Bracing for a 5 year old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bracing for a 5 year old

Hello, this is my first post. My daughter just turned 5 in January, and was found to have a S curve. I believe her curvature is 34 at the top and 21 at the bottom. She got her TLSO brace a week ago, and is now wearing it 10 hours a day. I am feeling like it will be such a long time until she will not need to wear it anymore(until she stops growing). I feel sad that she has to go through this, but grateful that it is not something worse(and also that the Dr. found her problem). Is there anyone on this board with a child this age in a brace?

Thanks!

PS. She is the most brave person through this whole situation. It is much harder on her parents

I am so sorry!!!!!!!!
    i have a brace too my curve is 24. i have to get another brace in 2 weeks, i will have to wear it for 2 more years.
    and i am nervous cause i will be i high school
    tell your daughter that she is lucky. i have 2 wear mine for 23 hours a day

danielle

Comment

a tip to maybe help your daughter be a little bit more positive about the brace: decorate it with stickers and puffy paint... or whatever else - and make it fun!
      i'm sorry to hear that!
      GOOD LUCK TO HER!!!

AZ

Comment

hi! i had a milwankee brace from when i was 3 until i was 9.i'm 15 now. they also told me i'd have to wear it until i stopped growing but it went well and i got it off years earlier. i decorated it with stickers. we called the little shirt i had to wear under it a mermaid dress because it looked sort of like the dress in the little mermaid. it helps to make it sound glamorous. i had to wear it 23 hours a day and my parents never gave me any options. thats just the way it was because once you say you can take it off just this once it'll happen all the time. elementary school isn't nearly as bad as junior high is to have one. my teachers would tell the class about it the same way they did when someone wore a cast for a broken arm. explain to her what to tell a curious child who asks about it. i hope everything goes well for her!

Comment

hy

you should ask your doctor about muscle-streghtend therapies because 1. she did not use their back bone muscles, they could go back, this is unlikely but possible 2. the right muscle therapie (vojta for children, schroth for teens and adults)could support the correcture

Comment

brace since 1

My daughter has been in and out of braces since she is 1 and now she is 6 and we wear the brace at bedtime.

She also has had physical therapy and occupational therapy since she's 3 months old and it has helped her.

She also participates in many activities which I feel has helped.
            Swimming, dance and we added violin this year.

My daughter keeps asking who else do we know that wears the brace and how long will I have to wear it for and I don't have an answer for her.
            Lindsey's Mom

Comment

Good morning, I received the first spinal fusion in the State of Michigan, University Hospital in Ann Arbor in 1954. It was experimental surgery at that time and lasted over ten hours, my parents were told that I had a 50-50% chance of survival and less than that of ever walking again. My Scoliosis is severe and I wore a plaster cast for just over ten months, then wore a milwalkee brace for a couple of years. Anyway, presently I have no rod or metal parts of any kind in my back and never had. I'm presently prescribed Ibuprofen 600mg for some pain control and can not sit or stand with out adjusting my position, or walk any great length.
              I have worked all my life and presently am a Vocational Rehabilitaiton Counselor, buying a home, have two beautiful daughters and one with Scoliosis. She started wearing a brace at one year old and wore some form of a brace until eleven years old. At this time she had surgery for Spinal Confusion and a metal rod. My daughter is fighting for her rights as an individual with a disability, and is presently working full-time.
              At this stage in my career, I would like to work and fight for my brothers and sisters with Scoliosis. If you know of any organization, non-profits, or agencies looking for an Advocate for Individuals with Scoliosis in the State of Michigan, please forward then my email or reply to this forum.
              Never say never, and fight for your rights as an individual, find that American Dream.
              Live long and prosper!

Comment

olivia'smom,
                I too was wearing a brace. I had this brace called the COPES brace. That brace did nothing for me. I no how hard it is. My Mom found this program called ASCO scoliosis treatment and there all about building the muscles so it can hold the spine in the right spot. The best part about this program is that there is no brace and it only takes 6 weeks or your money back.(also no surgery)

Braces most times don't help!

I hope I helped,

~~~Bekah~~~

Comment

asco treatment

What is the asco treatment? Have you started it and has it worked?
                  Lindsey's Mom

Comment

Lindsey's mom,
                    I started the treatment today and I felt my back muscles working. The ASCO treatment is all about training the muscles (as I said) . It is very hard to explain . If you wanted more info look at the site .

~~~Bekah~~~

Comment

Brace

Hi DancerChick15,

You said you wore a Milwaukee brace from the age of three to nine ? What was your curve before and after treatment ? You didn't need surgery ? That is SO amazing !!!! I hope you get this message.

Celia

Canadian eh
                      Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

Hi Lindsey's mom,
                        That's so great your daughter decided to play the violin. I have been playing the violin for 7 years and just found out that I will be wearing a Minnesota brace. It's an awesome thing to be involved in. Does she do Suzuki Violin? Hope she has lots of fun with it!

ellie
                        Minnesota Brace
                        Curves: 27T/32L
                        ~ ~

Comment

Violin

Dear Ellie,

Lindsey has had private suzuki violin lessons all year and this coming Sept. I'm going to put her into the suzuki program At Queens College.

Good luck with your brace. Do you Know how a Minnesota Brace is different than a Milwauke brace?
                          Lindsey's Mom

Comment

violin

Hi Lindsey's mom,

I just got back from suzuki tour group practice. I am sure your daughter will like going to a group classes. I don't know the difference in the brace. I think it is a type of TSLO, but I am not sure. Does your daughter play ok in her brace? I am going to music camp in July and I don't know if the brace will make it hard for me to play.

Ellie
                            Minnesota Brace
                            Curves: 27T/32L
                            ~ ~

Comment

violin with brace

Hi Ellie,

my daughter is very fortunate at least for the moment she only has to wear the brace to sleep on although I'm supposed to put it on at 4 but with all of lindsey's activities we're never home.

Lindsey says to tell you that it'll be ok with the brace and you'll get used to it.

Violin camp sounds like so much fun. Where is it and where do you live?

Take care,
                              Lindsey's mom
                              Lindsey's Mom

Comment

Working...
                              X