Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Philomena 52 yrs Anticipating Surgery Date

Karen,

I am so happy to have seen your post to have had surgery at age 60. I thought being 52 was insane to even think of doing it. I am told I will have 2 rods put on each side of my Lumbar spine: L1 thru L5 and there will be 12 nuts and bolts inserted to have my spine eventually fuse in the post opt period. I've been in so much fear of what I'll be able to do. I feel like I will be completly incompacitated. Each entry into my house has a step or 2 or 3 steps. Would you be able to give me some information in what I might need... hospital bed or special nurse... my husband works. I've been the maid, worked at a full time office job, exercised 1 hour each night after work and loved to work in my garden before the accident made everything worse on 7/9/2004. I am on medication for anxiety and depression already. Seem to be in the right frame of mind. Just want more information as what I'll need, who I'll need and what to ecspect upon coming home. Please... any information you could send me would be greatly appreciated.
    Sincerey,
    Philomena
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]xxx/FONT][SIZE-3]xx[SIZE]xxx

Philomena,
    I just had to reply for two reasons...I'm originally from Hacienda, was raised there as a child

I also had surgery at 52...now 56. My surgery was more extensive than what you are having. I had Anterior/Posterior from T4-S1, in a two part surgery. The hospital physical therapy people will make sure you can get up and down your stairs before you go home. I slept in my regular bed, with my husband and a lot of pillows You will not be able to clean house for a few weeks, so a housekeeper once a week will be helpful. If your husband is not handy in the kitchen...like mine , you might want to prepare and freeze some simple meals. My doc did not want me to use neither a cane or walker. But it may depend on your doc. I was able to get out of bed/go potty and fix my own lunch on my own when I got home from the hospital. You will sleep a lot for the first few weeks.....surgery is a truma and its the body's way of healing. I was on pain meds for a year/18 months, but again my surgery was more extensive. Prior to my surgery I took a swimming exercise class for 6 months. You will need the leg strength and upper arm strength after surgery.

This is a great board and you will find a lot of info here, from experienced people
    SandyC

Comment

For Philomena

I wrote you a private message w/ my e-mail. I also wrote a recent post about what helped me post op and would do all over again.

You are smart to do it now. I wished I knew I had the option. At age 52 my thoracic curve was 64 deg at age 60 it was 80 deg.

Wasted those years with increasing deformity/discomfort. I'm not the martyr type.

Karen
      Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
      Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Philomena, I'm 53 and just had surgery done too (october).... If i can do it you can, cause i'm one big wimp and i'm already back at work and walking without a cane .... Recovery takes a while and is easier on younger folks i think, but heyy.. we aren't THAT old... Click on the following link for some great advice to get ready for your surgery:

http://www.scoliosislinks.com/PreparingforSurgery.htm

Good luck... keep us informed..... JoAnn

Comment

Working...
        X