Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• successful surgery

Hi everyone,
    I'm sitting at the hospital using a borrowed lap top. Breanne's surgery was Friday at Cincinnati Children's. Her surgery took about 6 hours. All went well. She was fused P T3-T12. Recovery is so hard at this point. It just breaks your heart to see your child in that kind of pain. The pain management team have done their best to make her comfortable and safe. She also had a small thoracoplasty. Her Dr. removed 2 inch sections from 3 ribs to help with her rib hump and to use for her graph. She is sleeping now. They got her up and had her sit in a wheel chair for about a 1/2 hour. Ouch! Please keep her in your prayers as she recovers. I'll be happy to answer questions or offer support as I have time.
    Kate

Kate,

You're in the toughest part of recovery right now. The children not fused into the lumbar spine seem to recover much quicker, so hopefully your daughter's recovery will follow suit. You will see the biggest improvement within a couple of days of getting home from the hospital. Thanks for taking the effort to post.

Mark
    Mark & Jane, Parents of Lisa
    Daughter 15 years old
    Posterior surgery was in October, 2005, with Dr. Paul Sponseller at Johns Hopkins. Fused T2-L2 w/4 rib thoracoplasty. Rib and local autograft. All pedicle screw and stainless construct.
    Before: PT – 33, MT – 63, L – 32, kyphosis – 46.
    After: PT – 7, MT – 4, L – 15, kyphosis – 32.

Comment

Hi Kate,

I am so glad that Breanne's surgery went well - you're over one big hurdle. You are so right, it is the hardest thing to see you child in so much pain and not really be able to do anything about it. Hopefully you won't be in the hospital too much longer. Proudparents are right, you will see improvement within a couple days of being home. It certainly helps their spirits to be back in their comfortable environment. As hard as it is, get her walking a bit at a time, it really does help them recover quicker. Hope things continue to go well. Take care and keep us posted.

btw: you didn't happen to see Ryan while you were waiting during Breanne's surgery, did you??

Renee

Comment

Hi Renee,
        No I didn't run into him. We were given our own little waiting room since we were there for so long. Hope his tour went well. We're still at the hospital ,day 5 ... hopefully we'll be heading home tomorrow.
        Kate

Comment

That's good to hear - How is Breanne feeling at this point? How about you - exhausted?

Renee

Comment

Renee,
            We've been home for two nights. Her biggest discomfort is her stomach pains. Every time she stands her stomach really hurts. I'm having a hard time getting her to eat or drink. She drank and ate very little in the hospital. Had some vomiting (OUCH). Her back pain is managable. She said if her stomach didn't hurt so she could better handle the back pain. Did your son have any stomach issues? She is also having trouble with swallowing and things feeling stuck and burning in her esophogus. I told her about the thread related tho this issue. I hope it resolves itself soon as she can't really afford to lose wieght. Those calories are so important to healing.
            Take care,
            Kate

Comment

Hi Kate,

Joe didn't experience any stomach pains and he only vomited once in the hospital (Joe was dizzy from meds and regaining center of balance after surgery) Could the medication be irritating her stomach? The appetite may take a while to come back - Joe didn't have much of an appetite for a couple of weeks. Maybe some protein drinks would add a few extra calories. Hope it gets better for her soon. Keep us posted - take care-

Renee

Comment

Breeze,

Hope all is well with your daughter. My daughter who is 14 had surgery on the 6th of April and is doing well, other than having difficulty laying on her side. It hurts to breathe from the thoracoplasty. She had segments of rib bone removed from 5 ribs. Her hump is gone. She sees her surgeon on Wednesday to check her incision. Any questions, don't hesitate to ask. Good luck.

Comment

Scoliparent,
                  I'm glad to hear your daughter is doing so well. Mine is still quite sore but moving anyway. She also had a small thoracoplasty. Two inch sections were removed from three ribs. She is being fitted Tuesday for a thoracic binder to put a little pressure on her ribs to ensure they grow in flat. Her rib hump is gone and she is quite straight. Isn't it amazing. What degree curvature before and after for your daughter? Mine was 52 corrected to about 15 or less. Any other recovery issues with your daughter? Mine seems to be having some blurry vision in one eye. At first I thought it was all the pain meds but now she's just taking tylenol. I think I'll call the doctor Monday.
                  Kate

Comment

Working...
                  X