WalkaThon for Scoliosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WalkaThon for Scoliosis

I was looking through the website of our local scoliosis support group here in San Diego and came across an announcement that the Scoliosis Assocation, Inc. is having a "Sweep Across America for Scoliosis" starting 3/18/06 in Boca Raton, FL and ending in CA (San Diego I think) in September. It is for the 30th anniversary of the Scoliosis Assoc. and the goal is to raise $30,000. From what I understand, a check will be presented to the Scoliosis Research Society when they have their meeting here in San Diego in September. So the San Diego area will host their walkathon in September. I'm kind of excited about it and plan to either volunteer or participate. Wanted to get the word out to anyone who may be interested and just wondering if anyone else has heard of this in their area or is planning to participate. It would be awesome to raise over the $30K, don't you think?............Have a great day everyone!

Renee

Hey Renee,

Jamie and I run a support group in Central PA and although our group is very small, we are hoping to have a walk-a-thon sometime in May.

Mary Lou
    Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

That is awesome Mary Lou! Maybe friends and/or family will participate or support in honor of Jamie How far do you plan on walking? I think (not sure) the local chapter here is doing 1 - 1.5 mi.

Renee

Comment

omg thats sooooo cool! I'd love to do that, but I don't think our area is doing that. Seeing how it's from Boca Raton (You know that means Rat's Mouth in spanish. what a silly name! lol!) to San Diego, and I live in Kentucky it's not really in the area. It would be nice to contribute though!
        ~Leelee ♪
        [-] 17 years old
        _[-] 12th grade
        [-] scoliosis, 45T and 42 L
        _[-] kyphosis, 67*
        [-] Boston brace for 4 years
        _[-] Stopped 6/8/05 at 4:32 PM

Comment

Hi LeeLee,

I don't know if or where there is a local scoliosis support group in your area but I think it would be up to each individual chapter to organize their own. Maybe check out the Scoliosis Assoc., Inc. website or check with your ortho's office - maybe they could help you find a local chapter in your area if you are interested.

Renee

Comment

Hi, Flowerpower
            I had a suggestion for your son's birthday I guess take it for what it is worth!
            Ha! Ha! Does he play video games? If so, perhaps a few of his friends can come over and have a gaming party. Have food and drink like you would a superbowl party. I don't know about the magician they might think it is too kiddish! I have a 14-year-old brother so I have an idea of what they like at that age. I know it is a toughie!
            Linda
            Mom to Hunter (10 yrs old), status post posterior spinal fusion T1-sacrum 7/24/06 w/spastic quad CP

Comment

Hi Blackwidow,

That is an excellent suggestion.....and that is what we have done for the past couple of years; invite some of Joe's friends for a sleepover and they stay up "gaming" until the wee hours of the morning. That will probably be his first choice again; I don't know why I feel like I need to come up with something different - is that a mom thing?? After everything he has been through this past year dealing with scoli and surgery I just wanted to do something really special for him; he sure deserves it. He hasn't been as outgoing socially, friends from school will invite him to join them at movies, etc. and most of the time he declines so I just thought maybe something like a surprise party would help him get over any shyness or self-conscious feelings he may have.

I appreciate your input, you are absolutely right, that is what most of the boys this age are into so why mess with a good (and relatively easy) thing!? O.k. now I won't feel bad if we do the sleepover thing - thanks again!

Take care,

Renee

Comment

Working...
              X