Surgery Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery Experience

If you have had surgery, what was your condition like during the first few weeks?
    Last edited by Jill K; 02-18-2004, 09:43 PM.
    Surgery: June 4th, 2004
    Main curve: 44 degrees
    Location of Curve: Upper Right Part of Back
    Surgery Type: Posterior
    T4-T12

?

the first few weeks of what? the recovery period?

Comment

In my case, LOTS of pain, and LOTS of medicine
      Tiffany

Comment

For about a month i felt very tierd and sleepy and had no energy. I was in some pain but took strong medication, it wasnt my back that hurt it was my side. The doctor said that its normal for your ribs to be the thing that hurts more than anything else! Its been about 2months since my operation and ive only just started to feel back to my normal self.

Comment

Well, I remember being in a hospital bed that I rented in my home..which was great it helped me get out of bed and positioning myself better...I remember crying from all the pain...taking pain meds and it not working...so the first month sucks really bad...sorry but thats the truth....
          CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
          fused T4 -L3
          Hip graft
          Grown 1 1/2 inches
          25/o upper T 15/o
          53/o T 15/o
          37/o L 6/o
          Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
          New York City

August 6, 2004
          Pulmonary Embolism
          complication from surgery

January 2007 currently
          increasing pain at the T4/5
          point irratation heardwear

Comment

i was fine & had nearly no pain, but i got tired quickly
            *ANGIE* 14-15 y/o
            had operation in september 2004
            a rod was put in:T10-L3
            My curve was 50* & is now 7*
            "All that glitters is not always gold & diamonds in the rough do not always shine"

Comment

Hi Jill

Hey Jill. My name is Ross. (Ross was already taken, so I used my first name). I'm 15 and from Southwest Louisiana. I had surgery 6 months ago tomorrow. The first week after surgery I was in the hospital. I remember the day of surgery even though it was a little blurry. I had one of those hospital gowns on, so I remember telling my family that they might want to move to the other side, because the nurses were about to turn me, and they were going to be mooned. hehe. The second day was a real blur. The third day I was sitting up and eating. I got the Foley catheter out, so I started walking. That was a challenge. You sort of have to teach yourself to walk again. The fourth day, my brother came to see me, and I could tell you everything that we talked about. Thats how alert I was on that day. I remember that the hospital (which is 5 hours from my home and all of my family) had a bbq, so they had a Mango smoothie for me. It was SOOO good to have after not having alot to eat for days. On the fifth day I came home. The first 2 weeks home were a challenge. I got so fatigued and tired so easily. I didn't move alot. I had a brace made just for people with Scheuermann's Kyphosis Disease and Scoliosis called a Jewett Brace, so it was really hard to lay down and actually sleep. So, I had to sleep in my recliner for like 7 weeks. Then I could take it off to sleep and take a shower. The third week, I would go and sit outside and play with my cats until the pain got too bad (which was about 5-10 minutes). Then on the fifth week, I got to go to my school for about an hour for our homecoming pep rally. I was so excited. On the 7th week, I went to the doctor who told me that I could go to school from then on. I was so lonely for my friends. That's about it! I hope this helps! Ross
              Matt

Rod Removal Surgery 2/4/2008
              www.myspace.com/ross40728
              Had surgery on 9/20/04
              81* Scheuermann's Disease
              40* Left Thoracic Scoliosis
              U Rod Inserted
              Fused from T2-L3

Comment

Surgery one month ago

Hello, my son Matt is 13 he had 2 surgeries last month. They took a rib the first surgery the 2nd they put the rods in. He was in alot of pain but the medicine helped alot. I can remeber that in the middle of the night between 3am and 5am was his worse pain when his body was fully relaxed. That was the worse for him. When he came home 15 days later he still woke in the middle of the night with pain about 2 weeks. During the day he was able to do things without pain. He cannot lift anything over 5lbs and he cant run, jump, bend, twist, no activity for a year until the rods and the bones fuse together. Thats why they took his rib to help secure the rods to the spine. He isnt in a brace but he did have to wear a brace before surgery to try to detour the curve but it didnt help. He had 3 curves one was 70 degree and one was 60 degree and the last was 45 degree. the rode they straightened T1 thru T 12 all of the thorasic. Here is my site and pictures of his back before and after surgery.
                http://www.dreamsawaiting.zoomshare.com/0.html

Comment

the first day i slept and the medicine didn't agree with my stomach so i was pretty miserable the next day i was off the pain meds and just taking tylonel also sitting long enough to watch three movies. i was walking around american funinicher wearhouse for 3 hours also sitting in a care 1 1/2 hours there and 1 1/2 hours back but i got out of the hospital really quick 3 days the next couple of weeks were really easy i felt really good but thats just me
                  ~Shannon~
                  Surgery: May 25th 2005! Woot!
                  13 months Post-op
                  E-mail me!:
                  starchild_81212@yahoo.com or Star_child_81212@msn.com

Comment

Working...
                  X