Confused Mom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused Mom

After spending 2 hours reading as much info on scoliosis I am more confused than ever!
    My daughter has been having severe pain. Started Monday in right hip has now traveled all over. I saw Chiro on Monday they said severe Scoliosis. Took her to new Doc today because family doc on vacation and they said same thing and sent us to hospital for a scoliosis xray.
    What can I expect next?
    Will the pain go away?
    Will she be able to continue playing volleyball and basketball?
    Is there questions I should be asking the docs?
    Do I stop chiro treatments?

Any help would be appreciated!

P.S. She is 14, 5'8"and has been having her periods for 3 yrs now so I think she is probably done growing.
    Last edited by Nae's Mom; 02-15-2006, 07:21 PM. Reason: more info

Hi!

Hmmm. well if the doctor said she has severe scoliosis i would DEFINITELY found out what her curves are. I have a spinecor brace and my curves are somewhat tiny (a lot of people dream to have curves like mine) they are 23 and 19. And that's just mild scoliosis. So, i would take her to a pediatric orthopedic that specializes in scoliosis (thats what my mom said). If the doctor says she needs a back brace i would really look into SpineCor. http://www.spinecorporation.com/English/index.htm thats the spinecor website. well hope all goes well.
    **lauren
    Diagnosed @ age 14 (now 15)

i HAVE A LOVELY SPINECOR BRACE

CUrVES* 14&&17 as of 4.22.06 (out of brace)

ATLANTA, GEORGiA

Comment

Thanks Lauren!
      I don't have much info yet just lots of things thrown our way. But the biggie for my daughter is her sports so she is a little worried.

Comment

I never really had pain witih scoliosis and my curves got fairly big before I finally had surgery. I do have a good bit of joint pain now (ankles, knees, hips) but it's not all related to my scoliosis. So if she's already having severe pain, you definitely want to stay on top of the treatment! I continued to play sports throughout being braced (basketball and horseback riding). Once I learned to adjust, I didn't really feel limited in my brace. I had surgery in July '01 and after six months, I was back to riding horses (I quit basketball, but not because of that haha) and still do it. I haven't had a single problem since. So I'm sure your daughter won't have to give up the sports she loves. As for the chiro, I've never been, but I'd ask her doctor to see if he thinks she should stop going. As for what to expect next, they'll probably take X-rays/review the X-rays and decide how bad the curve is. Then they'll look at things like how much growing she has left to do and the severity of her curve and decide how to treat it. If it's not bad (or if she's nearly done growing) they may leave it alone and tell her to come back for regular checkups. If it's fairly severe or seems to be progressing (especially if she still has a lot of growing left to do) they may brace her. Surgery is an option if it's severe and they don't think bracing will help at this point. But it's worth it even if it does come to that. The pain she's having now will probably not just go away on its own, but if it is related to the scoliosis then it should go away as her scoliosis improves. Good luck with it!
        Last edited by JumpTheMoon15; 02-15-2006, 10:55 PM.
        Susan
        18 years old
        Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis
        Diagnosed at age 11
        Braced (Boston brace) for 8 months during junior high
        Had surgery at age 14, July 2001

Comment

Susan,
          Thanks so much! My daughter read your message over my shoulder and it helped her mood a lot! She was pretty down about her sports. Your reply was just what she needed. Will keep you posted after the results are back.

Comment

If your daughter is interested in talking to other teens with Scoliosis,you might suggest the Spinekids website. They have a great forum and the kids not only talk about Scoliosis issues, but they also just talk about what's on their minds! Tell your daughter to feel free to e-mail my daughter, Jamie, at Spinesupport05@aol.com if she has questions about Scoliosis or just wants to talk.

Mary Lou
            Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Working...
            X