Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Envasion of Privacy?

Hello,

My school/state requires scoliosis checks in 5th, 7th, and 9th grade. In our final check, we are checked in front of our whole gym class, stripping down your shirts. I really wish they had a different way of checking that is more private, and letting you keep your shirt on. I am not overweight by any means, but I have a stange desease that I have glands sort of like a woman, a rare medical condition. It is very embarrassing to be seen with this in front of 30+ students. Not many people ever knew of my condition, not even my parents know. I don't like to swim or anything in fear of people seeing my condition. In turn, I wish they would have checks with scanning in the schools to protect the privacy of students. I have had this condition as long as I can remember, and people seeing it is very dread.

Your thoughts?

I'm really sorry you feel uncomfortable doing this in front of all your classmates. I know how cruel other teens can be. Been there myself years and years ago.

Is there anyway you can get your doctor to write you a note excusing you from the public test but still doing it but privately?

When I was in school and my teens are now, they have not made them take their shirts off for this.
    36 year old single mom of teens ages 14 & 15.
    Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
    Fused from T-3 to S-1 (sacrum)
    Curve pre-op = 70 degrees
    Curve post op = 20 degrees
    No pain anymore!!
    Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

Comment

You shouldn't of had to take your shirt of for this. Our doctor never even asked our kids to take their shirts off to check for scoliosis. I think your mom needs to complain, as I do feel your privacy was invaded. It should of been done privately for every student. You don't necessarily know how another student was feeling about their body either.

Comment

Hi Verin...

I'm really sorry that your school does it that way. Maybe you could ask your school to provide a simple movable divider to protect your privacy.

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
        X