Snowboarding & Spinal Rods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snowboarding & Spinal Rods

17 years old (a month from 18). five years post surgery. spinal fusion and metal rods from T5 to L5. Date of surgery:08/20/2001; 23; 50; 32 degree curves. Dextroscoliosis and Levoscoliosis.

Alright. My parents recently bought this cabin for a month every year in Beaver Creek, Colorado. Well, they decided, of course, we needed something to do while up there and thought we could choose between snowboarding and skiing. Well everyone choose snowboarding, and I did as well. It's like a dream come true for me. We went up about mid-Feb. and were planned to have a three-day snowboarding class. Well, my parents were only going to allow me to snowboard if I wore this back protector. It didn't look like much to me, and I agreed if it would allow them to let me on those slopes. Well, I turned out to be a natural at snowboarding. I picked it up immediatly at became the instructors star pupil. About an hour before the lessons ended for the first day. The instrutor allowed me to go down an intermediate course. I was amazing, Matt (the instructor) kept yelling out moves and tasks for me to complete and I was doing them seamlessly. Well, near the end of the course, I'm talking about the last one hundred feet here. I could see my family cheering for me and all. Well, I guess I lost my concentration, and with my speed. I caught and bad front-edge and flew into the air, and landed straight on my neck. If that wasn't bad enough I flipped a couple more times. I'm not sure if I was out to long. But I remember looking up and thinking I had to finish. Well, i get up and slid the rest of the way. And sort of pass out into my instructor. Well, I got taken to the hospital on a back board with a neck brace by ski patrol on one of those ski mobils. I turned out to be alright. Heavily bruised and banged up, but nothing broken. My parents wouldn't let me snowboard the rest of the vacation though. I'm a tough chick though, so that really hurt me, especially since i refused any medication, no matter how much it hurt. I geared up the next day and went down two slopes and my mother called it quits for me. hopefull not for good though. So if your out in colorado this winter make sure to have your video tape handy I might just have a show for ya. -Ali

Thanks for sharing your experience . . . I loved it, I grinned thru the whole story, now I have to show it to my daughter (or should I!!!) whose 18 months post-op! Pat

Comment

Correction!

Sorry, I guess I really didn't grin till I got to the end, and saw you were okay!!! p

Comment

Way to go Alleycat! I luckily had very supportive parents of all physical activity as well post-op and they pretty much let me have free rein (within reason). There is absolutely nothing like Colorado skiing (although I've never tried snowboarding). I skied for years and had the best wipe outs (until I read yours). My brothers loved to "snow" me when I fell

I would, however, suggest that you maybe refrain from jumping too much or doing anymore neck landings...that probably isn't too wise

Enjoy the slopes-
        Always Smilin

Always Smilin'
        Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1
        pre op 45 - post op 33 (left thoracic)
        pre op 53 - post op 18 (right thoracic)

recheck 2006
        right thoracic 57
        lower lumbar 34

surgical revision April 28,2009
        revision T3-L1; new fusion L1-L4
        unsure of degrees at this point

Comment

Ali, great job with that fall. I am overly sensitive to cold at this point otherwise I probably woudl have gone skiing this year at some point. Also, I had surgery in december which kinda cut out my ski season. Hope it was worth it. Sounded like it was. Enjoy Colorado next year.
          Mandy

Comment

god job !!!!!!
            Virtual Pets |
            Games |
            Create a Virtual Pet

Comment

Way to go!

O.k., so that wasn't the end result you wanted, but wait until this Winter to try again. You have to learn your limits. If you are going to snowboard do it with caution. I know I went skiing in the Beverian Alps in Feb 05 and had a blast. I was very sore, but loved every minute of it!! Wiped out good a couple of times, but it was soft powder . . . luckily. Have yet to get myself to go for snowboarding lessons, but who knows Virginia has a few slopes right. Let us know if your folks let you try again.

Jer

Comment

Working...
              X