worried mom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• worried mom

I guess I need to ask the doctor what apex my daughter's curve is at. T-8 doesn't seem really high though. I have a feeling my daughter's may be higher but I plan on calling tomorrow and finding out. I would be thrilled if she would qualify for a lower profile brace. The doctor did say her spine was flexible which I guess is one positive plus she doesn't have any other curves that I am aware of. Once I find out her curve I may call the brace maker and see what, if any, options there are for bracing. Do you guys know if 23 hours is the norm for wearing the milwaukee or does it vary? If it does vary, what does it depend on? I think it would be easier for her somewhat if she could have it off for a few hours a day so she could at least continue with some of her activities (dance, maybe cheering). Also, does the Milwaukee look as awkward and noticable as it does in some of the photos I've seen? I don't think I have ever seen anyone wearing one before. They must not be very common around here. Any further info is great, I appreciate all of the responses (even though some of the info really scares me). Stacy

Hi Stacy,

As far as the time in the brace, you can go to pub med on the internet and search for studies about bracing. The professionals we are dealing with take the position that a minimum of 16 hours is required and that more may be better. Catherine wears hers for 18 most days and sometimes gets 20. She wears it to school as well as sleeping and uses the hours out for PE, freedom after school to ride bikes, play, do Pilates, and horseback ride. Both doctors as well as our orthotist were unanimous that she should not stop her physcial activites and that they wanted her to be as active as possible. I hope that helps!
    Kim
    Kim

Comment

Working...
    X