Can this be handed down to kids?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can this be handed down to kids?

I have two sons and I'm wondering, seeing as how my scoli is so bad, can I hand this down to them?
    I know it is most prevalent in girls but boys do get it.
    Should I be getting them checked for this soon?
    I do not want them to go through years of pain like I did before finally getting help.
    If they have it, I want it treated while they are still young ya know.
    36 year old single mom of teens ages 14 & 15.
    Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
    Fused from T-3 to S-1 (sacrum)
    Curve pre-op = 70 degrees
    Curve post op = 20 degrees
    No pain anymore!!
    Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

Katblack, can this be handed down to kids. Research is starting to change it's mind a little about this. My nephew has scoliosis, I have scoliosis and all three on my daughters have scoliosis. One has had surgery, one wears a brace, and one was just released as a wait and watch. So, with that in mind, I would say yes it is genetic.

I would have them checked and keep them checked for it. Boys tend to not show signs of it until later as a teen because they have their growth spurt then.

Start with your pediatrician and if the boys show a sign of scoliosis go on to a pediatric orthopedic surgeon, Shriners Hospital is great.

Keep us posted how things are going.
    Nikki

Comment

Thanks.
      I was adopted so I don't know what kind of genetic things I am going to hand down and this has always been on my mind. I'm going to make them appointments once I'm out of my surgery and recovery. Then get them checked every 6 months or so.
      Nip it in the bud as soon as possible.
      Anterior/posterior spinal fusion on February 9th & 16th 2006 with Dr. Anthony Moreno who now has his own practice.
      No pain anymore!!
      Google is your friend

I am not a doctor and will never give medical advice. I will support and answer questions from personal experience only.

Comment

in response

katblack- I think you and I got off on the wrong foot and you misunderstood me on the other page. As for your post here yes it can be handed down...also common in siblings. i was treated by shriner's when I was young and they are saints. do such good for kids. Both of my sisters were checked by shriner's often b/c they were certain they would get it too. lucky chicks never did. but i thank heavens for that. I would not wish this on my worst enemy. I would get your kids checked too.
        Katie- age 28
        Ironman Triathlete in Training
        Love the outdoors, my family, rescue dogs, and this wonderful challenge of scoliosis which has shaped who I am today
        Diagnosed with scoliosis at 12 Braced '92-'94
        Curves before chiropactic care: 47 thoracic, 45 lumbar, no cervical curve, lots of pain
        With chiro so far reduced to 32 thoracic, 31 lumbar a beautiful cervical curve, 175% inc lung capacity, 401% inc range of motion, 1/2 in taller balanced legs pain free and only getting better.

Comment

Perhaps we did, time will tell.

I do plan on getting them checked like I said after my surgery and recovery is over.
          We have an amazing children's hospital here in FLA called All Children's. They have a great ortho team and Dr. beck is one of the best children's orthos around.
          No pain anymore!!
          Google is your friend

Comment

While scoliosis can be handed down, about 80% of cases are idiopathic, meaning no known cause (http://www.iscoliosis.com/causes.html). I have pretty severe scoliosis (currentloy 31* post op, but it's been as bad as 70*) and no one in my immediate or extended family has it. I also a couple close friends with it who don't have a family tendency. It certainly never hurts to get them checked, especially during puberty when they're growing quickly, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it!
            ScoliMed is Katie
            22 years old

Diagnosed at 13, thoracic 38, lumbar 49
            Posterior fusion 1999
            Failed, lumbar curve to 70
            Posterior removal 2000
            Anterior fusion 2000, thoracic 26, lumbar 37
            Still in pain, tried almost everything!
            Currently in medical school

Comment

I have scoliosis and wore a brace as a teen. I noticed my son's scoliosis when he was 10 because I knew what to watch for. I was hemming a pair of pants for him and noticed 1 leg kept coming up slightly shorter than the other. I checked his back and noticed 1 hip seemed higher than the other. Like ScoliMed said, I wouldn't lose sleep over it, but I certainly would check their backs periodically to see if there has been any change.

