Could Bracing make back worse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could Bracing make back worse?

My daughter has been sleeping in a Providence brace for over a week now.
    She seems very fatigued and her back looks worse to me and she isn't sitting
    as well as she was before... If that makes any sense.
    Has anyone every experienced this?
    Could a back brace make the scoliosis curve worsen?
    Thanks in advace for any comments.
    Kristy

Sleeping in a brace takes a while to adjust to (wearing one period takes adjusting!) and what helped me was sleeping with a pillow under my legs. I remember how odd it felt to sit or even walk without my brace, you have something pushing at your spine and she'll just get used to that. In a week, you shouldn't notice much of a difference at all (for example, broken bones don't heal overnight ya know?) But if your talking about irritation from the brace, cotton tshirts are good to wear under it (if she doesn't do that already) Good luck to you both
    shannon

Comment

Has she had an x-ray in brace to see what it does to her curves? My daughter had no correction in her first brace and without correction, our ortho said she might as well not wear it (i.e. without correction, it is not applying enough pressure in the right places to halt or slow the curve.)

Sometimes curves progress quickly,also. My daughter's curve progressed quickly this last year. Jan 05 it was 19 degrees. July '05 it was 24 degrees. December '05 it was 33 degrees. January '06 it was 38 degrees. And every time I kept telling myself(esp. July to Dec, but also Dec to Jan), when I thought she looked worse, that it couldn't progress that fast.

Hope things are already better and this reply is a moot point!

Hugs! Cheryl
      Last edited by cherylplinder; 02-21-2006, 10:50 PM.
      God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

I wore my providence brace for 2-3 months and my 23T 35L went to 40T 55L my progress was propably because overnight wearing was not enough (i did wear it every night)
        Veronika
        Mák Veronika
        14 yr.o. girl 9th grade
        40T
        54L
        +rotation
        Boston Brace since December 2005
        Location in Florida

I play flute.
        I LOVE ROCK!!!!!

Comment

Working...