Help Finding A New Doctor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Finding A New Doctor

Okay so the other day, I was at the doctor and I found out that I have progressed to 44* and 39* even though I'm done growing. My doctor wrote off the progression as nothing, and he said he wouldn't even consider surgery on me until I'm at least at 55* and he also said that he does not want to see me again for a year. With my curves progressing, already being at or near surgery level, and him not wanting to see me for a year, I feel very uncomfortable and worried. Because of this I want to seek a second opinion, but the proplem is that my parents seem to think everything he's doing is fine. I'd kind of like to find some potential new doctors and share the information I find with my parents. I'd be interested in seeing doctors in the lexingon/lousiville kentucky area, or in the cincinatti, ohio area. If anyone has any experience near there or even can just provide a link to a website that can help find orthopaedic surgeons in a specfic area i'd be really grateful. thanks in advance!
    ~Leelee ♪
    [-] 17 years old
    _[-] 12th grade
    [-] scoliosis, 45T and 42 L
    _[-] kyphosis, 67*
    [-] Boston brace for 4 years
    _[-] Stopped 6/8/05 at 4:32 PM

Hi Leelee...

In Cincinatti, Alvin Crawford is very well respected:

http://www.cincinnatichildrens.org/s...n-crawford.htm

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks! He does look like a great doctor! Anyone else have any advice? I'll take all the help I can get!
      ~Leelee ♪
      [-] 17 years old
      _[-] 12th grade
      _[-] kyphosis, 67*

Comment

Leelee,

There is a Shriners Hospital for Children in Lexington, Kentucky. I'd consider this a good place for another opinion. If you read the posts on this forum, you'll see most everyone who has used Shriners has positive things to say.

Good luck,
        mariaf305@yahoo.com
        Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
        Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

ACCCK! I probably should have mentioned that. BUt Shriner's in Lexington is where I go now (seeing Dr. Iwinski) and I'm sort of unhappy with the treatment I'm getting now. There's another shriner's in cincinnatti, ohio, but I looked them up and they only treat burns.
          ~Leelee ♪
          [-] 17 years old
          _[-] 12th grade
          _[-] kyphosis, 67*

Comment

The Scoliosis Research Society has a physician locator service to find their members. The link is: http://www.srs.org/locator/default.asp
            For some reason searching within a city doesn't always work, so search for the whole state then find the one's in say, Cincinnatti. I think getting a second opinion is a great idea, so I would stress to your parents how much it means to you to get one.
            ScoliMed is Katie
            22 years old

Diagnosed at 13, thoracic 38, lumbar 49
            Posterior fusion 1999
            Failed, lumbar curve to 70
            Posterior removal 2000
            Anterior fusion 2000, thoracic 26, lumbar 37
            Still in pain, tried almost everything!
            Currently in medical school

Comment

Leelee,

I'm sorry to hear you are not happy with your current treatment in Lexington. I'm not sure what the statistics are concerning progression AFTER growth is finished so I can't comment on your doctor's decisions on treatment. (By the way, I also had looked up the Shriners in Cincinnati and saw they were a burn hospital). Good luck in your continued search.
              Last edited by mariaf; 02-06-2006, 08:15 AM.
              mariaf305@yahoo.com
              Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
              Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Thanks guys!!! Using the website given I was able to find another doctor in lexington!!!!! I didn't think there was another one besides shriner's, but that website showed me that there is ONE other! Lexington is the closest to me, and I'd prefer to go there because my parents aren't going to be thrilled about me asking for a second opinion, so the closer the better. thanks so much guys!
                ~Leelee ♪
                [-] 17 years old
                _[-] 12th grade
                _[-] kyphosis, 67*

Comment

Hey my doctor was Robert R. Madigan, MD. That's in the Knoxville, TN area. even though I have heard him talking about traveling to Nashville and other semi-local cities. check him out he was amazing. I have honestly never met a nicer doctor who could always keep a smile on my face.

Comment

Working...
                  X