Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Books for girls?

Hello,
    My 10 year old niece has idiopathic scoliosis and just recd her brace. Does anyone know of any books about a child with scoliosis ? The only books I found involved a child wearing a brace and ended up needing surgery. I want to encourage her to wear her brace and thought a book with a "happy" ending (i.e. no surgery) would be comforting.

Appreciate your help!
    Lorraine

There's a book by Judy Blume called "Deenie" where a girl named Deenie wants to be a model and she gets a brace. It's a happy ending with no surgery. But there is a lot of stuff in it about masterbation and I don't know if you want your 10 year old reading that. But that's the only book coming to mind right now. Some other people might have more advice for you.
    ~Leelee ♪
    [-] 17 years old
    _[-] 12th grade
    [-] scoliosis, 45T and 42 L
    _[-] kyphosis, 67*
    [-] Boston brace for 4 years
    _[-] Stopped 6/8/05 at 4:32 PM

Comment

kk

well deenie is a really good book but it might not be appropreate and by the way when i was firat getting my brace i didn't want my mom to have anything to do with it

Comment

There's also a book called, Growing Up with Scololioisis. It's the diary of someone from 5th grade till she gradutes high school.

Comment

There's an S on My Back, Growing up with Scoliosis

My daughter loved reading a two books, "There's an S on My Back - S is for Scoliosis" by Mary Mahony and "Growing up with Scoliosis" by Michelle Spray. They have a more contemporary account of a normal young girl's journey through Scoliosis than Deenie (also a good book, but 30 years old.) They cover diagnosis, bracing, surgery and recovery. Even if your granddaughter doesn't ultimately go through all of that, the first several chapters of the book could be good for her.
          My daughter even did a book report on one of them, complete with a miniature back brace to show her class.

Comment

Plastic Back

Hello! I know this has been a while, but I just joined the forum and saw this post. My name is Anna Rakes and I'm a teacher and author. In March I published my first novel, Plastic Back, about my experience wearing a back brace for scoliosis during middle and early high school. While the book is fictionalized, it is based on my actual experience. Unlike some other scoliosis books, Plastic Back is not solely informational nor is it scary for younger scoliosis patients. In fact, Plastic Back, the story of Anna Beth's battle with her "shell" is couched in the classic awkwardness of pre-teen life in middle school and is both honest and hilarious.

Plastic Back won Editor's Choice and Publisher's Choice awards from its publisher, iUniverse. It can be purchased at some Barnes and Noble bookstores in Virginia as well as nearly all online bookstores (Amazon.com, bn.com, iuniverse.com etc.) and from my personal website: www.annarakes.com.

Plastic Back has been my effort to provide a resource to young people with scoliosis that they can identify with-- a real character in an honest account of life with a brace.

If I can be of any help, please feel free to contact me at anna@annarakes.com.

Warmly,
            Anna Rakes
            Teacher/Writer
            Author of Plastic Back
            www.annarakes.com

Comment

Books for girls w/Scoliosis

I found a great book on this forum when I clicked the hyperlink for "books". The true story is about a girl with scoliosis who loved to dance ballet. She was braced, curve(s) progressed, had surgery and went on to become Miss America. I read the book and than I gave it to my 16 year old daughter to read. I would recommend for ages 13 and up.

Comment

Working...
              X