Yoga and Scoliosis Article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yoga and Scoliosis Article

Interesting article in May's issue of Yoga Journal "Scoliosis can cause back pain and many other health problems. Yoga not only brings relief but can also help you accept and embrace the body you're in." By Elise Miller

I was considering Yoga for my back pain and scoliosis but I wasn't sure if it would be too much for it.
    Adolescent Idiopathic Thoracic Lumbar Scoliosis

Back Pain started in October 2001
    Diagnosed - June 2003

Thoracic and Lumbar curves- 37 degrees
    Started Hospital examination - June 2003
    Discharged from hospital - November 2006

Comment

Yoga is GREAT... or has been in my case. It helps with core strength - which helps with a HOST of common problems scoliosis patients seem to share (pain and stiffness included). Iyengar yoga seems to have a huge concentration on scoliosis, even certifying it's instructors to work specifically with participants who have scoliosis.

Just as with anything, if you're not sure... talk to your dr.... and always start slow. Going to a private class is a good idea if you can find one in your area. The group sessions are WAY non-personal and you can hurt yourself if you push too hard - the instructors sometimes don't notice if there's a room full of people.

Give it a shot... it's fun!

Comment

Are you talking about doing yoga with scoliosis before or after surgury? I am 13 years post surgury (fusion, double rods) and I'm always curious if yoga would be impossible for me. Any thoughts?

Lisa

Comment

I only started practicing yoga about 3 years ago... my surgery was 28 years ago.

I've not had any trouble with my practice at all... I was lucky and found an instructor that does sessions in her home with only 2-3 students at a time. She's great! She's very aware of my scoliosis and has researched enough to try to help me with the 'uniqueness' of my frame.

It's definately something that you'll want to educate yourself on before heading into a session... be your own advocate and speak up. Let the instructor know so they aren't trying to help you into a 'symetrical' pose... when you're not exactly symetrical in nature!

Comment

Working...
          X