Renee

Comment

I just did a research project on scoliosis and I read that If someone in your family has scoliosis, then you have a 25% chance of getting it. I was also adopted so worrying about my siblings getting scoliosis isn't the case. I'm not sure that the 25% thing is true, because some of the info on that website looked iffy, but it was the only concrete number I could find, so I just went with it.
                ~Leelee ♪
                [-] 17 years old
                _[-] 12th grade
                [-] scoliosis, 45T and 42 L
                _[-] kyphosis, 67*
                [-] Boston brace for 4 years
                _[-] Stopped 6/8/05 at 4:32 PM

Comment

yeahh im 14 now and my sister is 11 and she doesnt have any signs of scoliosis yet. but my chiropractor checks her everytime i go (like every month). i wouldnt worry about it. and if they do (hopefully they wont) it wouldnt be your fault.
                  Diagnosed @ age 14 (now 15)

i HAVE A LOVELY SPINECOR BRACE

CUrVES* 14&&17 as of 4.22.06 (out of brace)

ATLANTA, GEORGiA

Comment

Just check your kids back all the time, but if you don't suspect anything thing don't go directly and xray them because radiation at such a young age is bad for them.

Comment

I have Marfan's syndrome which causes scoliosis. With Marfan's you have a 1 in 2 chance of passing it on. I had no idea I had this until I had a child and we were diagnosed together. Head of genetics at UMASS hospital told me that if you do not have a parent with this the chances are 1 in 20 mil (not exactly sure on number) or so of a spontaneous genetic mutation. There for one of my daughters has a 1 in 2 and the other a 1 in 20 mil. There is so much to yet to learn this info could change over night. Being that my scoliosis was thought to be idiopathic until my child had it I don't know that this could be one of those dormant genes that rears its ugly head a few branches down the family tree.

I had the DR check my children every 6 months and Low and behold that is how it was found.

Comment

I have Idiopathic Scoliosis and it's very unlikely that it'll be passed down to my children, do you have that?
                        Adolescent Idiopathic Thoracic Lumbar Scoliosis

Back Pain started in October 2001
                        Diagnosed - June 2003

Thoracic and Lumbar curves- 37 degrees
                        Started Hospital examination - June 2003
                        Discharged from hospital - November 2006

Comment

Heredity and scoliosis

There have been many studies in recent years looking for genetic roots of scoliosis and other spinal deformities, but unlike many other obviously genetic diseases, scoliosis seems to be incompletely penetrant, which complicates things. Incomplete penetrance means that even if a child receives the "disease genes," there is a chance that the affected child will still be normal.

One gene that has been identified is Pax-1 (paired-box protein 1), a transcription factor (protein that controls gene expression) that seems to be involved in early development. The Pax-1 gene is located on chromosome 20. However, there are so many variants of this gene that it is still not known which alleles (variants of the gene) can cause scoliosis. Most of them appear to be recessive, but that is still not known, either. Since Pax-1 mutations appear to cause more severe cases, there are still a lot of other genes out there that could possibly be linked as well.

A good review article that discusses genetic and clinical aspects of scoliosis (including other identified candidate "scoliosis genes") can be found at:

http://www.clinmedres.org/cgi/reprint/1/2/125
                          28 degrees cervicothoracic, 34 degrees thoracolumbar, not diagnosed until age 34. Get yourself and your children screened early!

Comment

They are 12 and 14 year old males.
                            My youngest looks good but I am worried about my oldest. Now that I am straight, had a successful anterior/posterior surgery last month, I am noticing my oldest right shoulder a little higher than his other.
                            I am going to schedule him an appointment to be looked at for June when I get permission to go out and about and do stuff again.
                            I am in a brace for 4 months and have a lot of restrictions because they fused from T-3 to my sacrum(S-1).
                            I am allowed to sit for 20 minutes every 4 hours so pc time is limited and stuff like that. No bending, twisting.
                            Blah.
                            All I really want to do is clean my house and cook a damn meal.

Sorry, got off on a tangent there...lol
                            Last edited by katblack; 03-23-2006, 11:28 PM.
                            No pain anymore!!
                            Google is your friend

Comment

Kat,
                              Wish I were in town, I would come clean and cook for you.
                              Cyberhugs,
                              Cheryl
                              God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

Working...
                              X