Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sports after surgery/ Lung capacity

Hi,
    I'm a new member. My daughter has a 51 degree curve and has diminished lung capacity. She is scheduled for surgery April 7th. This forum is great. I was happy to see answers to many of the same questions we've had. Here are two I'm hoping some of you have thoughts on...

1- My daughter plays high school and club soccer. Can anyone share their experiences with sports after surgery? How long did your doctor say it would be before full sport activities could be resumed? We were told at least 6 months.

2- Has anyone had diminished lung capacity with a thoracic curve in the 50's?
    The doctor said it is because her upper spine is straighter( front to back) than normal?? Any thoughts or info?

Thanks!!
    Kate

Hi Kate...

I don't know a lot about it, but it sounds to me like, in addition to being scoliotic, your daughter has been diagnosed as being kypokyphotic, which reduces the area of the ribcage. Assuming that the surgeon can either stop the regression of kyphosis (or even increase the kyphosis), your daughter's lung capacity will hopefully never worsen.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Linda,
      Thanks for your response. I was able to find some info on hypokyphosis that was helpful. I'm hoping to get more details from the ortho and pulmologist at our next appointment. We would still love to hear about experiences with sports after surgery. Anyone??...
      Thanks!!
      Kate

Comment

Hi Kate. I can give you my daughter's experience in sports. My daughter played high school and club soccer and went on to play college soccer. Her pain and curve increased to the point at the end of her sophomore year she decided to have the surgery (May 2005). Her surgeon actually released her to do whatever activity her body would allow at 3 months. So, in theory she could have played in the fall. However there is no way her body was ready. She started jogging and doing light weight training and stretching. She was never at the point to go on the field until 8 months post op, where she was doing actual body contact scrimmage. Her first off-season game was at 9 months post op. She was on the field no more than 5 minutes and took a pretty bad fall. She's ok, but it shook her up pretty good. Her next game, 5 days later, she was in for maybe 10 minutes. She held her own and took a pretty good shot on goal. Basically, she's 10 months post op, is less agile, less flexible, and no where near having the speed she had before. Her lung capacity is good though. However, she is 21, and it seems that there is a huge difference in recovery from the girls who are younger teens when they have their surgery. I've talked to a gal on here that after surgery went on to be a high school all state player. So there definitely are success stories. Good luck to your daughter.
        Linda

Comment

Hi Linda! Curious, how long is your daughter's fusion; it's nice to hear your daughter was back in the game so soon after surgery. My daughter's about 18 months post-op, and I still cringe when she takes a hit playing out in the yard, can't imagine her playing competitive soccer. Her fusion is T-4 - L-3. Thanks! pat

Comment

Hi Pat...

I think you meant to address your post to Tiny.

--Linda
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Hi Linda! Is Tiny Linda also?!! Or should I say is Linda Tiny also? Sorry!! Pat

Comment

Not that I know of. You addressed your post above to Linda, but you asked about her daughter's fusion. Since I don't have a daughter with a fusion, I assume that you really meant Tiny, who does have a daughter with a fusion.

--Linda

Comment

To clear up the confusion, I noticed that Tiny signed off as Linda at the end of her post.

As for getting back to sports, I'm guessing it may also depend on the length and location of the fusion. Before my son's surgery, our dr. mentioned one of his patients (with a double curve, I think) who only had a partial fusion so she would not lose too much mobility because she was trying to qualify for the 2006 Olympic Ski Team. She may have made it, I forgot her name, my mind was busy worrying about my son. I do remember him saying she was going to have the bottom portion fused at a later date, a bit extreme IMHO but worth it I guess if your that serious about your sport.

Anyway, just wanted to give your daughter hope, I don't think she will have to give up sports forever.

Renee

Comment

Originally posted by flowerpower
                    To clear up the confusion, I noticed that Tiny signed off as Linda at the end of her post.
                    OOPS! Sorry.

Comment

Sorry guys. I've confused everyone. My daughter started on the forum back before her surgery as "tiny". I'm her mom, Linda, and just took over under her name. So I forgot that it was under the name "tiny".
                      Anyway, Pat, she was fused from T4 to L3. She really has done well for only being 10 months post op and playing soccer, and I have to keep reminding her of that because she's frustrated that she's not where she was before the surgery.
                      "tiny"(Linda)

Comment

Wow, she really has done well, same amount fused as my daughter. Thanks Linda! Pat

Comment

Working...
                        X