Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scoliosis Achievements

Hey Guys!
    I’m new here and I’m 17 from Australia. I have already had 2 operations; Spinal fusion to correct my 65 degree thoracic curvature [22/3/04] and Thoracoplasty to treat my ‘hump’ [protruding ribs] [9/05]. I do the occasional modeling for teenage magazines here and I am not ashamed of my scoliosis any more! I love sports and I never let the operations get in the way of my love for sport. I am finishing school soon and I want to study medicine and then specialize in the field of Orthopedics. My scoliosis inspired me so much that I want to help other people with the same problems. I think it would be great if there were more doctors out there that had the same experience and that were more empathetic. In the holidays I did an army preparation course overseas and I received the award for the best soldier. Having scoliosis gave me the lowest profile however that didn’t seem to be a disadvantage considering everyone else in my troop was in full health. What was funny was that my health insurance wouldn’t cover me if I went to the prep course. I just want to hear stories from other people who have scoliosis and accomplished something that they didn’t think they could ever do or what others objected to.

Lauren xoxo

Awesome!!!!!! You go girl!!!

Comment

Hey Lauren, I too have had 2 surgeries, one to correct my scoli and one to remove a rod that was on a nerve. With this whole journey I decided to become a physicians assistant and study ortho and specifically scoli. I want to work with my surgeon when I am done with school. Good luck in med school.
      Mandy

Comment

Hey Lauren and Mandy!

I'm 22 years old, and I am currently in medical school. I've had 3 surgeries, with one more to go sometime in the next 5 years or so. I've had 2 posterior and 1 anterior, and because of all the trauma to my body, my correction is only down to 37* lumbar and 25* thoracic. I think it's great that many of us find interest in the medical field after our experiences. And I completely agree that it is important that we will be able to offer true empathy to our future patients. Unlike you, however, I am not interested in orthopedics! I still have chronic pain that worsens with prolonged standing, so surgery is not for me. I am interested in adolescent medicine, because it's such a sensitive age to be going through so many changes, especially if you have scoli! Best of luck to you both.

Katie
        ScoliMed is Katie
        22 years old

Diagnosed at 13, thoracic 38, lumbar 49
        Posterior fusion 1999
        Failed, lumbar curve to 70
        Posterior removal 2000
        Anterior fusion 2000, thoracic 26, lumbar 37
        Still in pain, tried almost everything!
        Currently in medical school

Comment

Physical Therapist career

My daughter has scoliosis, although thankfully was never at the point for bracing or surgery. She has seen me suffer with pain for so many years and has gone to countless doctor appointments and physical therapy appointments with me that she, very early on, made her decision for her career. She is presently in college and will gratuate with her Doctorate in Physical Therapy. It's a long, tough program but she loves it. Good Luck to all! LYNN
          1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
          2000 Partial Rod Removal
          2001 Right Scapular Resection
          12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
          06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

At first it's hard to see any positive aspects from having scoliosis now when I look back it gives us such a different outlook on life and changes us for the better. They say, “What hurts you only makes you stronger.” It’s amazing to see how we all changed such a negative hurdle into something as a positive growing experience.
            Great work guys!

Comment

Working...
            X