Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UK Katharina Schroth Centre is now open!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK Katharina Schroth Centre is now open!!!

Hi,

I am very pleased to say that the Scoliosis SOS - UK Rehabilitation Centre for Scoliosis is now open and we are currently taking bookings for May 2006. For more information about the UK Clinic please visit www.scoliosissos.com

Scoliosis SOS Ltd. Rehabilitation Centre
    Top Street
    Martlesham
    Suffolk
    IP12 4RB
    England
    (00 44) 1394 383 258
    Email: enquiries@scoliosissos.com

This is the only centre in the world to offer rehabilitation treatment based on the Katharina Schroth method for English-speaking patients.

All medical staff are fully trained and certified in the Katharina Schroth method.

It is a completely safe, non-surgical and non-invasive treatment that has been used successfully in Europe since 1921.

Regards,

Erika Maude
    The Scoliosis Tree - www.erikamaude.com

Is this treatment helpful for adult patients?

I have been interested in this treatment program for some time, and I'm wondering if at 23 years of age I would be too old to benefit from it. I have a 31 thoracic curvature and would be reluctant to ever have scoliosis surgery due to a serious coexisting heart condition.

I'm from Australia and may be able to attend treatment. Could you please tell me how long a stay is necessary for international patients, and the cost of treatment.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Megan

Comment

consider Schroth treatment

Hi Megan!
      My 22 year old daughter (no recent XRays, but ~48T, 45L in ~2002),
      attended a Schroth program for 2 weeks in Stevens-Point, WI, USA in September and feels that it was very helpful. Like any exercise program, doing it for 30 minutes, 5 days a week, "for the rest of her life" is a lot to ask, but she wants to do that and put off surgery as long as possible. She says that she is essentially painfree since and feels "more flexible", has no
      functional limits (runs 3 miles), no shortness of breath, etc.
      If you're interested in her perspective, e-mail me and I'll send you her e-mail address. She has said that she would be glad to write to anyone about her experience. She's just busy getting on with living, and does not frequent the NSF website.
      -Jen.

Comment

if you want to try schroth, why not go to the "original" clinic in germany, more info via http://www.skoliose.com/Html/Englisch02.htm

Comment

Interesting, are you able to give an overview of results up till now. How many have been treated?

Comment

What kind of Shcroth exercises does your daghter do now?

I'm an adult (age 47) interested in pursuing Schroth method of exercises.
            Do you know of any other adults who have tried this?
            Did your daghter find the exercises painful or difficult to do?
            What types of specific exercises do they have you do on a daily basis?
            alli4

Originally posted by gardenjen
            Hi Megan!
            My 22 year old daughter (no recent XRays, but ~48T, 45L in ~2002),
            attended a Schroth program for 2 weeks in Stevens-Point, WI, USA in September and feels that it was very helpful. Like any exercise program, doing it for 30 minutes, 5 days a week, "for the rest of her life" is a lot to ask, but she wants to do that and put off surgery as long as possible. She says that she is essentially painfree since and feels "more flexible", has no
            functional limits (runs 3 miles), no shortness of breath, etc.
            If you're interested in her perspective, e-mail me and I'll send you her e-mail address. She has said that she would be glad to write to anyone about her experience. She's just busy getting on with living, and does not frequent the NSF website.
            -Jen.

Comment

What's your opinion of Schroth method of exercises?

Do you know of any adult success stories using Schroth method?
              alli4

Originally posted by gerbo
              if you want to try schroth, why not go to the "original" clinic in germany, more info via http://www.skoliose.com/Html/Englisch02.htm

Comment

Alli4

Hi Alli : I am a Physical therapist with also scoliosis and has been treated and received certification as a Schroth therapist in Germany and Spain.
                Now , I am pain free and in private practice in Palo Alto , CA
                (650 )494-2359

Comment

Daily Mail article

Being an avid reader of the daily mail on line i came accross this article

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...4&in_a_source=

Having read the article i have a couple of questions with regards to this technique which i hope could be answered

1) What if any published evidence is out there with regards to the stability of the curve once the patient has completed the course and gone home?

2) Two and half thousand pounds is a heck of a lot of money to be spending on a treatment that lasts for only 4 weeks and consists of doing exercises for upto 8 hours a day. Could someone explain what else is in with the treatment package if anything?

3) What advice would a practitioner of this type of therapy give to a patient who presented an extremely large curve. All the before and after pictures i have seen are of patients who appear to have relatively small curves to start with (i could be wrong and am prepared to be shot down for saying it)?

4) It appears that the patient will have to exercise for 1/2 an hour a day everyday for the rest of there lives this is one heck of a commitment to make. Its ok for the fit and young but what happens if you laid up in bed with a nasty illness or in hospital for a significant amount of time does the curve start to progress again and if so how fast and does it supass the original degree of curvature?

5) Have any studies been made into this and if not why not. I would have thought something that has been around since the 1920s would have had enough patients through for such studies to be conducted?

6) Would a practitioner of this treatment advice a patient to seek surgical intervention due to the size or complexity of a curve?

7) What formal medical training and qualifications do practitioners have to hold before being allowed to practice and are they recognised by the British Medical Council and is this field regulated by the BMC (obviously a question for the Brits)?

Lots of questions i know and i have more but i feel when treatments are being offered to potentially vulnerable patients with frantic parents then questions need to be asked and answered especially when the treatment costs a lot of money and surgical intervention (however unpalatable to some but it is not an option with some with extremely large curves) and physiotherapy and bracing can be had on the NHS which is free because we all pay into it with our taxes.

Thanks in anticipation

Z

Comment

Hi Zuma,

We've been discussing this in depth over on scoliosis-support.org (there are a lot of Brits there as the forum is based in the UK). There are a lot of inaccuracies in the Daily Mail report. Rather than cut and paste everything I wrote there, here is a link to our discussion.

Personally if I were someone with a curve that was on the borderline for surgery, and wanted to try this sort of therapy, I would go to one of the European clinics that teach the original Schroth Method rather than "scoliotherapy" that is only "based on the Schroth Method"!

Cheers,

Toni

Comment

Hi Toni

Thanks for the response

I am a bit sceptical of these kinds of treatments especially when i read sensational claims like we are the first and only English speaking non invasive treatment for scoliosis in the world.

I like you found a number of inacccuracies in the Daily Mail report. I would hope that the inaacuracies were reporter error and not information given by the clinic as the errors were basic, fundamental and sensational of problems that are extremely rare in there occurances

I would hate for someone who needed surgical intervention be put of seeking the correct treatment due to these fundamental mistakes and by this kind of reporting. If the clinic is getting such basic facts wrong then what otther inaccuracies are they telling potential clients

I will check out your website and links with interest

Z

Comment

Working...
                      X