Exercises for kids in braces?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exercises for kids in braces?

Quick question for all of you smart people out there on the NSF site. My son, Alex, who is 6 is now wearing a TLSO "Boston" brace for 22--23 hrs. per day. The pamphlet that came with his brace mentions that he should have exercises to do both in and out of the brace? The pediatric ortho surgeon he sees for his scoli did not mention any specific exercises, just said he's not restricted as long as the brace allows the movement. No mention from him about any SPECIAL exercises.

Does anyone else with a child in a brace know of specific exercises for scoli brace wearers? Maybe I should have asked specifically, but forgot after the 2+ hr. drive to his office and waiting almost and hour for the x-rays to be done yesterday. Oopsie!

Thanks, Everyone!

Hi Kim,

Call the orthotics place (where the brace was made). They should have a PT who works with kids in braces. The PT should be able to give you specific exercises he can do. I think that basically the ortho is telling you that being an active healthy 6yr old is the best therapy. He can do anything that promotes physical activity. Braydon LOVED to hang on things. Hanging is great to stretch those side muscles and keep the soft tissue pliable. Doing as many things to keep his upper body strong is important. Braydon loves to do pushups. Pushup contests were a regular sight at our house. Have him help you come up with things HE likes to do that will be good exercise. Riding a bike (as long as he has good balance) can be good.

Good luck and keep up the good work.
    Carmell
    mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

thanks Carmell :>

Thanks Carmell. But the place where we got it says to ask the doctor, so I guess I'll be making another long distance call? Grrr...

BTW, I did check and the MRI did include the base of Alex's brain and everything was A-OK. Good news! Thanks for that pointer too!:> You are SO SMART!

Comment

Hi:

Our surgeon said the best overall exercise for Caitlin while she was braced was swimming. The body is supported and it provides both strengthening and cardio. Of course, you take off the brace to swim, but even though she was on a strict 23/7 schedule, the surgeon didn't mind her being out of the brace a little longer, if it was because she was swimming.

In addition, she had a Pilates-style set of exercises (leg raises, pelvic tilts, etc.) and a set on a Swiss ball (specific stretches and also just sitting on the ball while watching TV or whatever, as the adjustments required to avoid falling off make for a little workout). The logic behind all of these was that in the brace, the abdominal muscles can weaken, and you want to avoid that. These exercises were all prescribed for her by a PT.

She was also encouraged to keep up with all her regular activities, including dance class, badminton and PE. Sometimes these were harder to do in the brace than out (it's a bit harder to breathe for one thing), but that was really minor, and she just did everything anyway.

Cheers - Patricia
        Patricia
        Scoli Mum from New Zealand
        Daughter Caitlin's surgery 2nd May 2005
        Posterior fusion T3 - L1

Comment

Working...
        X