Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back making me depressed :(

Hiya all

I'm new to the forum by the way, so, hiya everyone.

In October 2001 I started having mild back pain in the lumbar region. My Mum took me to the doctors in April 2002 as it wasn't going, I was prescribed with strong pain killers (orange one end, green the other) but I couldn't swallow them and I also had this cream for my back. My back pain still wouldn't budge. Later that year I had to quit going to karate lessons as I thought that caused the pain. Then April 2003 I was taken to the doctors again, but with a different doctor, and he told me to go to hospital as I may have scoliosis. The next month I went, had the x-ray, and my jaw dropped when I saw the x-ray, yep, a lovely scoliosis! The next month I was taken to hospital for further investigation, I had a bone scan and a scoliogram. I needed a scoliogram and check-ups every six months.

With my last appointment I was diagnosed with 'Adolscent - Idiopathic - Thoracic - Lumbar - Scoliosis' with a thoracic curve of 31 degrees and lumbar curve of 26 degrees.

I am still getting back pain. From summer 2005 to about Mid February this year I didn't experience much back pain but I bashed it on the corner of a dining chair and I've been getting extreme back pain since, so bad I've been on the breech of tears (and it's hard for me to cry). I take paracetamol and ibrofen but the pain still doesn't go, I also lay down with a hot water bottle but I find it makes my back sting. I had to undo my bra when I come back from school, but I didn't need to before. It makes me tired, hyperventilate, sick and hot and I tend to snap at people but I don't mean to. My parents won't do anything about it so all I can do is lie on my bed in agony. My doctors won't do anything for it either, it p***** me right off and I get really annoyed and depressed about it.

Also I think my back is getting curve becaue I notice that one side of my rib cage is closer to my hip then the other side, also the right side of my rib cage / shoulder is poking out more then the other, I've never noticed these things before.

Does anyone have any advice or similar stories?
    Last edited by Jadey; 03-20-2006, 03:09 PM.
    Adolescent Idiopathic Thoracic Lumbar Scoliosis

Back Pain started in October 2001
    Diagnosed - June 2003

Thoracic and Lumbar curves- 37 degrees
    Started Hospital examination - June 2003
    Discharged from hospital - November 2006

Hey !!!!!!! I understand you very well. I think all of us have passed through this situation. I think you should talk to you parents and let them know how you feel about this and the changes you're seeing in your body. Scoliosis can increase from one moment to another. they need to be very careflull with this. I have 53 degrees toracic lumbar scoliosis and when I'm in pain don't want anyboby talking to me either, trust me is not only you.

I hope you feel better knowing your not alone and that were here to hear you and help you if we can.
    Angela

Idiopatic Scoliosis
    Thoracic-lumbar = 53 degrees
    3 disc with early degeneration and
    1 disc with a hernia
    no surgery as of yet

Comment

Thanks for the advice.

I've tried talking to my parents but they don't want to listen to me. It really annoys me because there's me I'm walking around the house, my back is hurting, and they just ignore me. I'm starting to hate living at home now

Diagnosed - June 2003

Comment

Get it treated if possible

I'm not trying to scare you or anything, but your story sounds analogous to mine in many ways. It's amazing how stupid physicians can really be.

I'm an adult, amost 35 years old now, and first started having sporadic back pain in 1999. I think it was an uncomfortable car that initiated the whole thing, but getting rid of the thing helped only slightly. But, since I'm "quite well compensated" (to borrow the words of the chiropractor who actually made the diagnosis), it went undetected until just last month-- a 34 degree thoracic and 28 degree lumbar curve. My idiot physician never had a clue. I guess it's partly because my legs are of equal length and pelvis is not rotated, so there's not really much of an outward sign of it. I passed every scoliosis screen done during my school years. The pain, while still off and on, has has only worsened over the past 7 years.

Most physicians are idiots. You have to press and goad them to come to the right conclusions, but make sure you DO YOUR HOMEWORK FIRST. Most of them are not well trained to use higher-order thinking skills. Medical schools reinforce rote memorization, because it's what gets most of them through school in the first place (here in the states, at least). With the patient load many physicians have, they often don't have the time or energy to really exhaustively research the subject and see what's out there as far as treatment options and management options.

Also, most physicians are loathe to treat pain. They'll treat you like a junkie if you insist on some kind of pain management medication. You should probably use mild over-the-counter drugs (acetominophen, naproxen, etc.) for everyday pain, and get something stronger from a doctor to manage those flare-ups that I'm sure you are familiar with now. Be persistent on this. Also, be CAREFUL... while some of these drugs, like OxyContin, are a Godsend for management of chronic pain, they can be HIGHLY addictive. It's best to have someone you know keep the medicine for you and give it to you when they can tell you really need it. I have my wife keep these for me, hidden away, so that I'm not even tempted unless I'm having one of those flare-ups that I'm sure you've become all-to-familiar with.

