Found Scoliosis in Ultrasound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found Scoliosis in Ultrasound

I had an ultrasound at 20 weeks and they found an abnormal leg and scoliosis, although i am not sure of the extent. I had an amino and it came back clear. I am unsure of the life of a child with this and if it is painful, all the questions. I have another appt. on the 21st, so i hope to find out where i stand. I was offered to terminate , on the day of the ultrasound--is scoliosis that bad to deal with? I have read so much and i get mixed information.

Thank you for any help you can give me,
    Gwen

I was so sorry to read about your news. Scoli can be very uncomfortable, but, with a fetus that is showing developmental problems, scoli is often a symtom of other problems. I sounds like you need to talk to your OB doc more in detail about what is going on with your baby.
    SandyC

Comment

I am afraid your doctors offer to terminate really hit a nerve with me... let me explain.

My son was born with a birth defect that led to scoliosis as well as other issues, and I have to tell you that he is priceless to me. He has a wonderful demeanor, a "kick butt" attitude when it comes to dealing with his issues, and is the light of my life. There is so much that they can do with scoliosis these days, as compared with when he was little (he is 9 yrs old now).

Doctors can see alot on US, however US is NOT perfect. I know of several people who were told their children had various physical deformities, yet when the child was born those deformities were non-existent. And with a clean amniocentesis you already know that there arent any trisomy issues.

Sadly, in my opinion, some doctors are far too quick to offer abortion/termination when a child appears to not be perfect. How many of us out there are perfect? Some need glasses, some end up needing surgeries of some kind, and some have more complicated lives. And how many of the people on this list ended up scoliosis later in life, as 5 yr olds, 10 yr olds, 15... if we could have predicted that they would have scoliosis would it have been the right thing to terminate them just so they wouldnt have to deal with it later on in their lives? How about cancer? Same thing?

Yes, sometimes there is sometimes some pain involved (but not always, and there are good pain meds out there these days that can help tremendously) and sometimes there are other issues that go along with the scoliosis, but I think, for me (and this is entirely MY opinion) that my heart would have hurt far more to think that I had not given this wonderful child of mine a chance at life. He has touched so many people in his 9 yrs... his heart is pure gold as is his love of life. If you could but know him, you could see that the scoliosis has done nothing but caused him to be a very special child who knows how to LIVE far more intensely than typical kids. He treasures life, each and every day. We could all learn from these kids I think...

Anyway... like I said, your doctor hit a nerve with me. I am very passionate when it comes to this subject, scoliosis and birth defects and children.. can you tell?

I will be praying for you and your child as you go about finding out more regarding his/her health and make decisions about his/her future.

Heidi
      Heidi (mom to 3 boys, Sean is 9 and has LCDH, SBS, is TPN, O2, and Bipap dependent, has SVC stenosis/stent x4, severe malignant scoliosis fused twice from T1-L2, halo traction for 2 months, severe restrictive lung disease, a CVL and GT, Fundo x2, and is one of my heroes.)

Comment

Hi Gwen,

Your situation sounds very familiar to what experience we had. Our Braydon is now 10.5 yrs old. During an ultrasound at 19 weeks, we could see a curved spine, a hole in the heart (closed before birth), a dilated left kidney, a right clubfoot and a single vessel umbilical cord. Braydon was born "healthy" at 39 weeks.

Please visit my webpage so you can SEE how good he looks and how active and healthy he is.

http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

He is thriving today because of medical technology. It hasn't been an easy road, but, it has most definitely been worth it. I have learned so much about myself and about my children since having Braydon in our lives. I can't begin to imagine what life would be like without him.

Scoliosis that is found during a fetal ultrasound means there are certain other possible birth defects you need to look for. The spine develops about the same time as the heart and kidneys. This doesn't mean there are always abnormalities. You will want to make sure the other organs are healthy and strong. And, just because there may be malformations of an organ, that doesn't mean the organ doesn't function well. Braydon's kidneys are malformed (they are fused together - didn't separate during fetal growth) but they function just fine. Things like that.

Before Braydon was born, my biggest concern for him was future back pain. To date, he has minimal back pain. He has had 10 back surgeries so far, but other than surgical pain (short-term) his back does not bother him at all.

Please keep asking questions. I'd be happy to share more of our experiences with you. My email address is boulderfam@hotmail.com

take care and congratulations on your pregnancy.
        Carmell
        mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

ultrasound scoli found

I have got to agree with Heidi (hope that was name) on this. Wow that hit a big nerve with me too! My son is now 12 yrs old and we did not find the scoli until the day he was born and after extensive genetics testing they never located exact reason as to why he was born but said somehow the mixture of me and my hubby and if had more kids would do a more extensive type ultrasound to detect if that child had any medical problems and terminate if wanted. Oh my I always think terminate, I cant imagine not having Cole!!! NO no no, he is the best thing ever happened to me and such a joy and trooper thru all his many many surgeries.

He also was born with hole in heart which closed by the time he was 1 yr old and he had a double hernia they operated on at 3 days old. He had bad infection at birth too and many tests done and was in neonatal for a wk at birth but all well worth it!

I hope you have not made a decision to terminate especially since amnio shows no negative problems. You take the hand God dealt you no matter and you make the best of it - I did! Oh never had more kids with hubby and now divorced. He had another baby last yr with his new wife and no medical problems at all with him. Good luck to you!

Comment

i have to agree with the others when i read this it hit a nerve.......yes scoli can be hard to deal with and sometimes you don't know where to turn but trust me the love of that baby is well worth the turmoil that scoli can cause. My son Khyler is 3 and despite the fact he has a 98 degree curvature he is the most awsome little boy ever (maybe im biased) but he has a great personality and a zest for life that we could all learn from and i thnak god for every good and bad day that ive had with him and look forward to the future.

Comment

I guess we all have that same Mommy nerve. My son, David, was diagnosed at 15 months. While he has not been through as much as some, he wore a back brace for three and a half years, had 2 surgeries - one was major (he was in the hospital a week), has had several MRIs that he had to be sedated for, etc. etc. He is the most lovable, spunky, happy kid you could meet. I think God gives these kids a little something special to help them overcome any difficulties they may have to face. David is the youngest of my 3 children and brings so much joy to not only myself and his dad, but to his two older siblings, grandparents, teachers and just about anyone lucky enough to meet him. Yes, there have been some very difficult, teary moments but I wouldn't trade a single one of them.

We are all hear to help answer any questions as best we can and to offer our support.

(hugs),
              mariaf305@yahoo.com
              Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
              Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Hi Gwen,

Your doctor also hit a nerve with me. I was diagnosed with Scoliosis in the third grade. I had surgery at age 42. I live a completely normal life, work 50+ hours per week, travel and do almost anything I want to do.

I have a 50 yr old sister who was born with Downs Syndrone. What a God send and a blessing she has been to me and our family. She has managed to be healthy all these years despite her Downs. I can't imagine life without her. She has taught our family the true meaning of unconditional love! She has brought me so much joy!

I am praying that you won't consider terminating. I'm so thankful 2000 yrs. ago Mary didn't decide to terminate...what hope would any of us have?

Kindest Regards,
                Gail
                Last edited by Gail; 03-24-2006, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X