                    I wish my english was better, so I could join your discussions...I´ll improve it,

Ailea,

Your English is GREAT !!!! I've seen worse grammar by native English speakers Don't let something like that stop you from joining in discussions.....

Canadian eh

Comment

Hola ailea, your english is miles better than my spanish.

How is your daughter doing, what are her latest cobbmeasurements? Is she coping with it all?

Adios

(2 words spanish, that's pathetic, believe it or not, used to be quite fluent, when i spend half a year in central america in the mid eighties)

Comment

Ailea,
                        Don't you dare stay away because you are unsure about your English. First off, nobody would have guessed that English was not your first language, second of all, WHO CARES!!!!

We all speak the same language of scoliosis!!!!! There are no language barriers here. So join in and join in often. We need everybody's input. Especially if it's good news to share! We all love hearing good news!!!

Have a Happy Easter, Everyone!!

Melissa
                        Melissa
                        From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
                        Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Thanks for your words! It´s true we all here speak the same language of scoliosis; but .,..sometimes it´s difficult to follow the thread, and I don´t understand your "play on words"
                          If I don´t join in often, is because I don´t have new results to share. We have a spinecor appointment two weeks ago, and my daughter´s torsions seem to be lower, and she has a better posture, but she wasn´t x-rayed, so I don´t want to build up hopes, and I´d rather wait until the end of this week, when she is going to have her new x´rays. I´m especially waiting for the "in spinecor x-rays", because I need to know what is it exactly doing.

How is your daughter doing, what are her latest cobbmeasurements? Is she coping with it all?
                          She is a 15 year old teen. All her world is: music, dance, go out, friends (girls and boys ) fashion clothes.... she is trying to cope with this, but I suspect, and I see, somedays it´s very hard and now spring is coming.....

Ailea

Comment

Ailea,
                            I can relate to having a 15-year old daughter. My middle daughter is 15 and I can't imagaine having to deal with scoli for her. She has enough to deal with without having scoli. The teen years are not easy. I miss those little ones.
                            You can read all about Nicole and her visit to Shriner's on the bracing thread. We are going to the Spinecor Doc tomorrow or later this week.

Melissa
                            Melissa
                            From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
                            Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Melissa,
                              I read your post and I Know you´re going to the spinecor doc this week. I suppose you were expecting better results, but we must remember that "the goal" of bracing is to stop curves, to reduced them is an extra, and bracing is a long way. Perhaps at next appointment you could see a reduction !
                              Best wishes and good luck with your appointment.

Ailea

Comment

Working...
                              X