When and why is an MRI prescribed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When and why is an MRI prescribed?

We were just asked to get an MRI on my daughter who has 40T and 30L curves. Anyone else had one and what does it exactly tell for scoliosis and when is it usually prescribed? Thanks

I'm not sure, but isn't it standard to do MRI's before surgery or if there is suspicion of spinal cord issues ?

Canadian eh
    Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

Yes, I believe it is standard. Our ortho told us that he routinely does an MRI to rule out any underlying causes of scoliosis ( such as a problem with the spinal chord.) For us it was a precautionary measure. Sounds like he is just being thorough.
      God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

My daughter only had an MRI before surgery. They were checking the size of her pedicles to see if they could use screws during her surgery or not.

I think an MRI is pretty much standard when a young child is diagnosed with Scoliosis to rule out other problems.

Mary Lou
        Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

pre-op MRI

My surgeon told me I needed the MRI to see the condition of the discs below my fusion which would determine whether I needed to be fused to the sacrum.

The discs were all in bad shape-I also had a 40 deg curve lumbar so they wore unevenly as well.

No pain at all now.
          Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
          Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

i only had a MRI because they thought that i had a syst on my spine...which turned out to be untrue

and they also checked my disks and stuff like that

Comment

Working...
            X