This last flare-up has lasted for weeks. I'm getting quite tired of it, so believe me, I know what you're going through. Things that help my flare-ups are a nice hot shower with the "pulsating massage" feature, immediately followed with an ice pack, and an occasional (professional) massage. If you opt for the massage, you might look for someone who has experience with scoliosis patients.

I guess my point is, keep pressing on your doctor. Become a pain in the (_I_) to the point where he or she will finally DO something rather than just tell you that they can't do anything.

Finally, you need to get it treated. You're probably not at spinal maturity, so bracing might be an option to help halt the progression of the curve. Are you wearing a brace? Your curves are at about the right degree where the SpineCor might work. It's way too late for me. It's just something I now have to live with. YOU have a chance to do something about it, something I did not have.
        28 degrees cervicothoracic, 34 degrees thoracolumbar, not diagnosed until age 34. Get yourself and your children screened early!

Comment

Thanks for the message, was a great relief to finally talk to someone who understands how I'm feeling.

I'm thinking of going to the doctors soon ish as the pain is still persisting and is stopping me for doing normal things and makes more domestic jobs alot harder (hanging the washing outside and emptying the dishwasher). As I'm 16 I am allowed to visit the doctor without an adult, although I'm tempted to bring a friend as my Mum won't take me.

I don't currently wear a brace at the moment, my consultand told me that my spine isn't curved enough nor is it curving enough (it curved to 1 dgree in nine months but then the thoracic curved by 2 degrees and the lumbar decreased by 3 in the next three months) but he thinks my spine is getting straighter.

I do empathise you. My doctors do sweet **** all with my pain, all they are mainly conserned about is getting me dischardged as my spine is 'straightening'.

Once again thank you for the message, good luck with everything

Diagnosed - June 2003

Comment

For Jadey

I sent you an e-mail just a few minutes ago. LYNN
            1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
            2000 Partial Rod Removal
            2001 Right Scapular Resection
            12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
            06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Thanks Lynn, I've replied.

Diagnosed - June 2003

Comment

Hiya all

Well today I was absolute agony, it was draining me!

Anyway my Mum came home from work, saw me, and said "I'll book you a doctors appointment for next monday." It cheered me up because we're finally doing something about it.

Thanks everyone for supporting me I'll let you know what happens.

Diagnosed - June 2003

Comment

Well, kind of pissed off, Mum isn't going to book me a doctors appointment now, instead she bought me stronger pain killers (Panadol Solubal EXTRA) and she MAY try and get me a soon hospital appointment at the hospital.

Diagnosed - June 2003

Comment

I know what you are saying...

Hey im new here and i know what you mean....No one will do anything for me and the pain in unbearable! how do you cope with it? there are days i can't even move.....

Comment

Hiya, welcome to the forum.

I bought myself some disolvable pain killers but when they ran out my Mum bought me stronger stuff, same paracetomol but stronger. I don't know how I cope, I just do I s'pose. I've had pain since October 2001 and I'm so used to it now, I mean it's been alot worse since mid February this year and I have days in which I just don't have the energy to go on but I just do.

Diagnosed - June 2003

Comment

I've had pain since October 2001 and I'm so used to it now, I mean it's been alot worse since mid February this year and I have days in which I just don't have the energy to go on but I just do.[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean-- the pain comes and goes, just seems that my flare-ups have been much worse in the last 3 months or so. I have my good days and my bad days. Walking (at least 1-2 miles) seems to really help, at least in my case, but each case seems to be different. I've had to give up carrying my daughter for more than about 5-10 minutes at a time because it causes a sharp pain right between my scapulae (aggravating the thoracic curve no doubt).

I've been doing some background reading researching the subject, and it seems that what passes for enlightened scientific thinking in this field is abject B.S. Most of the studies are poorly designed because the controls are not well matched, and find no correlation with pain levels because the old geezers that they match with the study participants have pain from their various other ailments!

I frankly don't see how some of these studies ever make it past peer review. They're positively awful!
                        28 degrees cervicothoracic, 34 degrees thoracolumbar, not diagnosed until age 34. Get yourself and your children screened early!

Comment

Hiya again

Well I'm at school at the moment and my back is hurting like hell! My shoulder blades hurt, I can not lift anything light, open and close my bag or even put my jacket on. My lower back just aches. Basically what happened was yesterday I was jumping about and jarred my back and I also fell over. My back hurts like hell and I don't know what to do, I have no energy and I'm hyperventilating. Help me please

EDIT: I'm also hot and sweaty.

Diagnosed - June 2003

Comment

im sorry please just try and stay as positive as possible i know it is hard
                            Virtual Pets |
                            Games |
                            Create a Virtual Pet

Comment

I am a very positive person, I go through many difficulties and still be able to put a smile on my face, but my back just wipes it off.

Diagnosed - June 2003

Comment

Working...
                              X